Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Headphones

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    If those are actually yours, how do you compare them to the tens-of-other headphones you have had?
    I thought about my previous answer, so last night I got out the 580's and listened with a pod in the rack. Everything I'd said was confirmed.
    I ran "Gypsy Queen' (part of Santana's Abraxas BMW) and it gave me tingles , really. Then next up was the live version of "Inna a godda da vita". It's 2 minutes longer than the studio version and the drum solo in the middle has 2 drummers, real impact. The 580's handled everything w/o problems and the bass was impressive when it was called for.

starting to think that I could get those hd-6xx's and pass my 580 to an appreciative son ?

yesterday I grabbed more cans , but I had not seen before. "Frequency Fan Club" , total isolation phones with volume control. They are made for racetrack communication, but sound pretty good on music too.

Oh yeah: those white comfortable PSB's a few posts back: the plastic headband broke in the middle , design flaw as many online had the same problem, customer service said "too bad". Then one ear stopped working. NO more PSB for me.

y'all would like the opening JBL reference on this review. See 2nd pic.
    https://youtu.be/RmWWRrvS0CU
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

I did a lot of reading yesterday about the Senn HD-650. Kinda talked myself into the MassDrop HD-6xx deal.

Figured that I haven't bought anything new since my Ranger in '04. 'Cides, my son loves his tunes and will care for the 580's.

If I currently had HD-600's, it would not have been as much an upgrade, but jumping 2 versions should be noticeable. The $199 delivered was just too much to resist.

Only downside is that delivery not expected until end of March. Guess I'll suffer along with the 580's till then.

Last night I had trouble sleeping so grabbed the big Sennheiser headphones and the
    60 GB iPod. Set the sleep timer for an hour and let it roll on shuffle.
    Had about 40 minutes of classic rock, but then up came Beethovens 9th Symphony
    (4th movement) . I turned it up and the Senns responded well. The climax sent
    goose bumps down to my feet. Timer ran out, but I was having so much fun that I set up
    another hour.
    I que'd up Thomas Newman's "Skyfall" soundtrack. When the phones get something
    modern and well recorded they answer like champs. So nice, gonna try again tonight

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atEmV1cqv2Y

That MassDrop sale has been going on for months and I was tempted but for the price of two HD598s, I'm not sure they're that much better, if at all. And I already have one HD598 and one HD598SE. I bought the first pair after auditioning probably ten much more expensive headphones at the local Crutchfield store and decided the 598 was my favorite then though I waited years for Amazon to offer them for under $100. When they did the same thing with the 598SE I also jumped because, well, I always hated that Maserati TC look of the original pair.
    from amazon:

Question:
    how do the hd 650's compare to the hd 598's
    Answer:
    I've owned both and I'd say the HD650 does everything a little better. They have similar sound signatures, but the 650s are more lush with greater impact. More natural overall tone, too.
    It's kind of like a BMW M3 vs M5 - they're similar in every way, but the M5 is a little bigger, beefier, badder.
    By Jeffrey Chandler on August 26, 2014

As to how they compare against the 589's, the 650's are a bit better - but I honestly don't think the difference is too great.
    As an aside, the 650's are the best pair of headphones I have ever owned. I have used them for everything from long periods of gaming, to movies and music, and I have never been dissatisfied.
    By William on August 27, 2014

By Agathon on August 27, 2014
    They both have "SENNHEISER" on them. They are both Open-Backed. They both have two ear cups and one headband. Both can swap out cables. As for build quality and sound quality there is no comparison other than to say the HD598 is a very cheaply made wannabe of the HD580/600/650 series. If Sennheiser Reference Grade Audiophile headphones are out of your current budget then I would recommend getting a pair of Sony MDR7506 or Audio-Technica ATH-M30X closed headphones. Both are far superior to the Senn HD518/558/598 series.

I own both and would say that the HD650s are smoother and have more bass presence, but the HD598s are more forward/energetic and have a slightly larger soundstage. That said, you really do need an amplifier to make the HD650s shine. I can listen to the HD650s practically all day with any music in comfort and not feel any listening fatigue. I am currently running all of my headphones on a Schiit Modi Multibit DAC and Vali 2 tube hybrid amplifier. The HD598s are perfectly fine on low gain but the HD650s run best with high gain. As others have said, the HD650s can take up to 50 hours to break in properly. see less
    Brandon answered on May 1, 2017

How do these compare to the sennheiser hd 598se?

