Thread: Amp suggestions for my L300's?

Amp suggestions for my L300's?

I've been breaking in my new "Duanage/Nelson Pass" crossovers (thanks Duane!) using my Mac 2105. The new crossovers are MUCH more detailed - I've had to turn the Lpads way down to take the edge off. I never thought the 2105 was a perfect match for these speakers - I loved the tight fast bass it produced but the mids and highs were always a bit bright and harsh to my ears. I have had the amp brought 100% up to spec.
    I tried the L300s with a restored Fisher 500c and LOVED the mids and highs (this was even with the orig crossovers) but the bass was no match for the SS 2105. I recently sold my 500c, and my new L300 crossovers are split for bi-amping. I am now in the market for a sweet tube power amp to handle the HF driver duties with the MC2105 on the woofers.
    I prefer a warmer "more romantic" tube sound, and considering how clear and detailed the speakers have become with the new crossovers I think a warmer amp would fit the bill. I don't need big power as this amp won't be driving the woofers, just something small/med and sweet as candy. I do like to listen loud on occasion, so I'm not sure I could go the SET route. I was thinking maybe an El84 amp like a Fisher SE-100? I mostly listen to older classic rock, instrumental funk and jazz. I will be controlling both amps via my Juicy Music Blueberry Xtreme pre, but I think I'd like to stick with vintage amplification. Any suggestions?

Leak Stereo 20...... cute as hell and so sweet on top...
    JBL S3100, VPI HM19 MKIV w/SAMA, Moerch UP4 ,Hana ML cart, Blackdog VTP , Audio Note M2 line stage, Perreaux PMF 1850.

Man that Leak looks very sweet - though a bit out of my price range at this time unfortunately. I went ahead and pulled the trigger on a custom built little 7189 amp - its basically a "power amp only" version of Stromberg Carlson ASR-433, built with original SC transformers but all new caps/resistors etc. I have yet to hear any sort of 7189/el84 type amp so I'm excited.
    It's around 14wpc so I think that should be enough juice for the HF driver section of the L300's. I'll be using my Mcintosh Mc2105 on the woofers, controlling both amps with a Juicy Music Extreme preamp. I'm new to bi-amping - does anyone know if it is at all harmful to the HF drivers (077 slot tweeter and LE85 mid horn) to feed them a full range signal? Will deeper bass frequencies damage them at all? The amp I will be trying this with is only 14wpc, but I just want to be safe!

as long as you are running through the x'over it will filter out the low frequencies
    JBL S3100, VPI HM19 MKIV w/SAMA, Moerch UP4 ,Hana ML cart, Blackdog VTP , Audio Note M2 line stage, Perreaux PMF 1850.

Thread Information