Page 9 of 113 FirstFirst ... 78910111959109 ... LastLast

Thread: JBL Master Reference Monitor

Quote Originally Posted by grumpy View Post
    Sarcasm?
    not really, I am quite excited to listen to the speakers, but it will be awhile before we get it over here, so a properly recorded YouTube video would be the next best thing. Those videos done by Kenji hosoi are quite cool.

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Mackenzie View Post
    As to why Be has not been used well Mark Gander makes reference to Be but explains the innovation behind the dual annulus principle (ring radiator approach) and use of a synethetic materials.
    Plus Be is so insanely expensive by comparison. An example would be the Be diaphragm in the 2435 at 3.98x the cost of the aluminum diaphragm in the 2431.

Without looking it up again, I recall the D2430K diaphragm being roughly the same price as the 2431 diaphragm. Somewhere in that range.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Mackenzie View Post
    Costmetically the M2 is not beautiful and is much of a black box fill of tricks. The TOL consumer products being more costly to manufacture.
    Yeah, it could use a blue baffle and some oiled black walnut. Obviously it really is targeted to engineers. My wife doesn't want it in the living room. She likes the Tannoys. Oh well, it was them or B&O's...

In any case, this is what Zilch always wanted, a compression driver bolted to a waveguide capable of flat response from 800 Hz to 20 kHz. He would have had a ball with this thing. And it is comparatively economical.

Quote Originally Posted by 4313B View Post

....In any case, this is what Zilch always wanted, a compression driver bolted to a waveguide capable of flat response from 800 Hz to 20 kHz. He would have had a ball with this thing. And it is comparatively economical.
    Hi 4313B,

The real problem seems to me would be horizontal dispersion for the frequencies over 10kH, even it seems to me that the used horn has some kind of 'teeth' "trying" to 'invoke' detraction for the HF. It seems that the same problem is present on the BMS4590/92 coaxial drivers too. So I can say that here "we have" wide bandwidth transducer, but there is more room for upgrade to the appropriated horn.

It would be interesting what kind of equalization has been applied to the D2430k+HORN combo.

Regards
    ivica

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by ivica View Post
    It would be interesting what kind of equalization has been applied to the D2430k+HORN combo.
    Yep, we really need that information.

Everybody here are so exciting on M2
    46 lover

I've always been a 2-way fan!

Quote Originally Posted by martin_wu99 View Post
    Everybody here are so exciting on M2
    Although I'm going to be doing a 2.5 way w2226J's and 2446/Be on Yuichi cloned A-290's real soon.

The concept of a decent pro LF driver w/good horn and driver and let the electronics smooth it out for every environment makes sense.

I'm an old stubborn coot who still prefers passive crossovers and low powered tube amps. DSP stuff is more than I want to play with.

I love this thread for the discussion and for the M2!

Regards, Ron
    JBL Pro for home use!

Quote Originally Posted by spkrman57 View Post
    Although I'm going to be doing a 2.5 way w2226J's and 2446/Be on Yuichi cloned A-290's real soon.

The concept of a decent pro LF driver w/good horn and driver and let the electronics smooth it out for every environment makes sense.

I'm an old stubborn coot who still prefers passive crossovers and low powered tube amps. DSP stuff is more than I want to play with.

I love this thread for the discussion and for the M2!

Regards, Ron
    So good to find that you are also a pro JBL for home use lover,me too
    I found that 4628B,4698B,4730 can be used in home,what else do you find?
    I think with CROWN ma-5000,M2 is a real monster,and will not be hi-end speaker no longer
    But i love M2 and this thread too.

Regards,Martin
    46 lover

Quote Originally Posted by richluvsound View Post
    Please leave the reference threads alone for the members with relevant insight !

There are plenty of threads here on the forum you can post your experience in .

thanks , Rich

What relevant insight? Everything written here so far has been pure speculation of a product nobody has heard, mostly (if not completely) by people who have no intention of using the product in it's intended setting. There are no forums here for professional loudspeaker discussions, the post is in general information. The forum is for enthusiasts.

