Thread: L100

L100

Hi friends.

I have a fiend that have a pair of L100. The fronts are as normal rotten up. Is there anyone that can make new fronts? Problem 2 is that he has destroyed also the frames, so this have to me made new.

He want to sell them to me, but I advised him to restore them

Anyone?

Rolf

Hi Rolf!

The following is -opinion- not recommendation:

This would likely be an effort of love, not of investment. The few folks here that are capable of complete
    cabinet restoration seem to concentrate on higher-end models for a reason (and work on their own smaller
    projects for personal joy/interest).

-Replacing- a front baffle is difficult/significant work, one could fabricate reproduction cabinets ($$).
    Or, if the front baffles are in poor shape, but capable of supporting the drivers with a clean repair/respray...
    that would keep them much closer to being 'original', if that is important to the owner (and -possibly- more
    value to a collector).

New grille/frames/foam(?) being required anyway, which I expect will not be inexpensive... another option
    would be to keep them as they are, until suitable empty (or more restorable) cabinets can be located.

Just thinking out loud. Hope your friend can enjoy them in whatever form they may take.

-dave/grumpy

L100 Grills & Foams

I have a pair of aftermarket frames that still need the foam insert. I haven't added those yet. I do have a set of original JBL brown cloth replacement inserts with badges that can go inside the aftermarket frames.

Bill

Hi. Nice to hear from you since the GT event. I remember a forum member that did this. Can't remember his name (nick) Was it "Sonofagun" or something?

Kind regards

Rolf

Quote Originally Posted by grumpy View Post
    Hi Rolf!

The following is -opinion- not recommendation:

This would likely be an effort of love, not of investment. The few folks here that are capable of complete
    cabinet restoration seem to concentrate on higher-end models for a reason (and work on their own smaller
    projects for personal joy/interest).

-Replacing- a front baffle is difficult/significant work, one could fabricate reproduction cabinets ($$).
    Or, if the front baffles are in poor shape, but capable of supporting the drivers with a clean repair/respray...
    that would keep them much closer to being 'original', if that is important to the owner (and -possibly- more
    value to a collector).

New grille/frames/foam(?) being required anyway, which I expect will not be inexpensive... another option
    would be to keep them as they are, until suitable empty (or more restorable) cabinets can be located.

Just thinking out loud. Hope your friend can enjoy them in whatever form they may take.

-dave/grumpy

between billysbassplace (previous post) and this recent thread (below), It would appear your friend might have frames and foam covered:

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...l=1#post343743

Hey there. I don't know if I'm the "Nick" you referred to, but I did build a set of L100's, check my post;"L 100's in Cherry". I can tell you it is very labor-intensive. I can help talk you through the steps, if you like. There are a few tricks to making the grill frames. Good luck either way.Nick

Thread Information