Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast

Thread: Headphones

Cool How to mend broken headphones

With a bit of solder and nimble fingers bring a new lease of life to your headphones and avoid shelling out for an expensive new pair

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeands...ken-headphones
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Earlier in this thread (in case someone's read it ) , I posted about finding a pair of
    Sennheiser HD-25's that really endeared themselves to me. I really,really like them.

They were made in 3 versions: black for studio/mixing , blingy for the in-flight on BOAC's
    Concorde trans-Atlantic service, and blue for Addidas. prices have ranged from 249-300 in late 1990's.

Yesterday I was at grab-o-rama and finished out the day. Went out to load all on the bike bags.
    Figured that i needed 1 more pit stop (those diuretics sure do their job ) before leaving.

Went back into the store and they were pushing more out. I did a quick lap of the tables and noticed some funky blue cans and took a look ... yup that was the Addidas version (my friends thot they were "Skull Candy's). Untangled the cord and plugged into my nano . Sonic bliss

They not only play great, but have original earpads in nice condition too. .38 lbs @ $.69 a pound.

https://www.pocket-lint.com/headphon...dphones-review

Sennheiser has a long heritage as a maker of quality headphones and it's easy to see why. The sound performance offered by the HD 25-1-II really is superb, being both well-balanced and extremely clear. You can really hear the quality when it comes to bass performance, which is full of depth and punch even on the most bass-laden of tracks.
    Attached Images Attached Images     

spent some good time with the new Senns last night (tho only run off an
    iTouch) ..quite impressive.

I had forgotten how good these are, as the black pair need the replaced ear pads
    replaced again (and I didn't need an earful of crumbling vinyl)

The black & blue Addidas ones are fine on complex music, tho they don't really improve
    poorly recorded 60's stuff.

The classics like Santanas "Gypsy Queen" and Stills "Go back Home" did send tingles thru me.
    On newer stuff like the ST from 007's "Skyfall" really gave them a chance to show off.

They are capable of hard hitting bass while delivering balanced mids & highs. Some Beatles
    tunes were a bit trill.

One ear slide was cutting in & out (prolly why they were donated) and so I pulled the Senn plugs
    and reseated them ... seems to have solved problem.

So, I'm happy. here is a Japanese site showing them.
    >> http://20cheaddatebase.web.fc2.com/s...ser/HD-25.html

At this point, I'm wondering why Senn didn't make more closed back models

https://www.headfonia.com/sennheiser-hd-25-1/
    https://www.musicradar.com/news/tech...dphones-578648

From 1989 to 2004 British Airways used the HD 25 BA for Concorde passengers. Due to their excellent performance in high-noise environments, they were perfectly suited for passenger use on planes, blocking engine and wind noise with their closed design and secure fit. Music professionals and performers travelling in style took notice. Passengers liked them so much; they occasionally took the headphones with them.

The forward character of the HD25-1 makes it one of the best Rock headphones of all time, where the forward vocal is matched with the punchiest upper bass in this comparison. The HD25-1 has a good amount of treble, although not as extended as the M-50, the SRH-840 or the AKG K181DJ. The slightly rolled off treble of the HD25-1 is actually preferable for Rock music, as it is less fatiguing over long listening periods.

Part of why the HD25-1 is so addictive is the punchy, tight, and focused bass impact of the HD25-1. For Electronica music, the M-50’s bass is the ultimate, beating the HD25-1, the SRH-750DJ in sheer bass force. But for rock music, the M-50’s doesn’t nearly have the agressiveness of the HD25-1 and the SRH-750DJ, and among the two, the HD25-1 just have the best PRaT and presentation for fast and energetic music. The M-50’s bass is also less focused than the HD25-1, making it less ideal for fast Rock and Electronica.

got a pair of these JBL Everest Elites yesterday

sound pretty damn good - wired from iPod
    havn't checked or setup BT since I don't give a ratsazz about that feature

tho comfortable, the ear cups got quite warm after abt 20 minutes.
    will gift to my son, who can use them .. I've too many cans already

https://headphonereview.com/over-ear...te-700-review/

http://www.trulynet.com/15479/Gadget...-point-future/

There’s a free JBL Headphones app, available via Google Play and or the Apple App Store, which allows you to customize your audio even further with equalization settings. And tapping the TruNote button triggers a calibration that takes only a few seconds and creates a custom filter based on the specific shape and fit of the headphones to your ears. It’s pretty cool, if still an early idea that will likely become even better in the future- like the ‘smart button’ configurable controls that were nifty

