Thread: Loudness Contour

Loudness Contour

I was listening to some old Rock records the other day and thought that they didn't sound as full as I had remembered... thinking back on it I realized that way back when I always had an integrated amp or receiver with a loudness contour, and I almost always had it engaged.

This got me thinking...How many out there listen with equipment sporting a Loudness Contour? And how many of you have it engaged?

Now a corollary... how many listen to Surround AVRs as their primary music system? As far as I know, no AVRs have such a feature. I suppose there are a number of younger members who don't even know what a Loudness compensation circuit does or it's intended purpose.

Widget

My first hi-fi was a mono JBL 030 system with a mono Pilot integrated that had both a variable Loudness and a Volume knob so I adjusted to taste since I was about eleven-years-old when it first came into my possession. Eventually I figured out what it was really for!

My next was a Kenwood receiver with loudness switch but was soon replaced (around 1968) with a (used) Mac C20 and Fisher SA1000 and a matching 030 for stereo. The Mac had a variable Loudness knob and a good manual that explained how to operate it. It was usually engaged to some extent, increasing the compensation at lower volume. For full-tilt outside party use I dialed it all the way back. I still have the C20 but it's not in use on a daily basis.

Today the main system front end is Soundcraftsmen Pro-Control-Four with a Pro-EQ-44 in one of the loops set and used as a Loudness control but used only at low listening levels and not on all recordings since some already overemphasize the highs and lows.

So I guess my answer would be I didn't always used loudness contouring and, when I did use it, I think it was as it was intended to be used.
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

it has been awhile

My recollection is the loudness contour was a bass bump or equalization curve intended for low listening levels. It was something I needed to disengage at higher volume to keep the amp stage from distorting. (not that I never lost a tweeter in my early under powered days. ). None of my current gear has the circuit, the bass boost is now cabinet volume/driver dependent.
    Vertical horn kind of guy

I use an old McIntosh C24 pre-amp with my ancient JBL 080 system. The loudness control is ALWAYS engaged a minimum half-way to almost full on. Otherwise the sound is far too bright...

One of my systems has a loudness contour that is always engaged.

That said, it's kind of different. It is a selectable feature in the DBX 4800 called Auto Warmth. You get to choose the upper limit of frequency that it effects, the boost curve below it, the volume threshold that it becomes active and the maximum level of boost over reference, (LF gain increasing while the volume is dropping.
    Done carefully it is seamless, to me its almost worth the price of admission of a 4800 by itself. It makes low level listening truly enjoyable for me. It sounds nothing like a sub-harmonic synthesizer, which usually sound terrible to me.
    If we knew what the hell we were doing, we wouldn't call it research would we.

Never had one of the nicer volume control linked loudness function on anything I owned... Started out with a loudness "switch" that was useful but obvious when engaged (it was toggled often). More recently, I inserted a Meyer VX-1 that can do a loudness curve (to taste) fairly easily, has a mono button (often left out of minimalist preamps), and an EQ defeat. I like it but it is an expensive box if only used to provide a loudness function (that still isn't linked to the volume knob).

Marantz 7 loudness function

The Marantz 7 has Fletcher-Munson "loudness" compensation built into the bass/treble (stepped) controls. To my ear, it was perfect. Usually used 1-3 bass clicks depending on whatever. Left the treble flat for the most part. If you look in there you will see a LOT of gold band resistors! Today, I use several pre-amps and, like you, miss the loudness boost at normal listening levels.

I've generally used it too , as most of my playing is at low to moderate levels , BUT don't think that listening level is the whole key to using or not.

Another factor is the character of the speakers being used .. some need it , others don't. The Altecs that I've heard are usually "bassy" and LC makes them "over the top"

Also , if used with or piggybacked onto the RIAA curve, it can be too much.

of course, having it off and using EQ is preferred, tho it doesn't address low gain conditions.
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

The old Pioneer SX___ series had/have it and I always liked it for a little extra punch depending on the material.

More recently (6yrs ago ) I purchased a Vincent sv236 hybrid amp and that surprisingly has a "Loud" button on it as well and same deal, I use it sparingly though.
    I like it quite a bit but I like to see what the material sounds like first without it before I think of engaging it, nice feature imo.
    As others have mentioned, it comes in real handy at lower volume levels. Its a nice unit, well built & sounds fantastic with upgraded tubeage, one of my favorite pieces of gear in the arsenal.

generic picture.
    Just Play Music.

Many AVRs and some pres have something similar in their "Night" mode or whatever the particular brand calls it. Push the button in at night--or any time--you have to listen at low levels and, voila!! the bass and sometimes the highs are boosted to give you full-bodied sound at low listening levels. BTW, by push the button, I mean one that's usually on the remote.
    Out.

Every car stereo from 8 track to cassette to cd had the loudness switch. Like most other people I used it unless playing loud. It was very helpful in an automobile.
    XPL 200's w DX1, XPL 160's, XPL 140's, L7's, L5's, L3's, L1's Homemade L Center, 4412's, 4406, L60T's, L20T's

My first Yamaha CA-600 integrated amp in 1977 initiated me to their variable loudness control (Fletcher-Munson curves) and I have never given it up. I still use the amp daily - plus a Yamaha CR-820 and CR-2020 and their A-1000 integrated amp (all with variable loudness) rotate among different setups. The Yamaha C-60 preamp I use also has it. Very nice application for low volume listening.

On the other hand, my Sony 6060F from 1969 has your "traditional" loudness switch that boosts frequencies, particularly bass, and it "thumps up" my L200 pair at lower volumes.

Quote Originally Posted by Wornears View Post
    On the other hand, my Sony 6060F from 1969 has your "traditional" loudness switch that boosts frequencies, particularly bass, and it "thumps up" my L200 pair at lower volumes.
    Those "traditional" loudness switches were meant to interact with the volume control where the bass increase is supposed to be the inverse of the volume setting. From my experience some of these worked better than others. They are all supposed to be the inverse of the Fletcher-Munson curves in both frequency and amplitude much like the RIAA curve though for entirely different reasons.

Therefore they should also boost the high frequencies as well... and I do remember at least some of the components I have owned do boost the highs too.

Widget
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome View Post
    Many AVRs and some pres have something similar in their "Night" mode or whatever the particular brand calls it. Push the button in at night--or any time--you have to listen at low levels and, voila!! the bass and sometimes the highs are boosted to give you full-bodied sound at low listening levels.
    My TVs have that, too. I think it works more on a compression principle than an EQ curve. Seems to run every frequency up to nearly equal levels so you don't miss the dialogue.
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Thread Information