Page 36 of 113 FirstFirst ... 2634353637384686 ... LastLast

Thread: JBL Master Reference Monitor

Quote Originally Posted by 4313B View Post
    The dbx is considered the better unit. Rumor has it they are working on a more robust unit with more PEQ points, auto EQ and integration with HATS, but the release date is currently unknown.

The SDEC wasn't used either, the dbx sounds better. The Crown HD Q's don't match any of them, BSS, dbx, or REW5.

In other words, YMMV depending on which DSP processor is used.
    Im very interested in using DSP with my S4700's, i have a driverack 260, and i can
    Borrow another amp, my question is do they bypass the internal crossover all togeather, or do they just
    Use the biwire and eq and divide from there? Also i would like a schematic of how its done, and the tunings
    They arrived at!

my question is do they bypass the internal crossover all togeather, or do they just
    Use the biwire and eq and divide from there?
    As I understand it the passive Xo wont be bypassed and used as it is. The only thing that the dbx is suppose to do is apply PEQ and delay to the signal going in to the passive xo. You are suppose to configure the dbx routing to four outgoing chanels. 2 chanels for LF and 2 for HF. On the LF and HF output you apply the PEQ provided in the link below without any xover. The signal goes in the amp and from there to speaker terminals which has the bi wire clamps unhooked ofcourse. Good luck

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...-DriveRack-260

/Mostly

Quote Originally Posted by ivica View Post
    If talking about the price, here on form well known, miniDSP (http://www.minidsp.com/) products can be get 'under' affordable price, especially if ONLY PEQ is of interest., but multichannel operation is supported too.
    The have used floating point Analog Devices-"Sharc ADSP21369"-DSP ( I think now Texas Instrument owned).

Our forum friend POS (http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...r.php?8209-pos) can say much, much more about, as he has applied the whole (free !!!) software
    (http://sourceforge.net/projects/rephase/?source=navbar) that can be applied....
    (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi...ring-tool.html)

POS has said:

"..rePhase let you generate finite impulse responses (FIR) specifically tailored to reverse the phase shifts introduced by the crossovers of your loudspeakers (passive or active), resulting in a linear-phase system.
    It can also generate linear-phase EQ and crossover filters of arbitrary slopes, including Linkwitz-Riley (albeit linear-phase) and Horbach-Keele shapes
    ...."
    "..Here is a little piece of software I have been working on for some months now.
    It is called rePhase, and is a tool for loudspeaker phase linearization, EQ and FIR filtering.
    It does so by producing correction impulse responses that you can then use in your favorite convolution engine.
    It is a free software, without restriction (but without warranty either).
    ..."

Regards
    Ivica
    Ive heard what POS software can do for my horn system and I have to say its night and day. I believe FIR filters is the way to go, at least for multiway horn systems. I currently have a minidsp 4x10 and I no longer want to use it since it doesnt have the ablility to use FIR filters. The phase is all over the place with the minidsp but with More10s filter its more or less flat and thats a mayor improvement, mostly in the bass region and the fact that interaction between the different horns are more or less seemless. Im very impressed by this filter that More10 has made.

/Mostly

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by Mostlydiy View Post
    Ive heard what POS software can do for my horn system and I have to say its night and day. I believe FIR filters is the way to go, at least for multiway horn systems. I currently have a minidsp 4x10 and I no longer want to use it since it doesnt have the ablility to use FIR filters. The phase is all over the place with the minidsp but with More10s filter its more or less flat and thats a mayor improvement, mostly in the bass region and the fact that interaction between the different horns are more or less seemless. Im very impressed by this filter that More10 has made.

/Mostly
    Is this the unit you are referring to?

https://www.minidsp.com/products/min...inidsp-4x10-hd

I think that might be the unit a couple other forum members have disliked. I have to ask though, isn't it a bit too low rent for your system, based on your avatar?

Have you given any thought to this http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...l=1#post354919 or http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...l=1#post354923 ?

Where is the information on the More10 solution?

Is this the unit you are referring to?

https://www.minidsp.com/products/min...inidsp-4x10-hd

I think that might be the unit a couple other forum members have disliked. I have to ask though, isn't it a bit too low rent for your system, based on your avatar?

Have you given any thought to this http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...l=1#post354919 or http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...l=1#post354923 ?

Where is the information on the More10 solution?
    Yes, I currently use that minidsp product. My system was finished about 1,5 years ago and Im still working out how to make it sound the way I want to, the minidsp being a part of this process. More10s filter has made a good leap forward towards satisfying my expectations when I made my way into multiway horn systems.