My HD598's were a great introduction to open back headphones, but the HD650s are seriously next level cans.

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    Question:
    how do the hd 650's compare to the hd 598's
    Answer:
    I've owned both and I'd say the HD650 does everything a little better. They have similar sound signatures, but the 650s are more lush with greater impact. More natural overall tone, too.
    It's kind of like a BMW M3 vs M5 - they're similar in every way, but the M5 is a little bigger, beefier, badder.
    By Jeffrey Chandler on August 26, 2014
    Fair enough, but I'd much rather take an M3 to the track than an M5! Goes double for an E30 M3. Different horses for different courses.
    Sort of like saying the K1600GTL is more lush than an S1000RR. Fine, if lush is want you're looking for!

Dare we dig so far into the past as to compare Kodachrome with Fujichrome?

". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Fair enough, but I'd much rather take an M3 to the track than an M5! Goes double for an E30 M3.
    OKAY, but I was talking abt a "daily driver" , not a track pair (tho I did get some track cans just recently) - see ==>> http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...l=1#post410498 . Isn't your "daily driver" a 5 series ? Mine is a 21 speed.

Dare we dig so far into the past as to compare Kodachrome with Fujichrome?

I shot A LOT of transparencies and never touched Kodachrome (asa 25 ) . I was an Ektachrome guy (asa 64 ), but later transitioned to Fujichrome (asa 100 ?)

Isn't your "daily driver" a 5 series ? Mine is a 21 speed.
    Yeah, but an E34 5-series is about the same size as today's F30 M3. And if you've driven an F10 M5 to compare to the F30 M3 you might even prefer the latter as a daily driver.

"bigger, beefier, badder" are not always attributes that fall into the "plus" column. Even with headphones. Certainly not with motorcycles. Now if we're talking power-amps, maybe!
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

I still have my good old pair of Sennheiser HD 414X from the 70's in mint condition and use them once in a while. Senn Canada continues to stock and sell directly to consumers the original yellow ear foams that are still "Made in Germany" ! But my also good old Senn HD 480 Series 2 have a better quality sound (though I still like the 414 sound) and for these too Senn Canada has the original ear foams available, also made in Germany! I purchased a number of years ago the HD 437 but these sound more bassy than the other two models I have and the foams on that model are covered with fabric which may last longer...

Senn is the only way to fly for me: light, comfortable, good sound, reliable, reasonable pricing and parts availability for a very long time...

Richard

Audio 'visor keeps sending me catalogs since I once purchased something.

Their BIG push is DAC's & Headphone Amps. Massdrop is hawking those amps too.

It all seems like a good idea, but $100's to $1000's on an accessory that I didn't know
    I needed ? I have tried some small amps (to go on the headboard for nighty nite listening)
    Nothing worked out very well.

Today at the grab-o-rama, I pulled out some Pioneer SE-50's, Kenwood KPM's and a tiny
    Realistic SA-102 amp. Before buying the amp, I did a little research and found threads at
    headfi.org about using this amp for headphones only. (it's only abt 2 wpc) . They seem to think
    it makes a fine amp for this use, so I bought it. (and it seems bulletproof)

Came home and found right wire to run a iPod to it, a mini to standard plug adapter and tried out
    the Senn 580's. Very Nice.

IF you are hankering for a headphone amp, but don't want to spend big bux, this MAY be a
    worthy alternative. ..it's only 9 inches wide, will go abt anywhere.

Audio 'visor keeps sending me catalogs since I once purchased something.

Their BIG push is DAC's & Headphone Amps. Massdrop is hawking those amps too.

It all seems like a good idea, but $100's to $1000's on an accessory that I didn't know
    I needed ? I have tried some small amps (to go on the headboard for nighty nite listening)
    Nothing worked out very well.

Today at the grab-o-rama, I pulled out some Pioneer SE-50's, Kenwood KPM's and a tiny
    Realistic SA-102 amp. Before buying the amp, I did a little research and found threads at
    headfi.org about using this amp for headphones only. (it's only abt 2 wpc) . They seem to think
    it makes a fine amp for this use, so I bought it. (and it seems bulletproof)

Came home and found right wire to run a iPod to it, a mini to standard plug adapter and tried out
    the Senn 580's. Very Nice.