Now you and I are both off-topic. Let's let those who want to dream and discuss the topic have their fun.

Yeah , your right . I have been here before . Thank you for putting me in my place !

Dreaming , pfsst

There's no time like tomorrow to make your dreams come true

Name:  M2 dimensions.JPG
Views: 2961
Size:  38.2 KB

Mctwins
    Quote Originally Posted by pathfindermwd View Post
    What relevant insight? Everything written here so far has been pure speculation of a product nobody has heard, mostly (if not completely) by people who have no intention of using the product in it's intended setting. There are no forums here for professional loudspeaker discussions, the post is in general information. The forum is for enthusiasts.

Now you and I are both off-topic. Let's let those who want to dream and discuss the topic have their fun.
    I didn't listening to my PRX600 series or my JBL 4319 or, even my brothers Cinema Screen Arrays, we just bought it.

So, where can one go and listen to these speakers. Ok, one can go and listen to cinema screen in a cinema. The only way to listen to these speakers is to buy it and then just enjoy it.

If all of my speakers sounds great, then, I have absolutely no doubt that these M2 will also sound great.

Personally, I have never been dissapointed with the sound of JBL and I certainly will not be dissapointed with how the M2 gonna sound.

Well, that me

Screw it , actually ,I'll stand by my statement . I was taught that if I have nothing to contribute that is nothing more than a narrow ill informed opinion then i should keep my mouth shut and maybe I might learn something .

The folks with insight are either the members with the experience or the finance to implement the M2 successfully into a home application . Members with the engineering experience and the understanding are best placed best to conjecture . This forum is the finest reference for JBL old and new on the web , I for one would like that to continue . Many of us have invested our resources to that purpose .

Before we know it , they'll be pictures of bloody cats all over the thread

End of rant ... This is not Face Book !

Rich

Interesting for Me

Originally Posted by Mr. WidgetIt seems that most here have missed the important fact that these speakers are professional monitors. They are not actually intended for home use. They are designed for professional studio use. The requirements for a studio monitor are not necessarily the same as a home playback system.
    I find that a true Pro Monitor system and a Hifi/Hiend speaker share de same sound quality objectives, thats the only way to get even close to what the art production/recording team intended. Studio requierments usaly difer in that the system will be played all day 6 day a week so all thermal variables should be very well thougt and allsow durability. But de sound quality objectives are the same

Harmans R&D team have concluded that a very wide and homogenios dispersion is critical(first refletion points) to complement the on axis reponse that has been put intoo pratice in all the hi end JBL / Revel sistems look at the Everest 2 and K2 horizontal coverage and Revel Ultima dipersion Plots

Name:  grafgem2.jpg
Views: 3125
Size:  60.7 KB

Name:  JBL%20M2%20vs%20S9800%20vs%20LSR6332.JPG
Views: 2811
Size:  77.0 KB

I see that this new Waveguiede/Horn dispersion resembles alot more the response of an excelent direct radiating cone dome system (the mayority of systems are of this type) with out compromising the dynamics of horn based sistems etc etc etc

sow we have a proven 15" driver in a litle biger box than the 4700 and a very nice and capable hi freq compresion driver in what seams to be and excelent waveguide/horn and you have a dsp for xo and end room fine tuneing

DSP can cause some problems Indeed but the room problems that it can help with by far outwait them. my 2 hz

Obsolete
    Note that the blip in the S9800 response is caused by the 435Be/045Be interaction. I just wanted that to be clear.

Also note that the cost of the D2430K is a bit less than the 435Be/045Be combination, roughly half if I remember correctly.

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by JuniorJBL View Post
    As 4313b said: unless the curve in the backend is total crap and the M2's just suck, then choose a processor you like and move on.
    Well, it would seem that is the key. The M2 loudspeaker is limited to how good the active filters and DSP processors are.

Some people might find the ultra-low distortion transducers a little too sterile.

G.T. has already visited this concept with his Everest II's by going active and applying DSP.

Thread Information