Page 69 of 113 FirstFirst ... 1959676869707179 ... LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,035 of 1683

Thread: JBL Master Reference Monitor

I tried and tried to resist. I kept thinking that if I could wait until they built the M2.5 with two 2216's per side I would be safe. I was searching parts and caved in. I will build my own.

You guys are a bad influence on me.

Barry.
    If we knew what the hell we were doing, we wouldn't call it research would we.

Quote Originally Posted by 1audiohack View Post
    I tried and tried to resist. I kept thinking that if I could wait until they built the M2.5 with two 2216's per side I would be safe. I was searching parts and caved in. I will build my own.

Barry.
    I must say the ability to get some of these new parts has given a new life to the DIY forum and it's great!! And to be honest it really picked up for me when Don McRitchie put his M2 review.

Quote Originally Posted by ivica View Post
    Hmmmm, I would not expect large benefit using here 1201, may be 1201 with 1801 would be much 'understand-able' configuration ??
    That is the configuration I had for a while, but I could not justify the space those 18" took...

Barry.
    welcome to the party

Quote Originally Posted by srm51555 View Post
    I must say the ability to get some of these new parts has given a new life to the DIY forum and it's great!! And to be honest it really picked up for me when Don McRitchie put his M2 review.
    Project May in reverse order

I must say Widgets proposal is really good looking.
    Whatever route the box building takes, I have two concerns:
    First the radius of the baffle. Is there a way to calculate or measure that?
    Secondly: how make a good looking transition from the top edge of the horn to the top of the box? It would be nice to have them both aligned but I would like to countersunk the top edge of the horn to avoid seeing the very thin about 5mm thick topedge.

B.R Jakob

To calculate the radius you will need the width of the arc ( the face of the waveguide ) and the difference of the heights of the curve at the edge and the middle.

Call the edge height 0 and find the value for the middle and enter the values into the formula :

http://www.handymath.com/cgi-bin/rad2.cgi?submit=Entry

Not that that helps you much as all you are trying to do is match the shape of the curve for woodworking purposes. If you have the W/G then you can copy the curve to make a template.

There is quite a simple jig that you can make to allow a router to machine a curved face to whatever curve you choose : Remember that the core of MDF is a lot coarser than the outer face so you will have a lot of finishing to do if you take this path.

http://www.tdpri.com/forum/tele-home...outer-jig.html

The baffle is a lot bigger of course , hence the jig would need to be about 700mm wide.

Since you are in Sweden , birch plywood is common. Look into pre bent panels. They do exist.. In this case you will need the radius as pre formed panels are specified this way.

To do the top of the W/G you need to create a lip that will cover the edge neatly.

We could probably use some all around pics of edge details to get a better idea of these aspects.

Barry.
    This will be fun to follow!
    So you leave me hanging here all alone in active 4365 land??

Quote Originally Posted by 4313B View Post
    I was thinking neon green to go with the color of my hair.
    I call this bluff. No audiophile has hair!

(damping so close to the ears is not good for the sound)

Quote Originally Posted by bubbleboy76 View Post
    I call this bluff. No audiophile has hair!

(damping so close to the ears is not good for the sound)
    Hi bubbleboy76,

yes, but what about the reflection from 'spherical object'

regrads
    ivica

Barry.
    Hi Barry,

two 2216,..., vertical or horizontal, working in-parallel or one been as 'helper bass'?

regards
    ivica

Quote Originally Posted by bubbleboy76 View Post
    This will be fun to follow!
    So you leave me hanging here all alone in active 4365 land??
    I use them with a pair of 1500Array subs. This combination didn't take long at all to get sounding phenominal to me. I am hesitant and actually downright unmotivated to mess with this system. This doesn't last forever with me though,,,.

Hi Ivica;

Horizontal in helper mode. I really like the look of the 2-15" monitors and love the bass presentation. This one is going to be easy. I just bought all the parts, gaskets, screws, logos, even the little horn protection networks so it is just a box with ports. The painful part is going to be the purchase of two more I-TECH 5000HD's.

Thanks Thomas, this is going to be fun!

All the best.,
    Barry

I use them with a pair of 1500Array subs. This combination didn't take long at all to get sounding phenominal to me. I am hesitant and actually downright unmotivated to mess with this system. This doesn't last forever with me though,,,.

Hi Ivica;

Horizontal in helper mode. I really like the look of the 2-15" monitors and love the bass presentation. This one is going to be easy. I just bought all the parts, gaskets, screws, logos, even the little horn protection networks so it is just a box with ports. The painful part is going to be the purchase of two more I-TECH 5000HD's.

Thanks Thomas, this is going to be fun!

All the best.,
    Barry
    Hi Barry,

Hmm, as I have remembered You have something like dual 150xAL in the box ( like 4355 or 4435), so I wonder what kind of 'improvement' (if ANY) can be expected with dual 2216Nd instead of dual 150x drivers, now with M2 (horn+driver) supported instead of 'old school driver horns combos'

It would be very, very interesting comparison between mentioned old and new speakers, but I would believe that either would be active-network driven.

regards
    ivica

Is this the end of the road for the H4338 then?

Quote Originally Posted by JeffW View Post
    Is this the end of the road for the H4338 then?
    Nope.

The urethane plant is supposed to spit out eight of them to go with the billet throats we have. He is as distracted as I am. Frustrating I know.

The Everest parts program is still creeping along as well. I finally have the parts digitized and am trying to figure out what to make them out of.

Barry.

Quote Originally Posted by ivica View Post
    Hi Barry,

Hmm, as I have remembered You have something like dual 150xAL in the box ( like 4355 or 4435), so I wonder what kind of 'improvement' (if ANY) can be expected with dual 2216Nd instead of dual 150x drivers, now with M2 (horn+driver) supported instead of 'old school driver horns combos'

It would be very, very interesting comparison between mentioned old and new speakers, but I would believe that either would be active-network driven.

regards
    ivica
    Hi ivica;

My 4350's have the 1501-1's in them. My 4435's are still passive and all original. It is these that I want to fashion the M2.5's after. I am in hopes that I can make them the same dimensions but the M2 horn is a full three inches taller than the 2344 horn used in the 4435. I think getting the 2216's as close as possible to the M2 horn and using a wire frame grill it might be possible.

As much as I like the 4435's, the full DSP version M2.5 should best the 4435 in every way by a wide margin.

By the way, does anyone know the volume of the M2 enclosure? I am sure it has been posted somewhere but I haven't run accross it recently enough to remember.

All the best,
    Barry.

Thread Information