Thread: New crossovers for my L300's!

New crossovers for my L300's!

I'm putting some new crossovers in my L300s and I am PUMPED to hear the results. I've re-capped a few sets of speakers in the past, but since I don't know much about the science/art of crossover design I decided to outsource the job to someone who actually knew what the hell they were doing. Lansing Heritage member Duaneage was kind enough to volunteer to assemble these for me. I went with the Nelson Pass re-designed version of these crossovers. Dayton resistors, Jantzen cross-caps and superior Z caps were used. Duane did these RIGHT with custom etched PCB boards and serious soldering skills!

I wanted the option of bi-amping these in the future without getting into external electronic crossover territory, so the crossovers were split into 2 separate boards - one for the HF drivers and one for the LF.

I got lucky with a bi-amp ready binding post assembly from PE - it fit the existing hole in back of the cabinets like a glove and looks to be a big improvement from the cheesy particle board and old binding post arrangement.

The biggest pain was getting the "foil-cals" off to install the L-Pads - a hair dryer to melt the glue and a small palette knife did the trick nicely.

I got one speaker done last night and was able to A/B between the new and old crossovers. WOW what a difference! I thought the old ones were good and couldn't imagine a HUGE improvement but thankfully I was wrong. Everything is SO much clearer and less grainy sounding in the HF. The bass is now shockingly well defined too - going back and forth between the two speakers (old vs. new xover) its amazing to me how seemingly blurred together all of the instruments are in the old vs. the new. Needless to say I am blown away and am putting in the second new crossover STAT . Thanks again to crossover guru Duaneange for his awesome skills and advice!

Quote Originally Posted by Crestwood23 View Post
    I'm putting some new crossovers in my L300s and I am PUMPED to hear the results. I've re-capped a few sets of speakers in the past, but since I don't know much about the science/art of crossover design I decided to outsource the job to someone who actually knew what the hell they were doing. Lansing Heritage member Duaneage was kind enough to volunteer to assemble these for me. I went with the Nelson Pass re-designed version of these crossovers. Dayton resistors, Jantzen cross-caps and superior Z caps were used. Duane did these RIGHT with custom etched PCB boards and serious soldering skills!

I wanted the option of bi-amping these in the future without getting into external electronic crossover territory, so the crossovers were split into 2 separate boards - one for the HF drivers and one for the LF.

I got lucky with a bi-amp ready binding post assembly from PE - it fit the existing hole in back of the cabinets like a glove and looks to be a big improvement from the cheesy particle board and old binding post arrangement.

The biggest pain was getting the "foil-cals" off to install the L-Pads - a hair dryer to melt the glue and a small palette knife did the trick nicely.

I got one speaker done last night and was able to A/B between the new and old crossovers. WOW what a difference! I thought the old ones were good and couldn't imagine a HUGE improvement but thankfully I was wrong. Everything is SO much clearer and less grainy sounding in the HF. The bass is now shockingly well defined too - going back and forth between the two speakers (old vs. new xover) its amazing to me how seemingly blurred together all of the instruments are in the old vs. the new. Needless to say I am blown away and am putting in the second new crossover STAT . Thanks again to crossover guru Duaneange for his awesome skills and advice!
    Hi Crestwood23,

If, I am right, You are talking about the mr. Nelson Pass L300 modification explained in:

http://www.firstwatt.com/pdf/art_l300.pdf

that has been some discussion in here :

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...l=1#post342372

That is very interesting experience for the most of the L300 (4333/1) and its "look-alike" owners, like me.

Best Regards
    Ivica
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by Crestwood23 View Post
    I got one speaker done last night and was able to A/B between the new and old crossovers. WOW what a difference! I thought the old ones were good and couldn't imagine a HUGE improvement but thankfully I was wrong. Everything is SO much clearer and less grainy sounding in the HF. The bass is now shockingly well defined too - going back and forth between the two speakers (old vs. new xover) its amazing to me how seemingly blurred together all of the instruments are in the old vs. the new. Needless to say I am blown away and am putting in the second new crossover STAT .
    That's great!

The new network should give a completely different result. And this is what we have always been preaching, the network can make or break a system. The components themselves are very nice components overall.

One thing to remember though, the original network was designed to work within the entire 43xx line of Studio Monitors. There was a method to the madness. Many people never cared for the sound of any * of the 43xx line and, consequently, the L300. * Well, except for the 4301 and 4313. I've yet to meet anyone who didn't at least like those two.

Thread Information