These JBL cans are pretty comfortable, and collapsible, with big cozy earcups- not the best we’ve seen but good for their size and weight. With 40mm drivers, these can output some decent power. The overall audio signature is fairly aggressive, with plenty of bass on the low-end but pretty sharp treble and a bit of coldness that makes these better suited for EDM, rock or rap rather than acoustic or country. You might notice a bit of compression with some presets, and a low hiss that is common to most noise-canceling headphones- but after some burn-in time and some adjustments, we were pretty impressed with what the EE 700s bring to the table. They’re fairly expensive and certainly bigger than some, but that leads to better battery life and improved isolation. Available now, expect to spend around $300 for the JBL Everest Elite 700s, and make sure you update the firmware to ensure the best support and experience.

snagged a nice pair of these yesterday

very light & sound better than their 1981 vintage.

picked up quite a few cans since last post. This last 3 days alone, grabbed
    a nice pair ATH-50 and some DT880pro's in need of a new plug.

Was lazy last night , so instead of hauling out the big Senns, I went the EZ route and fished out an iPod Touch and IEMs.

The IEMs were Shure SE-210's ...after being impressed with them, especially on the ST of SKYFALL - The James Bond movie , I looked to the reviews of them this AM.

They are either LOVE = "As for audio performance, aided by gold-plated connectors, the SE210s are a good all-round performer, with noticeable strengths in defining mid-range frequencies. When put to the task of playing the powerful live rock performance of Endless Sacrifice by Dream Theater, the SE210s rendered John Petrucci's melodic guitar harmonies exceptionally well, while still letting Mike Portnoy's frantic drumming to pound into our skull like a war drum.

Cut to the instrumental climax of Endless Sacrifice and the guitar's distortion cuts into the skull with force, without taking anything away from the impact of the drums or the furious keyboard performance - Even with the volume cranked up almost to the maximum, definition is almost unhindered, and although no frequency powerfully stood out, no frequency took a significant drop in clarity either."

or HATE = worst I've ever hear , or some such.

I don't know how new IEMs could be much better , except maybe even more low bass (not even really heard in natural music) , anyhow, I also found my SHURE E-3's and will demo tonight to compare.

Been using the Senn HD-6xx's with the Creek amp that's on the headboard. it's a good combo.

sometimes tho headphones are just not the way that I want to listen that day. I flipped the Creek around and looked at speaker connections. (just got it last summer) . It ONLY has banana plug ports and oddly , tho it only supports 1 pr. of speakers, there are 3 speaker outs for each side (6 total).

There is a central black comm & white, red on both L & R . one side is labeled "switched" and the other "unswitched" WTF does that mean ??? W-B-R

downloaded the manual. What is means is that hooking the speakers one way is that when cans are plugged in, speakers STOP and of course the opposite if turned the other way.

Never have seen this option on an amp, but it works OK. Hauled out an old pr. of Minimus 7's , hung from the wall and wired in .. sounds PDG.

So each speaker is attached to red and black -or- white and black.
    Weird, but makes sense. Have to keep those headphone jack contacts clean
    Fun to see this... thx.

Quote Originally Posted by grumpy View Post
    So each speaker is attached to red and black -or- white and black.
    Weird, but makes sense. Have to keep those headphone jack contacts clean
    Fun to see this... thx.
    yup , I guess it's for those fun times when you want speakers & 'phones at the same time
    or to be like all others/normal .

once that's all sorted , it is pretty quiet , small enough for a headboard , doesn't get warm and at 30wpc really runs my setup well.

Koss PRO-4, PRO-4A and Pro/4 AAA Plus headphones

J. Gordon Holt, Bill Sommerwerck | Jun 9, 2020 | First Published: Dec 1, 1963

https://www.stereophile.com/content/...lus-headphones

Pro/4AA ... My first real headphones. I'd wear those things until my head ached (took about an hour, maybe two if it was really good music).
    The liquid-filled ear pads eventually gave out. I don't -think- I kept them.

Quote Originally Posted by grumpy View Post
    “The electrons need to be aligned once again.”

perhaps try a camber adjustment.
    Don't forget the muffler bearings and blinker fluid. You'll need a left handed monkey wrench to add these vital items.

Did I do that? (spoken in your best Steve Urkel voice imitation)

Apple agrees to pay $9.75M settlement over alleged Powerbeats 2 ‘design defect’

A lawsuit called the wireless earbuds ‘shoddy’

https://www.theverge.com/2020/8/28/2...action-lawsuit

Thread Information