Thread: Need Help Porting an enclosure

Question Need Help Porting an enclosure

This is my first post. I hope I put it in the right location. There seems to be a lot of very knowledgeable and helpful people on this forum that I can learn from. I do not have any speaker building software available to me so I am requesting assistance from the members of the Audio Heritage Forum to help me find the proper port size/dimensions to get the best sound from these cabinets. Your input and advice is welcomed and appreciated.

I am currently building a set of enclosures to be used for sound reinforcement. I am using divers that I already own. Using other drivers would create a cost issue that would kill this project. Each enclosure will house (2) JBL 2225j and a (1) JBL 2445j and will sit on top of an EV 180a loaded sub cabinet. The cross-over duties of this system will be covered by the DSP in the XTi series amps (1 XTi 1000 running stereo for the horns, 1 XTi 1000 running mono per cabinet for the 15's, Xti 4000 running the subs)

The enclosures have an internal volume of approximately 6.2 cubic feet with the drivers loaded. I have enough room for 2 ports up to 4" in diameter and 2 more up to 3" in diameter. I know this should have been included in the design before construction began, but it seems I had a Brain-Fart that day. The end-goal of these speakers are for sound reinforcement, so obviously SPL is very important. But I do not want to sacrifice sound quality to get the volume.
    Thank you very much for your time.

You probably have Excel on your computer. Use it with this spreadsheet to calculate the cabinet's volume and port tuning depending on what you need. http://www.troelsgravesen.dk/ports_files/ports.zip

Unfortunately I do not have excel. (note to self... get excel.) This PC is a 2004 version of XP. But thank you Lee, I'll save that link for when I get it... Soooo, we're back to needing help again...

Presumably the spreadsheet will run with OPEN OFFICE (Free).

Have you used Win ISD ? 2225J is in the database.

http://www.linearteam.dk/default.aspx?pageid=winisdpro

Your XP should support it and its not a data heavy app.

The upper range of your 2225s will most likely be around 400Hz, while the lower range of the 2445 will be around 800/1000Hz unless you run a big horn. You'll therefore be mising something in between. As fas as calculating the port for the cabinet, you will need to use a simulator to find the best compromise between sound quality and output level. There's not one universal answer, only one best compromise tat suits your needs. You'll want 2 , 3 ir even 4 ports, but all of the same size. Here's a quick calculator that only gives a very partial answer as it doesn't tell how the drivers will behave in term of response and excursion (it only tunes a port to a certain frequency given a cabinet size) : http://www.psp-inc.com/tools.html

Are you thinking 2245? 2225's play easily and well above 800Hz, JBL's highest recommended crossover is 1200Hz.
    If we knew what the hell we were doing, we wouldn't call it research would we.

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee in Montreal View Post
    The upper range of your 2225s will most likely be around 400Hz, while the lower range of the 2445 will be around 800/1000Hz unless you run a big horn.
    Why only 400 Hz? What happened to his particular 2225's?

Thank you for the links. this seems to be a good starting point.

JBL specs say 1200hz for the 2225 and 500hz for the 2445. I do find it odd that most treads I've read on the 2225 are from people talking about them used below mid-bass frequencies only. But JBL told me they are not good for lower frequencies... That they are not sub-woofers.

But JBL told me they are not good for lower frequencies... That they are not sub-woofers.
    They won't do the last octave 20-40Hz however they are good to 40Hz and have a slam factor that can peel paint. Run them in a box program one driver in 4 cubic ft the cinema boxes are pairs in 8 cubic ft.

Look for Win ISD http://www.linearteam.dk/default.aspx?pageid=winisd

It has all the JBL drivers preloaded in the program also look here:

http://www.jblpro.com/BackOffice/Pro...ts/enclgde.pdf

Rob
    "I could be arguing in my spare time"

Quote Originally Posted by Robh3606 View Post
    They won't do the last octave 20-40Hz however they are good to 40Hz and have a slam factor that can peel paint. Run them in a box program one driver in 4 cubic ft the cinema boxes are pairs in 8 cubic ft.

Rob

That makes sense now. Did JBL also use the 2225 in 2 way cabinets with a compression driver?

Obsolete
    The 4670 with dual 2225's instead of dual E145's along with the serpentine lens was always a hoot and a holler...

There were later versions of that configuration too, I just don't remember the model numbers anymore.

The important part is that it was a 4508 box. One can stick whatever they want on top. Even a SAM1HF!

Quote Originally Posted by Student View Post
    That makes sense now. Did JBL also use the 2225 in 2 way cabinets with a compression driver?
    Yes : http://www.jblproservice.com/pdf/The...eries/4673.pdf

You really need this link to do your background research :

http://www.jblproservice.com/NAVIGAT..._nav_tech.html

Great info. 👍 Thanx. ✌

Thread Information