Thread: Hypex nCore

Hypex nCore

Anyone tested hypex ncore based amplifier on JBL speakers? I tested this kind of amplifier in my system last week, and was "blown away"
    I am planning to build 3 monoblocks with bridged Hypex nc400 inside.
    The speakers I am thinking of to buy are Studio Monitor 4365 or 4429.

I have 4 of them, running my active system. For now they are in cardboard boxes () with some heatsinks but I hope to put them in better boxes soon.

Why do you want to run them bridged? You will loose some damping factor (not sure this is an issue though) and only gain some voltage capability, no current capability.
    If you really wants to run (2) ncores per speakers you would probably be better off with doing a passive dual amplification (and maybe going full active one day), with only one powersupply. But even then, Bruno Putzeys has stated that running dual wires (right up to the module terminal!) with a single module would already give most of the advantages of a dual amp, thanks to the very high damping factor.

Quote Originally Posted by pos View Post
    I have 4 of them, running my active system. For now they are in cardboard boxes () with some heatsinks but I hope to put them in better boxes soon.

Why do you want to run them bridged? You will loose some damping factor (not sure this is an issue though) and only gain some voltage capability, no current capability.
    If you really wants to run (2) ncores per speakers you would probably be better off with doing a passive dual amplification (and maybe going full active one day), with only one powersupply. But even then, Bruno Putzeys has stated that running dual wires (right up to the module terminal!) with a single module would already give most of the advantages of a dual amp, thanks to the very high damping factor.
    Nice. Which speakers do you use? Satisfied with the ncores?
    I have read reports of bridged ones sounding better. That is why. I will test it, if no sound difference at all I have 6 very good channels instead
    Also the power supply SMPS1200400 is cheaper than SMPS600. Needs some custom wiring, but I need it anyway because of the bridge setup. You should use one power supply when bridgeing to get the nice PS-noice cancellation effect of bridgeing, "they" say.
    I plan to use Hifi2000 Galaxy Maggiorato 230mm x 280mm x 80mm cases.

I use them to power my 4"/1.5" compression drivers and 12" midbass, both 16 ohms. One power supply per side is more than enough in this situation. I am using another amp for the 18" woofers (mc2 mc1250), for now...

I choose to stick with the SMPS600 because it was simpler to wire, and also because it is supposed to be tailored made for the nc400 (with another SMPS the nc400 is supposed to generate some more heat).
    You will find that the mc400 produce more heat than you would think. I will be using these chassis:
    http://cgi.ebay.fr/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...84.m1497.l2649
    2 amps and one powersupply per chassis, and the nc400 modules mounted vertically on the heatsinks (that will probably be difficult though, as internal height is 84mm and the nc400 are 88mm...)

Quote Originally Posted by pos View Post
    I use them to power my 4"/1.5" compression drivers and 12" midbass, both 16 ohms. One power supply per side is more than enough in this situation. I am using another amp for the 18" woofers (mc2 mc1250), for now...

I choose to stick with the SMPS600 because it was simpler to wire, and also because it is supposed to be tailored made for the nc400 (without another SMPS the nc400 is supposed to generate some more heat).
    You will find that the mc400 produce more heat than you would think. I will be using these chassis:
    http://cgi.ebay.fr/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...84.m1497.l2649
    2 amps and one powersupply per chassis, and the nc400 modules mounted vertically on the heatsinks (that will probably be difficult though, as internal height is 84mm and the nc400 are 88mm...)
    Yes, the nc400 will dissipate 5W more of heat if it has to use its internal regulator, hypex support told me. But no difference in sound.

Thanks

Thread Information