Page 51 of 113 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361101 ... LastLast

Thread: JBL Master Reference Monitor

So you're into a pair of horns and adapters for $750. Then you need drivers, a cabinet and serious DSP to get these things going?

I'm enamoured by the M2 like others but it is effective because it is a system. An engineered system beyond my capabilities thus far.

I think I'll keep sifting classifieds for used Arrays or SAM1HFs for now but I'll follow with interest any threads where progress is made with this horn.

Cheers,

Warren

Since the D2430K uses a 3.25 bolt circle and 1/4 inch bolts, (See here) I don't see why the 2452s that are conveniently listed on that same web site wouldn't fit with the M2 horns, with the adapters. But I haven't even seen any of these parts in person yet, so I could be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by pos View Post
    According to Robert that one only fits the D2430K (and maybe 2435?) due to the bolts that fix the adapter to the horn.
    See this video at around 00:50 : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDTLZCNzhFQ

The problem is not the driver/adapter bolt pattern, but the adapter/horn one: the heads of these screws fall outside of the D2430K snout diameter, but that would not be the case with a 4" driver.

from the above video:
    Name:  M2 adapter.JPG
Views: 3127
Size:  17.1 KB

It might be necessary to countersink the screw holes from the adapter to the horn and assemble that part first with flat head screws, but it looks do-able.

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by Don C View Post
    It might be necessary to countersink the screw holes from the adapter to the horn and assemble that part first with flat head screws, but it looks do-able.
    These are 10-32 flat head bolts. A mild countersink would work great. The 10-32 bolt has barely enough grab in the plastic hole. JBL probably uses a coarse thread screw, the plastic holes in the waveguide are untapped. The c.d. stands off the mounting plate via the thickness of the foam gasket attached to the c.d.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

The right fastner is probably in here somewhere. If my horns ever show up, I'll try to find the best possible fit.

Edit, I don't have the right lengths , but Mcmaster 95893A368 would be a starting point.

Quote Originally Posted by 4313B View Post
    These are 10-32 flat head bolts. A mild countersink would work great. The 10-32 bolt has barely enough grab in the plastic hole. JBL probably uses a coarse thread screw, the plastic holes in the waveguide are untapped. The c.d. stands off the mounting plate via the thickness of the foam gasket attached to the c.d.

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by Don C View Post
    The right fastner is probably in here somewhere. If my horns ever show up, I'll try to find the best possible fit.
    The same screw is used to attach the waveguide to the baffle. 18 total per waveguide.

Some additional info to be found here;

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...l=1#post374486

Kind regards

//RoB
    The solution to the problem changes the problem.
    -And always remember that all of your equipment was made by the lowest bidder

Obsolete
    Perfect! Thanks!

It appears that M5-0.80 bolts fit fine.

Obsolete
    The M2 is now legendary:

"Just because you’re at home doesn’t mean you have to live quietly. With its hard-hitting 5.5” (140mm) polycellulose woofer and 1” (25mm) soft dome tweeter, the JBL Arena 120 bookshelf / surround loudspeaker is a wake-up call for anyone who knows quality sound when they hear it. Inspired by the legendary JBL M2 Master Reference Monitor, the Arena 120 can be wall-mounted to ensure you hear remarkable detail at any position in the room whether listening to music, TV shows, movies, or games."

Well if they're going to say 'inspired by the M2' they could have at least put a LSR305 waveguide on it.

That is what a flagship is made for: sell tons of smaller consumer speakers...

Obsolete
    That is what a flagship is made for: sell tons of smaller consumer speakers...
    Well there you go!

You have all the components now to build yourself a pair of M2 clones. I'm looking forward to what you come up with.

I am still undecided whether or not I want to clone the exact enclosures or go with something a bit more retro like a 43xx blue baffle style box. Not as tall, same width, more depth. I'm sure I will figure it out at some point.

Yep!

Are you going with a double 15" per side?
    Name:  JBL M2.5.jpg
Views: 6879
Size:  45.3 KB

Obsolete
    Yep!

Are you going with a double 15" per side?
    Name:  JBL M2.5.jpg
Views: 6879
Size:  45.3 KB
    It was very tempting, if only for the increased sensitivity, but I decided that I didn't want the increased footprint. I can definitely live with the single 2216Nd per side.

I am leaning towards the blue baffle retro look, including hiding the ports behind the blue cloth grille. Most likely the good old black walnut veneer as well.

Thread Information