Page 12 of 113 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262112 ... LastLast

Thread: JBL Master Reference Monitor

Quote Originally Posted by Valentin View Post
    by the way The BSS units are extremly noisy with the fan always on

man i will have to make a special box to house it.

if the studio does not hava a noise rack room it is going to bother some.

I just received my minidsp 10X10 and thinking it could be a pretty good solution/substitute to the BSS unit.
    Always fun learning more.......

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by JuniorJBL View Post
    I just received my minidsp 10X10 and thinking it could be a pretty good solution/substitute to the BSS unit.
    Hopefully it isn't merely MP3 quality.

Quote Originally Posted by 4313B View Post
    Hopefully, their claims of good DAC's/software will stand true. 128k would sure suck!

Any thoughts as to the sound of yours? Mine is still in the box!!

Obsolete
    Oh wait... that Crown backend is only MP3 quality so you shouldn't really hear a difference using the hundred dollar miniDSP versus the twelve thousand dollar Crowns. Unless, of course, the miniDSP is actually better than MP3 quality.

Doh!

Hopefully, their claims of good DAC's/software will stand true. 128k would sure suck!

Any thoughts as to the sound of yours? Mine is still in the box!!
    Mine did make it out of the box. I did get an external power supply hooked up. I did hook up some Tannoys and that little mini Emotiva amp to my laptop and it works. MP3 source media only so far though so nothing of real value to report.

I view it primarily as a rapid prototyping tool, like SoundEASY without the learning curve and hardware requirements.

Let me re-word my comment, Do you really need 1250 watts for a compression driver?My point being, that is overkill!! Not sure how much overkill I want to do with a class D amp.

These are of course my opinions.
    Granted
    But it is what it is: a package that is not that expensive (probably less expensive than the equivalent with MC amps, and *at least* less cumbersome to operate) and probably sounds mighty good (neutral).

The minidsp 10x10 is an IIR crossover, whereas the Crown is a FIR crossover (also able to do IIR filters of course, but looking at the published curves I bet FIR filters and probably inverse convolutions are in use for the M2 preset). You will need a miniSHARC (or one openDRC per side if you are not into DIY) to replicate the EQ preset in use in the Ithech.
    That is, if they publish anything more than just preset files for their proprietary Crown/BSS products...
    At the very least we should be able to record an impulse of the correction in the BSS crossover (if someone has one), and use that (after some cleaning) to operate the convolution with the miniSHARC or openDRC.

Oh wait... that Crown backend is only MP3 quality so you shouldn't really hear a difference using the hundred dollar miniDSP versus the twelve thousand dollar Crowns. Unless, of course, the miniDSP is actually better than MP3 quality.

Doh!

Mine did make it out of the box. I did get an external power supply hooked up. I did hook up some Tannoys and that little mini Emotiva amp to my laptop and it works. MP3 source media only so far though so nothing of real value to report.

I view it primarily as a rapid prototyping tool, like SoundEASY without the learning curve and hardware requirements.
    I may get home early and put mine in the theater this afternoon and get a glimpse of what it will sound like.
    Or maybe I should put an HPA2 on top of the MAC and try it with the arrays? Hmmmmm.

Quote Originally Posted by pos View Post
    Granted But it is what it is: a package that is not that expensive (probably less expensive than the equivalent with MC amps, and *at least* less cumbersome to operate) and probably sounds mighty good (neutral).The minidsp 10x10 is an IIR crossover, whereas the Crown is a FIR crossover (also able to do IIR filters of course, but looking at the published curves I bet FIR filters and probably inverse convolutions are in use for the M2 preset). You will need a miniSHARC (or one openDRC per side if you are not into DIY) to replicate the EQ preset in use in the Ithech.That is, if they publish anything more than just preset files for their proprietary Crown/BSS products...At the very least we should be able to record an impulse of the correction in the BSS crossover (if someone has one), and use that (after some cleaning) to operate the convolution with the miniSHARC or openDRC.
    Almost certinly cheeper than the Mac's! I absolutely agree though!!

But as a starting point the minidsp should get you a baseline to start with. At this point we are really on the begining edge of quality DSP functions and I think it will get better soon. (I hope!)

I should also add that I have been using Jriver media center and they have some pretty good (cool) DSP functions that you can customize to a decent degree with the PC before it even gets to your audio interface. It is fun to play with for sure!

I should also add that I have been using Jriver media center and they have some pretty good (cool) DSP functions that you can customize to a decent degree with the PC before it even gets to your audio interface. It is fun to play with for sure!
    You can even use Jriver's own multichannel convolution engine to do the whole crossover (with a multichannel soundcard).

Here is a tutorial (in French, sorry) written by JIM on how to operate this:
    http://jimmy.thomas.free.fr/Jriver/T...olmImpulse.pdf
    It is using rePhase (a small free software I am developing) to build the actual FIR filters and EQs, as well as phase linearization.
    Of course it can also be used with an openDRC or a miniSHARC.

Quote Originally Posted by pos View Post
    You can even use Jriver's own multichannel convolution engine to do the whole crossover (with a multichannel soundcard).

Here is a tutorial (in French, sorry) written by JIM on how to operate this:
    http://jimmy.thomas.free.fr/Jriver/T...olmImpulse.pdf
    It is using rePhase (a small free software I am developing) to build the actual FIR filters and EQs, as well as phase linearization.
    Of course it can also be used with an openDRC or a miniSHARC.
    That's awesome! I am currently using a saffire pro 40 10 ch unit in my theater with the convolution engine. It's pretty cool!!

They just went with an off the shelf solution they had in inventory. It's left to us to do whatever we deem necessary.

Have you guys been keeping track of the people showing up to give these things a listen in the studios?
    top of the crop

Shipping in March. I have a pretty good connection at a pro dealer that is one of the dealers for the M2.
    So, are you getting them?
    S4700 owner.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave_72 View Post
    So, are you getting them?
    I will probably end up with a pair after the summer. We normally camp 3-4 times a month during the summer so audio gets put on hold during that time.

I am however currently working on getting an MC-402 to pair with the MC-602. I think if this happens I will be set amp wise.

I will probably end up with a pair after the summer. We normally camp 3-4 times a month during the summer so audio gets put on hold during that time.

I am however currently working on getting an MC-402 to pair with the MC-602. I think if this happens I will be set amp wise.
    Try the 402 first before you buy, I had the 402 and 500 and noticed the 402 has a very laid back sound and the bass lacks slam compared with the MC500. Sold the 402 and still looking for a second 500.

Cool

Cool, sounds good. Nice amps. Prepare to be blown away.
    S4700 owner.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by ngccglp View Post
    Try the 402 first before you buy, I had the 402 and 500 and noticed the 402 has a very laid back sound and the bass lacks slam compared with the MC500. Sold the 402 and still looking for a second 500.
    I take it the MC500's an older amp...

What about this bad boy?

http://www.mcintoshlabs.com/us/Produ...roductId=MC452
    S4700 owner.

Thread Information