Page 11 of 110 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161 ... LastLast
Results 151 to 165 of 1641

Thread: JBL Master Reference Monitor

  1. #151
    Obsolete
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    NLA
    Posts
    14,548
    Yeah, I saw that the other day. Figured everyone else who cared had already Googled it.

    across a very wide-ranging listening position
    It might be prudent to have a third one for center channel anyway, although I didn't really need one with the 4430's.

    That solid wall of sound from a top notch LCR is pretty damn killer.

    March is so far away.

  2. #152
    Senior Member grumpy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    5,338
    Yes, but it will be a "game-changer"

  3. #153
    Senior Member audiomagnate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Colorado and Georgia
    Posts
    1,014
    Quote Originally Posted by grumpy View Post
    Yes, but it will be a "game-changer"
    I hate that term almost as much as..."at the end of the day."

  4. #154
    Senior Member gferrell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Styx , NC
    Posts
    460
    Who among our friends on this site will be the first to pull the trigger on a pair?
    XPL 200's, XPL 160's, XPL 140's, L7's, L5's, L3's, L1's Homemade L Center, 4412's, 4406, L60T's, L20T's

  5. #155
    Obsolete
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    NLA
    Posts
    14,548
    I know two members who have been talking to Pro Dealers and one who has been talking to a Rep. We'll see who gets the first pair home.

    My personal problem is with the top amp on the D2. That's a whole lot of amp for such a task.

  6. #156
    Senior Member ivica's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    serbia
    Posts
    1,633
    Quote Originally Posted by gferrell View Post
    Who among our friends on this site will be the first to pull the trigger on a pair?
    I believe that "the owner of the GOLD-MINE" would be among the first.
    Name:  -RBI-GOLD-DEPOSIT.JPG
Views: 1288
Size:  37.3 KB

    Regards
    Ivica

  7. #157
    Senior Member Valentin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Mexico
    Posts
    730
    Quote Originally Posted by 4313B View Post
    I know two members who have been talking to Pro Dealers and one who has been talking to a Rep. We'll see who gets the first pair home.

    My personal problem is with the top amp on the D2. That's a whole lot of amp for such a task.
    well well

    just use a bss unit and the amps of your choice

    may be a bryston 4b for the woofer and a 2.5b for the horn that should cover a home listenig expirence

    lets see what config doese de first forum member implements . many choices

  8. #158
    Obsolete
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    NLA
    Posts
    14,548
    Quote Originally Posted by Valentin View Post
    well well

    just use a bss unit and the amps of your choice

    may be a bryston 4b for the woofer and a 2.5b for the horn that should cover a home listenig expirence

    lets see what config doese de first forum member implements . many choices
    Agreed.

    I actually find myself interested in how all this turns out!

  9. #159
    Senior Member JuniorJBL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Denver
    Posts
    1,702
    I think I would look for a MC252 to go with my MC602. But then again I like my mac's.

    But your right, an Itech 5000 for a pair of compression drivers?
    Always fun learning more.......

  10. #160
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    97
    I would like to see the settings in the I-techs. I know that in my Crown MAi 5000 I can set the appropriate RMS limiter for a specific transducer. I dont think it is 1250 Watts in 8 ohms for the horns.
    For the bass, yes!

  11. #161
    Senior Member pos's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Paris, France
    Posts
    2,546
    Quote Originally Posted by JuniorJBL View Post
    But your right, an Itech 5000 for a pair of compression drivers?
    That is not an Ithech for the pair of compression driver, it is one channel of Ithech for one compression driver and the other one for the woofer, per side. So the power supply is shared between the woofer and the compression driver. That means that the woofer will be able to use a bit more of the power supply...
    Class D power is cheap, why bother?
    On those amps you can also lower the gain down to +22dB (8V sensitivity), which is lower than almost any standard consumer amp on the market (I am not talking about the input attenuator, but the actual gain of the amplifier), and even pro amps (most of them are set to +26dB or +32dB). So the output signal will be lower for a given input signal, and this will also reduce the hiss the amp will produce on the compression driver (not even talking about the noise coming from source gears).
    Finally, the DC offset (+/-3mV) is also likely to be far smaller than any traditional A/B amp, which is a good thing if you intend to plug a compression driver without any passive component...

  12. #162
    Obsolete
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    NLA
    Posts
    14,548
    Well, however you slice it, at the end of the day, this is going to be a real game changer.

  13. #163
    Senior Member JuniorJBL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Denver
    Posts
    1,702
    Quote Originally Posted by pos View Post
    That is not an Ithech for the pair of compression driver, it is one channel of Ithech for one compression driver and the other one for the woofer, per side. So the power supply is shared between the woofer and the compression driver. That means that the woofer will be able to use a bit more of the power supply...Class D power is cheap, why bother?On those amps you can also lower the gain down to +22dB (8V sensitivity), which is lower than almost any standard consumer amp on the market (I am not talking about the input attenuator, but the actual gain of the amplifier), and even pro amps (most of them are set to +26dB or +32dB). So the output signal will be lower for a given input signal, and this will also reduce the hiss the amp will produce on the compression driver (not even talking about the noise coming from source gears).Finally, the DC offset (+/-3mV) is also likely to be far smaller than any traditional A/B amp, which is a good thing if you intend to plug a compression driver without any passive component...
    Let me re-word my comment, Do you really need 1250 watts for a compression driver?My point being, that is overkill!! Not sure how much overkill I want to do with a class D amp.

    These are of course my opinions.
    Always fun learning more.......

  14. #164
    Senior Member Valentin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Mexico
    Posts
    730
    by the way The BSS units are extremly noisy with the fan always on

    man i will have to make a special box to house it.

    if the studio does not hava a noise rack room it is going to bother some.

  15. #165
    Obsolete
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    NLA
    Posts
    14,548
    They just went with an off the shelf solution they had in inventory. It's left to us to do whatever we deem necessary.


    Have you guys been keeping track of the people showing up to give these things a listen in the studios?

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. TAD MODEL-1 REFERENCE MONITOR
    By gerard in forum General Audio Discussion
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 11-14-2014, 01:52 PM
  2. NAD Master Series
    By Domino in forum General Audio Discussion
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-05-2008, 09:34 PM
  3. L100T/L100S as a reference/studio monitor
    By ldizac in forum Lansing Product General Information
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 07-16-2006, 10:28 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •