Page 78 of 113 FirstFirst ... 2868767778798088 ... LastLast
Results 1,156 to 1,170 of 1683

Thread: JBL Master Reference Monitor

It is sure odd, it seems people really want this to be the case.

I have several BMS coaxial drivers and I sure don't see a lot of similarities.

Barry.
    If we knew what the hell we were doing, we wouldn't call it research would we.

I have this information from the owner of a leading class D amplifier brand, who has very close contacts with the owner of BMS and did a factory visit in Sofia recently.

Horn Mounting Holes

Has anyone measured the mounting holes for the horn? When I inserted a drill bit in the holes I got numerous values:

Red Circle = looks to be a 3/16" hole

Yellow = A 3/16" drill bit will fit but it's a little tight

Blue = Not a 3/16" hole and not a 11/64" hole

Hole depths also vary. The shallowest was 1.25"(31.75mm), so going down less than 1"(25.4mm) should be fine when using a bottoming tap. I can't imagine JBL predrilling these holes and adding a 1/4" 20 thread to them (for production costs), but it looks like that is the route I will go, unless someone else has a better idea. Also holes on both horns measure the same. Any thoughts?

Name:  horn.jpg
Views: 1629
Size:  158.4 KB

Quote Originally Posted by ds23man View Post
    .., who has very close contacts with the owner of BMS and did a factory visit in Sofia recently.
    BMS factory is in Sofia?..
    el goregrind es cultura

Quote Originally Posted by Flaesh View Post
    BMS factory is in Sofia?..
    According to a patent filling they do have ties to Sofia, Bulgaria...

http://www.uspto.gov/web/patents/pat...al/CTRY_BG.htm

BMS factory is in Sofia, warehousing in Hannover.

Quote Originally Posted by srm51555 View Post
    Has anyone measured the mounting holes for the horn? When I inserted a drill bit in the holes I got numerous values:

Red Circle = looks to be a 3/16" hole

Yellow = A 3/16" drill bit will fit but it's a little tight

Blue = Not a 3/16" hole and not a 11/64" hole

Hole depths also vary. The shallowest was 1.25"(31.75mm), so going down less than 1"(25.4mm) should be fine when using a bottoming tap. I can't imagine JBL predrilling these holes and adding a 1/4" 20 thread to them (for production costs), but it looks like that is the route I will go, unless someone else has a better idea. Also holes on both horns measure the same. Any thoughts?

Name:  horn.jpg
Views: 1629
Size:  158.4 KB
    A few pages back, these were spec'd out as possible mounting screws, self tapping for plastic:

NOTE: Different part number from any previous posts that might have been quoted

http://www.mcmaster.com/#99512a465/=zkeqew

Don't know about Sofia but you can judge for yourself re the drivers. BMS are hooked up with Coda Loudspeakers Maybe a plant in Sofia for the metal bashing and cabinet making.

BMS on the left , single annular ring driver , D2 on the right

Name:  D2 bms.jpg
Views: 1690
Size:  66.8 KB

Quote Originally Posted by JeffW View Post
    A few pages back, these were spec'd out as possible mounting screws, self tapping for plastic:

http://www.mcmaster.com/#95893a368/=zke9vb
    I knew there was something, Thanks

We know from reading the tech sheet that the factory is using the same screws to fasten the driver to adapter plate as they use to fasten the horn to the cabinet.
    As posted earlier, I believe that they are similar to these screws.
    http://www.mcmaster.com/#99512A465

The excess length would be accounted for by the thickness of the baffle. You will want the holes in the baffle to be large enough to accept the protrusion of the screw boss from the back of the horn. You will need washers.

Edit: I meant to say that the factory used the same screws to fasten the adapter plate to the horn as they used to fasten the horn to the cabinet. Not the driver. Sorry for the mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by macaroonie View Post
    Don't know about Sofia but you can judge for yourself re the drivers. BMS are hooked up with Coda Loudspeakers Maybe a plant in Sofia for the metal bashing and cabinet making.

BMS on the left , single annular ring driver , D2 on the right

Name:  D2 bms.jpg
Views: 1690
Size:  66.8 KB
    Coda=BMS

Patent:

US 9,008,343 B2
    Annular diaphragm compression driver
    Dimitar Kirilov Dimitrov, Sofia (BG)
    Assigned to BMS Speakers GmbH, Hannover (DE)
    Filed by Dimitar Kirilov Dimitrov, Sofia (BG)
    Filed on Mar. 13, 2013, as Appl. No. 13/799,453.

All the patents from BMS and JBL are quoting each other!

And the 2407 is made by BMS

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...-1-differences

Face it, JBL is outsourcing more and more.

Quote Originally Posted by Don C View Post
    We know from reading the tech sheet that the factory is using the same screws to fasten the driver to adapter plate as they use to fasten the horn to the cabinet.

The excess length would be accounted for by the thickness of the baffle. You will want the holes in the baffle to be large enough to accept the protrusion of the screw boss from the back of the horn. You will need washers.
    Yes, it was your post that I got the other part number from. Looks like a different head than the latest selection, I'll edit the other post so folks don't get the flat head vs pan head.

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by ds23man View Post
    Face it, JBL is outsourcing more and more.
    I remember a conversation with one of the guys and he said he had just left a meeting with some vendors and during the whole meeting he was getting more and more upset over the fact that JBL was no longer the turn key solution, that they were having to sit in meetings and listen to vendors offer them turn key solutions...

Quote Originally Posted by Don C View Post

Thanks again guys, I'm getting closer to building and can't wait to finally hear these.

Quote Originally Posted by 4313B View Post
    I remember a conversation with one of the guys and he said he had just left a meeting with some vendors and during the whole meeting he was getting more and more upset over the fact that JBL was no longer the turn key solution, that they were having to sit in meetings and listen to vendors offer them turn key solutions...
    In one way or another they have been doing this for donkeys ages , cones for example. Jamo in Denmark for lower consumer models etc.
    I suppose if you can buy excellence why would it matter , the question in my mind is who sets what bar and what parameters for performance levels. If in house design has goals that can be met by suppliers in Greenland then is there really anything wrong with that ?
    On the other hand if you only take what is on offer then compromises may well be made. Very easy in this situation to loose sight of you philosophical goals.
    In practice I see a lot of cutting edge stuff coming from Pro , and immediate trickle down ( 305 ) to speakers barely above the cost of Control 1's. What's not to love?
    JBL still seem to have an ethic in Pro , not so sure about consumer although that may change , I see fully DSP'd powered variants of the normal sized consumer gear at China prices. ( Just like all the PA boxes )

As for Harman as an entity , meh.

Thread Information