Thread: Van Morrison's Born to Sing: No Plan B

Van Morrison's Born to Sing: No Plan B

If you're like me and grew up with Gloria and My Brown Eyed Girl then you may also have lost some interest in Van over the years as he meandered along his life path. I've also owned some fairly crappy re-issues of his vinyl classics on CD that are almost unlistenable. So it was with some hesitancy that I put his latest in my queu at Amazon to order when I needed the bump to the free-shipping minimum. And boy am I glad I just took the plunge. This is a nice album, well recorded and fun to listen to, even when Van takes over the Sax duties (okay, he's gotten better, if still not "good). Track 2, Going Down To Monte Carlo, is destined to be a new Van classic. Track 4, End of the Rainbow, is just a pretty tune so well recorded you can hear the true character and personality in a distinct voice that has entertained for so many years it's hard to believe. Enjoy the first cuts 'cause he certainly didn't save the best for later. At his age he's entitled to the occasional clunker. Even Donald Fagen has proven that recently.

Maybe it was the Amazon AutoRip feature that made me appreciate the CD version. Once ordered, Amazon includes a download into your Amazon Cloud library so I was able to listen to this on my iPhone through Bluetooth on testdrives before the CD arrived. Hey, it was free. But the CD is, as expected, much better than the download and if I remember correctly it cost just 50¢ more than the MP3 download alone

The horns (other than Van's alto sax) are great and well recorded and Paul Moore's bass playing is a treat, especially listening on the 4345s. Don't know anything about him other than his credits seem to include several other Van albums. I hope he gets more work! All in all, I'd recommend this album to Van Fans as well as those hungering for another well-recorded jazzy album to add to the collection.

Name:  51TIFKBddQL.jpg
Views: 387
Size:  39.2 KB
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Thanks for the suggestion and review. I just ordered one for my collection since I'm from that music era.
    XPL 200's w DX1, XPL 160's, XPL 140's, L7's, L5's, L3's, L1's Homemade L Center, 4412's, 4406, L60T's, L20T's

So many great Van Morrison albums from different times in his career -
    I'm not sure jumping into such a late career album is the best approach.

Looking at his later works I would highly recommend these 4 or 5 at a minimum ...

1982 - Beautiful Vision

1986 - No Guru, No Method, No Teacher (hands down my fav album in fidelity and musicality - just awesome!)

1988 - Irish Heartbeat (w/The Chieftans)

1989 - Avalon Sunset - (slower, more reflective and romantic songs)

1994 - A night in San Francisco (2 disc Live album of some note)

All those are a great evolution of van's musical chops, his lyrical gifts,
    and a great intro if all you know are the early classics like

1968 - Astral Weeks
    1970 - Moondance
    1971 - Tupelo Honey
    1972 - St Dominick's Preview
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

While I expect none to care, I consider the moment Van topped even his own greatness was his Irish album, Veedon Fleece.
    Information is not Knowledge; Knowledge is not Wisdom
    Too many audiophiles listen with their eyes instead of their ears

Heather is spot-on with the recommendations. If I hadn't been a great Van fan for four-decades already, I'd not have taken the plunge into this, his first studio album in many years. Born to Sing showcases his talent but, coming at this point in a very long career, it requires some forgiveness he's certainly earned.

Just to show how deep my devotion runs, I even cherished TB Sheets back when it was originally released!
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Thread Information