More10 has made a filter from scratch with a powerful DSP engine using POS software to work out phase issues. Im sorry but I cant give you much of the specifics because I dont really know much about it. All I know is that its working, to a very good degree at that. Maybe More10 will fill you in on the details.

Since More10 is moving out of town and taking his filter with him I have considered the possiblity to try out the system that fpistas suggested in the thread you posted above. Its a very interesting solution to implement FIR filters using more or less a standard workstation. Im going to have to get myself some kind of audio interface with 8 analog outputs though before I can try it out.

/Mostly

I have not published anything about my filter since it isn't finished yet. I have spent quite a lot of time programming a SHARC development board to be used as a 4 way stereo filter using pos rePhase to configure it.

Input is analog 192 kHz or SPDIF resampled to 192 kHz.

The input is fed through a 2048 tap long FIR stage and then to a delay before beeing sent to the DAC and the tweeter output.

The input signal is also decimated 4 times to 48 kHz. The 48 kHz signal is fed through a 2048 tap FIR stage, then stored in a delay line. Before sending to the DAC the signal is interpolated to 192 kHz. This is the midrange output.

The 48 kHz signal is decimated 4 times to 12 kHz. Then a 2048 taps... This is the midbass filter.

The bass filter is the 12 kHz signal decimated 4 times to 3 kHz and the tap length is 2048. This is equal to a 131072 taps long filter working at 192 kHz. I am able to do hard phase corrections at 20 Hz.

I do all the filtering in time domain.

Setting it all up, I measure each speaker with the microphone very close in order to create the phase and level correction. The measurement is done with the filter until I am pleased with the result. This is done for each channel.

Integration is done at listening point. Each channel is measured separately in order to adjust delay so that all impulses arrive at the same time. In order to adjust level I measure all the channels together.

I have tested the filter with my own system and with Mostlydiys system. The result is very encouraging. I have decided to finish this project. There is some coding still to be done. My own front loaded bass is scary hard, I have not heard anything like it. Mostlydiys back loaded bass is definately much better. Midrange is unveiled.

The DAC I use is only 24 bit and using digital volume. Thanks sebackman for pointing this out to me. I will try to integrate an ESS Sabre with a 32 bit DAC.

Since Analog Devices only have code protection on paper I will not try to make a mass market product from this. Maybe I will try to make a few boards and sell them to people I know.

Mårten

Has anyone heard the M2's as LCR in a movie setup yet?

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonas_h View Post
    Has anyone heard the M2's as LCR in a movie setup yet?
    Only in their demo rooms, which are perfect examples of how not to set up a "home theater". I've come to the conclusion that they are into the whole visceral experience thing wherein at the end of the demo you're glad it's all over and you can leave.

Only in their demo rooms, which are perfect examples of how not to set up a "home theater". I've come to the conclusion that they are into the whole visceral experience thing wherein at the end of the demo you're glad it's all over and you can leave.
    Of all people I thought that they knew how to setup a home theater. Bummer. I am really considering if it is worth upgrading my ScreenArray to the M2's.

4313B: You mentioned that you had never been a fan of the K2 S9900- if its not too much off topic, can you elaborate? What do you think they can do better?

Obsolete
    Of all people I thought that they knew how to setup a home theater. Bummer.
    I don't know. Someone must like their demo setups.
    I am really considering if it is worth upgrading my ScreenArray to the M2's.
    Hear them first and see if they do it for you. I personally think they'd make an outstanding LCR solution.
    4313B: You mentioned that you had never been a fan of the K2 S9900- if its not too much off topic, can you elaborate? What do you think they can do better?
    I don't care for the looks or the small low frequency transducer volume. I prefer the "boxier" look (and larger volume for a fifteen-inch low frequency transducer) of the S4700 or 4338/4365 or M2. Boring eh? I really like my fifteens to go as low as practical. A fifteen-inch version of the LE14 if you will.

I don't care for the looks
    Thats actually what I like about them. It actually looks lika a home speaker instead of a speaker looking to belong in a studio. Which by the way probably was part of the design goals. Never heard them but I will do shortly. I have high expections to say the least.

/Mostly

Ferrari ,, JBL,,,M2's ...oh my

Liverpool, London and Hamburg. Watch all of the best moments from JBL and Ferrari's Journey of Sound

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ZseY...ature=youtu.be
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Beans marketing

D2 (d2430k)

Name:  JBL-D2430K i deler.jpg
Views: 5696
Size:  101.6 KB

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post

Liverpool, London and Hamburg. Watch all of the best moments from JBL and Ferrari's Journey of Sound

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ZseY...ature=youtu.be

Liverpool is my home and that isn't the original Cavern...

Thread Information