Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast

Thread: Headphones

picked up some Yamaha HP-1's recently

No, they won't replace the HD-6xx's. But they are very nice, especially for 20+ y.o. headphones.

They have the Mario Bellini sig, and I do like the styling. Very lightweight Orthodynamics
    that you can listen for extended periods. Usually I don't care for supra-aural's and prefer
    circum's , but being so light that you don't notice.

I have them running off the Technics "new class A" integrated amp fed thru the laptop's optical
    output to a 24/192 dac. In the early hours, I'm up before "the old bear" and therefore cannot run
    the 120Ti's.

Anyway, if you get a chance to try some of these, they are quite good.

Orthodynamic Roundup
    https://www.head-fi.org/threads/orth...oundup.111193/

The Mario Bellini headset design, revolutionary for its day, really was as comfortable as it looked, which explains why so many headsets have used a similar arch-and-strap design in the decades since. The magnets could have been twice as big and heavy (one can only imagine the bass output) and the phones would still have felt good. It's difficult today to imagine how much more comfortable the HP-1 was than the massive, head-clamping competition.

ALSO: an interesting article. What's the Most Important Headphone in the History of Headphone Enthusiasm?

https://www.innerfidelity.com/conten...husiasm?page=1
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

since I got the MassDrop Sennheiser HD-6xx's (650's) , family visited for a week, rental became vacant (5 weeks cleanup/paint) and bike riding weather has been really nice ... , I knew the new phones were good , but just didn't have time with them.

They run OK from the itouch, but just don't have the authority that I know they are capable of. So I did hook them to the little RS amp , but 1 of the pots has dropout spots and ruins the fun.

Today I remembered the old Yamaha YST-99CD tabletop CD player/FM/clock thats been sitting stored somewhere ?? Looked it up online and they didn't know where I put it either , but confirmed that it's 7.5wpc,
    https://www.radiomuseum.org/r/yamaha...abletop_c.html

so I dug it up , of course it HAD one of those detachable power cords (which was nowhere to be found) . Sourced an old Norelco cord, but of course it doesn't quite fit. Dremel time. Now it fits.

Wired in an i/p cable , attached the dap and plugged in the big Senns.

It likes the 7.5w , this MAY turnout to be my permanent headboard setup

So Tyll Hertsen just retired, for those that don't know the name .... he was probably
    the most respected headphone pro reviewer. A "no nonsense" guy, a BS-free guy.

https://www.innerfidelity.com/catego...-hertsens-blog

The replacement guy (Rafe) is sort of an Art Dudley clone, babbles on about non-related junk.

he'll fit in perfectly at Stereophool. so here is his answer to a this readers question:

Factory burn in
    Submitted by Rthomas on June 27, 2018 - 4:53pm

Hi Rafe,

I highly doubt that 'burn in' is a factor with Audeze headphones.

''Before Shipping we have now added a long burn in test on every headphone with Pink Noise at average level of 95 dB''

This is a direct quote from an Audeze blog post from 2011. So unless they themselves don't know how to burn in their headphones they should sound as intended fresh out of the box.....

Original link here:

https://www.audeze.com/lcd-2-update

Regards

Thomas

Burn-in...
    Submitted by Rafe Arnott on June 27, 2018 - 6:09pm

Hi Thomas, thanks for chiming in.

You're most welcome to "highly doubt" whatever you like. I'm not here to convince people.

Factory burn-in has had very little impact on most high-end gear I've reviewed as once the gear has been "burned-in" if it then sits on a shelf, or in a box, unused for months or even just weeks, the burn-in means nothing.

The electrons need to be aligned once again. Diaphragms need to be re-stretched, etc.

Internet commenters with little to no experience with high-end gear love to argue ad nauseam about burn-in, and its effects – or not, oh and cables too.

I don't see those arguments ever changing.

“The electrons need to be aligned once again.”

perhaps try a camber adjustment.