IF you are hankering for a headphone amp, but don't want to spend big bux, this MAY be a
    worthy alternative. ..it's only 9 inches wide, will go abt anywhere.
    Finally got some quality time with this amp and the HD580's. Wow. If I knew that it was making the 580's sound this good, may not have ordered the Massdrop HD-6xx's.

have read online that if you set the gain at about half, the amp works as class-A. You can get these for $20-30 and are quite nice if doing a lot of headphone listening.

For bed-time use my primary phones are Bowers & Wilkins P5 series 2. The specs show 22-ohm impedance. Otherwise I use either Sennheiser HD 598 or 598 SE which are rated at 50-ohms. I have no problem with any of these plugged directly into my iPod Classic. I suspect those of you who feel you need headphone amplifiers probably have cans with impedance specs around 200-300 ohms. I have tons of Crown amps with "monitor" headphone jacks that I've tried with all of these but I can't really say it improves anything, though I suspect a D45 would prove to be an excellent amp for those of you with high-impedance cans.

got another pair of these Senns today, acquit themselves very well

I have also found use for a headphone mini-amp. I use Sony MDR-1R phones to watch Netflix and Blu-ray and DVD movies. If company is in the house a pair of 4333s do the job, once with a 2ch Denon receiver but lately with a Class D mini-amp.

For the headphones, I chose a Dayton (Parts Express) DTA3116HP. It is a dual purpose speaker/headphone amp with a class D speaker section and a tiny Texas Instruments eight pin IC amp for headphones. The TPA3116D2 chip has been in production for over twenty years but it sounds very nice and at 150mw into the efficient Sonys is much louder than I can use. I have never gone past eight o'clock on the volume control, barely cracking it. This amp is tiny and very well finished, has both RCA and mini plug inputs and a separate on/off switch, a luxury in this class of amp. At zero volume there is a slight hum through the phones but it vanishes as you turn it up into listening range. It's about forty dollars. The board is pictured below if I post this successfully. The headphone IC chip is barely visible about half of the way down near the right edge, above two discrete caps. The headphone out jack is a 1/4 inch stereo TRS. This photo is larger than the actual amp.

Name:  Dayton Audio DTA3116HP.jpg
Views: 737
Size:  108.1 KB
    Information is not Knowledge; Knowledge is not Wisdom
    Too many audiophiles listen with their eyes instead of their ears

I did a lot of reading yesterday about the Senn HD-650. Kinda talked myself into the MassDrop HD-6xx deal.

Figured that I haven't bought anything new since my Ranger in '04. 'Cides, my son loves his tunes and will care for the 580's.

If I currently had HD-600's, it would not have been as much an upgrade, but jumping 2 versions should be noticeable. The $199 delivered was just too much to resist.

Only downside is that delivery not expected until end of March. Guess I'll suffer along with the 580's till then.
    Update from MD:

Hi Everyone,
    We’re excited to announce that your Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 6XX Headphones have
    arrived at the warehouse and they are now being prepared for shipment!
    Sennheiser will be shipping the headphones to our warehouse in batches, and we
    will be fulfilling the drop based on when members joined. Since you joined on
    the earlier side, your headphones are in the first batch.
    We’re looking forward to you receiving the Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 6XX
    Headphones ahead of schedule!

Great timing My son's family is coming in from Chicago at the end of March , and I can gift
    him with the HD-580's at that time.

Figured that I haven't bought anything new since my Ranger in '04.
    Except bought a new 2018 Outback Premium a month ago. Happy Mum.

The Senn HD-650's (err..6xx's) arived today

came across from NJ via Fedex, but delivered by the USPS (2 weeks before estimated date)

triple boxed, very professional, thx Massdrop

listened for 15 minutes before other distractions , seem right, right now ... no break in needed.

Having never heard 650's (but living with 580's for years) , they sounded exactly like what I
    hoped for. No veil, HF can be a little hot , but easily adjusted. Thunderous bass , I can find no
    fault with their sound.

Only slight neg is that they are a bit tight on my head, but am sure they will stretch a bit over use.
    Otherwise , very comfortable.

Overall, I'm a happy camper (for fine cans at a great price )

Thread Information