Thread: JBL 4435 Newbie, Woofers need repair

JBL 4435 Newbie, Woofers need repair

Hello Forum

I will be picking up 2 4435 cabinets today. I am looking for answers to these questions

1. Woofer repair: The surrounds are shot but I'm afraid there could be other problems too. Some of the drivers are seized up. Who does repairs to these drivers?

2. Amp recommendation. I am new to vintage studio gear and want to get the best sound from these monitors, so I'm looking for guidance on this one. Tube vs Not, etc, you know the drill

3. Speaker placement. How High?

Thanks For any help

Quote Originally Posted by Danthemadhatter View Post
    Hello Forum

I will be picking up 2 4435 cabinets today. I am looking for answers to these questions

1. Woofer repair: The surrounds are shot but I'm afraid there could be other problems too. Some of the drivers are seized up. Who does repairs to these drivers?
    A official JBL service center. http://www.jblproservice.com/
    Probably -very- roughly $1000 for all four, but you should check current prices
    and availability (the recone kits appear to be less than when I last had this done).

2. Amp recommendation. I am new to vintage studio gear and want to get the best sound from these monitors, so I'm looking for guidance on this one. Tube vs Not, etc, you know the drill
    If not bi-amping, I would suggest a -good-, high-current capability solid-state amplifier of 200w+/ch.

3. Speaker placement. How High?
    Embedded flush in your wall, 4-5 feet up from the floor, angled down to the listening area

oh... in a living room without demo/construction? Get the center of the horn up
    to ear level or slightly below... or slouch in your chair.

I'm sure others will chime in. Enjoy.

Some of the drivers are seized up.
    Doesn't sound good at all.

- if you push the cone in two or thre different locations and that in places it moves and not in others, it means the coil is partially stuck. Most likely a shifted magnet. It usually only happens when a driver is dropped. Makes me wonder how such a driver ended up like that iof still in its cabinet. It can be salvageable but it won't be easy. Sure need a recone kit.
    - Wherever you apply pressure, the cone stands still. It is possible then that the driver has been subjected to a high dose of DC and that the coil has melted in the gap. Literally welded. The driver is not reusable. It is junk. Don't ask how I lost a prerfectly good 2118...

If either hypothesis proves right, then start looking for 2225 empty baskets (about $25 each) and have them reconed. That shall be at a cost of around $1000.00

When you get the cabinets, spend some time trying to gently push and pull the cones until they move. Hopefully the original baskets can be saved.

spend some time trying to gently push and pull the cones until they move.
    If you're comfortable doing that... or unless you want to dive in to the self-repair chasm

I'd recommend just taking them to a shop you have some trust in (e.g., they can show
    you example work and swear on a holy book that they will use JBL-supplied recone kits),
    rather than risk damaging them further. Someone more local to you might even recommend
    a repair center. I can vouch for at least one such center, but it's in Southern California
    (worth shipping if you can't find a local place).

I found a local shop that is the "go to" place for this type of repair, JBL certified and only uses JBL authentic replacements. He quoted me $800 which I thought to be very fair, but the replacement cones are on back order until May.

Thanks for the fast reply. I thought the forum would automatically generate an email an notify me of a reply but it didn't.

I'm sure I'll have more questions!

Dan

I found a local shop that is the "go to" place for this type of repair, JBL certified and only uses JBL authentic replacements. He quoted me $800 which I thought to be very fair, but the replacement cones are on back order until May.

Thanks for the fast reply. I thought the forum would automatically generate an email an notify me of a reply but it didn't.

Dan

Dan
    Oh but there is an option for email notification to a thread reply, very practical I find.

I changed your e-mail notification settings... in the future you will be notified of replies to your future posts.

Of course you can always go into your profile and turn that off later if you choose.

Widget

Again thanks for all the help. I can't believe it's a whole year since I got on here!

It took a little saving but I had the drivers professionally reconed by a JBL authorized service company. It cost more to do a genuine JBL cone but I wanted to keep everything authentic. Now,as far as the amplification is concerned-

I work on electronic church organs and we use commercial amplifiers for new installs. I have some QSC CX series amplifiers and wondered if they would do the job. I currently have a CX302, CX502, and CX254. I also have an active crossover so I have the option of bi-amping or not. What is the opinion of the forum on the amp selection/setup, bi amping vs not, and x-over point and slope if bi amping.

Any other random setup suggestions, random facts or input is also appreciated and encouraged.

Thanks for being patient with this newbie!

Dan "The Mad" Hatter

Thread Information