I tried my hand at a headphone review with a big thank you to Dr. Sean Olive for reviewing my work:

NAD Viso HP50 with Roomfeel Headphone Review

Hope you like it.

Kind regards, Mitch

Quote Originally Posted by Mitchco View Post
    I tried my hand at a headphone review with a big thank you to Dr. Sean Olive for reviewing my work:

NAD Viso HP50 with Roomfeel Headphone Review

Hope you like it.

Kind regards, Mitch
    that was what I expect from a fine review , not blathering about cats & shaving brushes (see Stereofool mag)

Mitch , your review gets a big 3 thumbs up from me. Glad you also know who Tyll is.

Quote Originally Posted by grumpy View Post
    “The electrons need to be aligned once again.”

perhaps try a camber adjustment.

won't drive straight

I was thinking more along the lines of uneven wear.
    Don’t want asymmetric burn-in!

Nice article Mitch!

Thanks SEAWOLF97 and grumpy. It is most unfortunate that Innerfidelity has gone the way of aligning electrons... This seems to be an industry trend as there are only a few audio sites left that provide objective measurements. Audio Science Review and Archimago are the only ones I can think of... I hope to continue providing a balance of subjective and objective reviews of headphones (and loudspeakers) over time. Thanks again for your comments.

Kind regards, Mitch

Quote Originally Posted by Mitchco View Post
    Thanks SEAWOLF97 and grumpy. It is most unfortunate that Innerfidelity has gone the way of aligning electrons... This seems to be an industry trend as there are only a few audio sites left that provide objective measurements.
    Kind regards, Mitch
    I've bookmarked both those sites you recommended , will peruse later.

SPile does have 1 no-nonsense, fact based reviewer .. J.Atkinson. But only 1 decent author does not a good magazine make.

>>I hope to continue providing a balance of subjective and objective reviews of headphones (and loudspeakers) over time.

let us know when your next comes out ??

AT's wannabe copy of Senn HD6..'s

https://www.theverge.com/2018/7/6/17...nal-headphones

Anytime neutral sound and a sub-$400 price figure in the same discussion, headphone enthusiasts will instinctively point you toward Sennheiser’s long-tenured and universally respected HD 600. It’s no overstatement to say that the R70x are basically Audio-Technica endeavoring to build its own version of the 600s. When I spoke with engineers inside the Japanese company, one of them cited the Sennheiser HD 650 — a close sibling of the 600 — as his all-time favorite headphones, and it was apparent that Audio-Technica measures itself against its bigger German rival.

snagged a pair of these couple of days ago. looked online, they seem to have a huge following.
    sound pretty good , even driven with a nano.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

My experience with these is that they're good for business (e.g., hearing what's wrong... I used mine for live recording/monitoring),
    but a bit less so for pleasure (eventual listening fatigue). I also have the similar MDR-V6, which (between the two) I enjoy more for casual listening.
    Fun catch, regardless

Sennheisers

Was working Night Watch last week, monitoring an email stream 7PM-12 for work, while watching movies on Netflix between mail batches.
    Emma went to bed at a reasonable time, and since our bedroom is above the TV room, and I like a bit of volume with most films,
    for the rare occasion, I dug out my ancient Sennheiser HD 450 phones. Think I got them around 1992.

Wired, of course, with a 10' extension cord to get to me from the Integra Pre/Pro in the Salamander rack under the TV.
    Its a bit intermittent, so I was please to find replacement headphone cord available in factory store!
    All these years I've owned it and never realized there were baby plugs where the wires enter the cups!

Name:  Sennheiser-HD450_7063.jpg
Views: 675
Size:  123.0 KB
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Its a bit intermittent, so I was please to find replacement headphone cord available in factory store!
    All these years I've owned it and never realized there were baby plugs where the wires enter the cups!
    Yeah isn't that a great feature! My Audio technica have that as well I have trashed a couple of headphone sets over the years for bad cords

Rob
    "I could be arguing in my spare time"

Thread Information