Page 6 of 113 FirstFirst ... 456781656106 ... LastLast

Thread: JBL Master Reference Monitor

These are the speakers to own right now. They sound better than anything I've heard. Sean Olive
    i will take his word for it

i whant a pair

here is a video of namm 2013 M2 presentation

http://www.soundonsound.com/news?NewsID=15853

Obsolete
    I want a pair.
    I think we all do.

Thanks for the link! I don't think he said Mark's last name right but I could be wrong, laptop speakers.

Six grand each... I'm totally stunned. Retail on the dual ring radiator is two grand all by itself!

Eighteen grand for LCR.

I think it is interesting how they are carefully marketing them. No mention of using them in a HT.

6k/ea speaker box, plus dsp and amps (or combined in the Crown amp).
    Still, less than I'd have guessed for a system.

... & yes, I think the interviewer said Gardner vs. Gander (doh)... Mark was
    gentleman enough to ignore it.

Hmmm. Maybe I should have waited a month...

$6k? Who'd have thought it?
    Out.

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by macaroonie View Post
    Well spotted Grumpy. Here's an explosion of the D2 that will make more sense to the less than spatially aware.

Attachment 58090

Now you can see the phase plugs and ' guides ' more clearly. And the two diaphragms.
    I am very curious as to how they arrived at the pattern of the slots in the phase plugs. Not the most obvious or intuiative layout. Are they perhaps 3D printing these ?
    Keen to get an explanation if any JBL whiz's can get the skinny however sketchy from the elves.

M
    Quote Originally Posted by grumpy View Post
    They briefly touch on both of those questions (diagonal layout over compression area, and use of rapid prototyping)
    in materials for the M2 and the VTX-V25.
    Yes, on page ten of that PDF they show the machine in the lower right hand photo. It was building up an undisclosed part the last time I saw it in operation. I know parts for the 045 were created with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome View Post
    Hmmm. Maybe I should have waited a month...

$6k? Who'd have thought it?
    I'm flabbergasted. That's a whole lot of loudspeaker for $6K if you compare it to anything Consumer is offering. Consumer does have the furniture grade enclosures though.

But what I am specifically thinking of is that Tannoy DC10A. It isn't even a contest... a pair of M2's for twelve grand versus a pair of DC10A's for eighteen grand?

And I don't think you'd have any trouble at all recouping your recent expenditure.

Quote Originally Posted by 4313B View Post
    Yes, on page ten of that PDF they show the machine in the lower right hand photo. It was building up an undisclosed part the last time I saw it in operation. I know parts for the 045 were created with it.I'm flabbergasted. That's a whole lot of loudspeaker for $6K if you compare it to anything Consumer is offering. Consumer does have the furniture grade enclosures though.

But what I am specifically thinking of is that Tannoy DC10A. It isn't even a contest... a pair of M2's for twelve grand versus a pair of DC10A's for eighteen grand?
    Yes, that's a disruptor both in price and performance.

Quote Originally Posted by 4313B
    And I don't think you'd have any trouble at all recouping your recent expenditure.
    Yes, it's really no contest in the value department, plus it's one of a kind: really irreplaceable and so wonderful. Sometimes I'm too fickle and impatient. I've yet to realize the full potential of what I've got. I was just shocked into momentary aphasia when the words came out of Mark Gander's mouth.

Sooner or later there will be pair of M2s and Crowns out in the wild, and I'll patiently stalk them, and then...
    Out.

Quote Originally Posted by macaroonie View Post

I am very curious as to how they arrived at the pattern of the slots in the phase plugs. Not the most obvious or intuiative layout. Are they perhaps 3D printing these ?
    Keen to get an explanation if any JBL whiz's can get the skinny however sketchy from the elves.

M
    Hi macaroonie,

I think more about phase plug can be find in US-Patent US20110085692

http://www.google.com/patents/US20110085692

Regards
    ivica

Hi,
    Am I right , looking at the directivity of M2, that M2-horn allow about +/- 45 deg from 1kHz up to 8kHz,
    while on about 15kHz Vertical and Horizontal angle is about half of that ( +/- 23deg)

http://www.jblpro.com/products/recor.../M2/index.html

Regards
    ivica
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Patent app linky

Ivica thanks for the link. It poses more questions than it answers for example there are 16 pickup ducts on the forward dia end 32 on the back one. Curious as to why. Also there seem to be a few versions of the phase plug bullet and the ducting.
    Nonetheless very helpful in understanding the workings of this innovative driver.

Quote Originally Posted by JuniorJBL View Post
    Bet they sounded alot like your computer speakers!!
    46 lover

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome View Post
    Sooner or later there will be pair of M2s and Crowns out in the wild, and I'll patiently stalk them, and then...
    Yep.

Me still being enamored with the 4430 type design even after all these years I'll probably have to own a pair of these one day.

And this is so much more then merely a better 4430. Hopefully this will push great sounding DSP to the forefront where it belongs. It's too powerful to ignore.

I watched the NAMM vid and I still don't get the dual diaphragm thing. Can someone explain how that works? And seriously, nobody else sees the resemblance to the SVAs?

Quote Originally Posted by audiomagnate View Post
    I watched the NAMM vid and I still don't get the dual diaphragm thing. Can someone explain how that works? And seriously, nobody else sees the resemblance to the SVAs?
    RED
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Here's a cross section of a 2405 with its annular diaphragm. I have put in red lines to accentuate the similarity , the coil being the one that goes down in the gap.

Name:  2404%20research%20(5).jpg
Views: 3076
Size:  59.5 KB

Hope that helps.

Thanks! Now I get it. There are subwoofers that work like that.

Thread Information