Page 92 of 113 FirstFirst ... 42829091929394102 ... LastLast
Results 1,366 to 1,380 of 1683

Thread: JBL Master Reference Monitor

Hello nnicot!

Welcome to Lansing Heritage.

That response curve looks very good indeed for an in room measurement. I have a question about the dB scale. This graph is obviously above the noise floor as most metropolitan homes measure more low frequency energy than 45dB even with the AC off. Does your measurment rig displayactual SPL dB?

I am just curious as to the test level.

Great system no doubt!

Barry.
    If we knew what the hell we were doing, we wouldn't call it research would we.

iTech vs DCi

Can someone please explain when comparing the High Pass DSP settings between the two, I found 500hz, 900hz, 1150hz, 1600hz, 2540hz, and 3250hz not on the DCi series. Did they find these settings in the DCi to be acceptable or is it something else?

Thanks,
    Scott

My DCi's are infinitely adjustable. I do not have to choose a specific number. I can't imagine that the iTech's are any different.

Name:  DCi XO.jpg
Views: 2242
Size:  141.8 KB
    Always fun learning more.......

Quote Originally Posted by dprice View Post
    Any progress on whipping up a passive XO design? My clones will be ready to assemble and test fire this week. I have the Omnimic system so I'd be happy to build/measure and contribute what I can. The design part is way over my head.

Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by 4313B View Post
    No

I am getting my 4338 clones set up at the moment as well as working on some 4345's. Sorry
    Just finished reading this massive thread...am very interested in building a LCR of M2's (right now the thought is to build as nearly as close to the original as possible). A passive XO may be interesting option. The ability to use existing amplifiers and not have to buy three miniDSP units or multiple DCi Crown amps is very alluring.

My timeline is not near-term, I have two years before retirement. Want to accumulate parts over this time period for the build.

Gain control settings

Out of curiosity where is everyone setting the amp gain controls after the DSP unit. I keep on messing with mine on the DCi 4300 and need a consensus to stop the madness.

Thanks,
    Scott

Mctwins
    Quote Originally Posted by srm51555 View Post
    Out of curiosity where is everyone setting the amp gain controls after the DSP unit. I keep on messing with mine on the DCi 4300 and need a consensus to stop the madness.

Thanks,
    Scott
    Hallo!

I am using 28dB gain on mine. I have enough voltage drive from my preamp. If I am using 34dB gain it will clip earlier on input.

Also, I have the output level at 0dB on DCi. I had it a couple of dB lower before.

I do belive that a proper Gain Structure is necessary. That the purpose of the Gain Mode in DCi.

Thanks,
    Scott
    28DB seems to be appropriate for most consumer installs. If you are asking where, as in where it's set. Go to Input, Input Configuration and set to 28db.

Mctwins
    Both my DCi and MA5000i clips at the same input level. On my preamp(80% on my volume control).

DCi= 28dB gain

MAi= 26dB gain

with pink noise.

Quote Originally Posted by adidino View Post
    28DB seems to be appropriate for most consumer installs. If you are asking where, as in where it's set. Go to Input, Input Configuration and set to 28db.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mctwins View Post
    Both my DCi and MA5000i clips at the same input level. On my preamp(80% on my volume control).

DCi= 28dB gain

MAi= 26dB gain

with pink noise.
    I was originally talking about the pots on the back of the unit, but the two above posts have got me thinking. Currently I'm using a EC-V for volume control with the CD player directly into the unit. BSS assured me that the DSP would be able to handle this but I think I'm going to experiment some with the input level. With all four of the controls on the back of the amp set the same level the waveguide seems a little hot for me and when I back it off for just the waveguide it starts getting a little hollow for my tastes. I tried it in another room and it got better but it was still there. any suggestions would be great

Thanks,
    Scott

Mctwins
    Thanks

I was originally talking about the pots on the back of the unit, but the two above posts have got me thinking. Currently I'm using a EC-V for volume control with the CD player directly into the unit. BSS assured me that the DSP would be able to handle this but I think I'm going to experiment some with the input level. With all four of the controls on the back of the amp set the same level the waveguide seems a little hot for me and when I back it off for just the waveguide it starts getting a little hollow for my tastes. I tried it in another room and it got better but it was still there. any suggestions would be great

Thanks,
    Scott
    Hallo!

It will actually affect the output those pots on the back. I have mine full.

As adidino said, "Go to Input, Input Configuration and set to 28db.".

On this screen, one can see the input bars and particular one bar can't be adjusted. This is coming directly from the source itself. You can adjust both input and output on the DCi. But not this input stage.

This input stage will clip if driving the source to hard or drive voltage from the source. Here is no clip protection.

Yes, I have fiddle with this. The best is to play a pink noise thru the system and see what is happening.

You may possible have to adjust the Bandpass gain for Woofer and Horn.

Don't you have the settings for the M2?

Welcome to Bi-amping world
    Last edited by Mctwins; 02-26-2016 at 10:15 AM. Reason: Adding text

Quote Originally Posted by Mctwins View Post
    Don't you have the settings for the M2?
    That's the file I have loaded and the gains on the back were set to full. As I listen I find myself backing them off and finding a nice balance. When I go and listen to them the next day I find the previous days setting to be too low for the waveguide and adjust again. This could possibly be all me and not the speakers. I need to have a buddy come over and see what another set of ears thinks. OTOH the bass response on the 2216nd is phenomenal and needs no fine tuning.

Thanks,
    Scott

now that speaker exchange are selling 2430k as replacements only, where would one get them?
    planning on a future build, as soon as i switch apartments and get rid of some other horn builds. 2x4HD looks up to the task, including as preamp and dac.

Quote Originally Posted by polars View Post
    now that speaker exchange are selling 2430k as replacements only, where would one get them?
    planning on a future build, as soon as i switch apartments and get rid of some other horn builds. 2x4HD looks up to the task, including as preamp and dac.
    well this puts a damper on things...

They still have the 2452s available. They fit if you countersink holes in the adapter plate. With the coated diaphragms swapped in they sound nice.

Just a note, the Speaker Excange is not the only place that can get this stuff. I didn't buy any of my M2 parts from them.

Any JBL Pro dealer/shop can, if it is available from JBL.

Barry.
    If we knew what the hell we were doing, we wouldn't call it research would we.

Thread Information