Page 1 of 113 1231151101 ... LastLast

Thread: JBL Master Reference Monitor

JBL Master Reference Monitor

May we talk about it now?

http://harmanprogroup.blogspot.com/2...oduces-m2.html

http://www.jblpro.com/products/recor...h.html#Spatial

It's been introduced officially at NAMM 2013 in Anaheim.
    Out.

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome View Post

It's been introduced officially at NAMM 2013 in Anaheim.
    Thats what they were waiting for.
    If we knew what the hell we were doing, we wouldn't call it research would we.

That D2 isn't a compression driver, its a freakin Piston!

Name:  TechDiv_R1C1.jpg
Views: 19712
Size:  29.2 KB
    When faced with another JBL find, Good mech986 says , JBL Fan mech986 says

Obsolete

Thirty-two years to replace the 4430

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome View Post
    They're expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by mech986 View Post
    A dual ring radiator.

I am kind of surprised more people didn't jump on the offer to get a pair of the D2's. I guess they are waiting for the factory seconds to start showing up on eBay.

Faston connectors... definitely something I don't associate with a two thousand dollar transducer.

Image Control Waveguide
    I'd like to bolt a 476Mg or 476Be to this and see how good it would sound, but I guess I wouldn't be surprised if this thing ended up being just as unobtainable as the compression drivers.

2216Nd Differential DriveŽ Woofer
    It could be interesting to see how this driver sounds in the M2 with the Crown DSP versus the S4700.

The only technical measurement we have for now are the multi-axis/power curves (Toole style Name:  psy___gangnam_style_dance_by_kafa81-d5oib4o.gif
Views: 17608
Size:  10.3 KB).
    This this interesting already: the directivity behavior is similar to a S9800, with a large directivity for the compression (the H9800 has a much wider dispersion than its nominal 90°x60° on most of its band), and a rapid gain in directivity at the crossover point (much more pronounced than the 4338 or S9900 for example).
    The directivity collapses a bit in the UHF compared to the tweeter-assisted S9800, but the curves are smoother there of course, with no phase issue. All in all the directivity is kept wide higher than the LSR6332.

Too bad the 30°/15° listening window averaged curve is missing for the M2, as I feel it shows some of the directivity issues of the H9800 (*very* wide horizontal directivity in the 3khz-8khz range), and that would have been interesting to see how the M2 waveguide behaves in this regard...

Of course the response is smoother than the S9800 and LSR6332 because it is actively driven by a FIR crossover, so we can imagine the EQ was very precisely done with inverse corrections. But even with a perfectly EQed on-axis response the S9800 would probably not give off-axis/power curves that smooth: the M2 waveguide definitely has something to it in this regard (as do PT waveguides I think).
    The M2 extends also lower in frequency than the S9800 (flat down to 40Hz and only -3dB at 30Hz in anechoic conditions?!), also probably thanks to some EQ (mandatory to adapt the loudspeaker to the position and room anyway...)

Waiting for the EDS now
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Obsolete
    It could be interesting to see the default DSP curve.

Quote Originally Posted by 4313B View Post
    It could be interesting to see the default DSP curve.
    One could also say that it would be interesting to see S9800 without the passive x-overs(default).
    X-overs is needed for fullrange speakers, passive or active.

BTW, a very good looking monitors and probably nice sounding as well. I want a pair of this

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobecca View Post
    One could also say that it would be interesting to see S9800 without the passive x-overs(default).
    I thought I had posted that already. I'm sure I did because we went over it in depth for Project May.

It could also be interesting to see what G.T. might do with the S9800 system now that he uses LEAP. The components are, of course, quite good.

Quote Originally Posted by mech986 View Post

Name:  TechDiv_R1C1.jpg
Views: 19712
Size:  29.2 KB
    Once again for those interested here is the cross section

Name:  PSWJBLVTXFigure2.jpg
Views: 27758
Size:  186.5 KB

Quote Originally Posted by 4313B View Post
    I thought I had posted that already. I'm sure I did because we went over it in depth for Project May.

It could also be interesting to see what G.T. might do with the S9800 system now that he uses LEAP. The components are, of course, quite good.
    I thought you meant with no setting at all in DSP.

To see the settings of DSP would be nice. I hope they will have one setting for dbx260. All that
    is needed is to have a pair of the M2. I allready have the Crowns MAi

Does anyone know where the retail price gonna be??

I think FIR filtering and EQ is key in this design, so even if a dbx260 preset is published it will probably not give the same result.

The Green Curve is the Listening Window according to the graph legend on the bottom. Would be nice to try out one of the waveguides.

Rob
    "I could be arguing in my spare time"

Quote Originally Posted by pos View Post
    The only technical measurement we have for now are the multi-axis/power curves (Toole style Name:  psy___gangnam_style_dance_by_kafa81-d5oib4o.gif
Views: 17608
Size:  10.3 KB).
    This this interesting already: the directivity behavior is similar to a S9800, with a large directivity for the compression (the H9800 has a much wider dispersion than its nominal 90°x60° on most of its band), and a rapid gain in directivity at the crossover point (much more pronounced than the 4338 or S9900 for example).
    The directivity collapses a bit in the UHF compared to the tweeter-assisted S9800, but the curves are smoother there of course, with no phase issue. All in all the directivity is kept wide higher than the LSR6332.

Too bad the 30°/15° listening window averaged curve is missing for the M2, as I feel it shows some of the directivity issues of the H9800 (*very* wide horizontal directivity in the 3khz-8khz range), and that would have been interesting to see how the M2 waveguide behaves in this regard...

Of course the response is smoother than the S9800 and LSR6332 because it is actively driven by a FIR crossover, so we can imagine the EQ was very precisely done with inverse corrections. But even with a perfectly EQed on-axis response the S9800 would probably not give off-axis/power curves that smooth: the M2 waveguide definitely has something to it in this regard (as do PT waveguides I think).
    The M2 extends also lower in frequency than the S9800 (flat down to 40Hz and only -3dB at 30Hz in anechoic conditions?!), also probably thanks to some EQ (mandatory to adapt the loudspeaker to the position and room anyway...)

Waiting for the EDS now
    It would be interesting if any have the same info about "old" M9500, just as a comparison in the horizontal dispersion.
    For M2 it see,s to me that in its horn a kind of 'detraction teeth" are implemented in order to widen horizontal dispersion, over 12kHz +/- 15 deg can be expected (-6dB), almost the same 'problems' as BMS4590/92P in UHF region.

Seems to me that the driver itself is more 'potent' then today horns applied.
    Regards
    Ivica

Quote Originally Posted by Robh3606 View Post
    The Green Curve is the Listening Window according to the graph legend on the bottom. Would be nice to try out one of the waveguides.
    You are absolutely right.
    I would love to see the on axis curve then

Quote Originally Posted by pos View Post
    You are absolutely right.
    I would love to see the on axis curve then

with some es mentioned horn
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thread Information