Page 25 of 113 FirstFirst ... 1523242526273575 ... LastLast

Thread: JBL Master Reference Monitor

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by Odd View Post
    So now Tannoys goes out the door.
    They went out the door of the convention center into my Jetta Wagon is where they went! I am so lucky!

Thanks for the rundown and personal interpretation , it poses more questions than it gives answers.
    For example where within the world of DSP control can the designers find the purity of the highest end audio.
    I suspect that they will need to dig deep within the domains of digital technology to eliminate the nasties that can present themselves. In a lesser system some of these ' artefacts ' are masked but by the sound of things there is nowhere to hide now.
    As I suggested previously if the folks at ML are not on this as we speak there is something out of whack.
    Ditto a sweeter looking 'consumer ' version is probably needed. Time for a really clever styling exercise perhaps even with some retro clues as a nod to the Heritage products. It is certainly an easy platform to work with being a 2 way ( Have a look at Rich's 2 way from a couple of years ago )
    Then of course there is trickle down ,, 12" + Horn 10" + smaller horn etc etc.

Its a Pandora's box , pretty exciting really. I'm watching for all the high end consumer dealers suddenly latching on to this suddenly professing their devotion to JBL products. It should certainly put JBL in a very very strong market position , lets hope Harman marketing ' genius' doesn't cock it all up.

M

Obsolete
    I think the powers that be are happy with the performance of the M2 and ML combination. The combination comes about as the result of Pro requiring that the M2 be sold in a packaged deal. They don't want Consumer selling an M2 like they would sell a K2 for example. I have no idea what the impact will be on the S4700, 4365, K2-S9900, etc. and neither does JBL. Maybe nothing? Not everyone wants a "package" deal. The issue has been recognized and the current response is that they will wait and see. Nothing is changing at the moment. Who knows what next week will bring.

It remains to be seen what will happen in the next year or two with respect to technology proliferation and new product. A pretty Consumer version of the M2? A better DSP engine?

I'm not sure the very high end audio realm is of interest. The M2 has a very large appeal potential with the Pro audiences it was intended for. The fact that is also makes for an exceptional LCR solution is icing on the cake.

I have always had a very high interest in the JBL Studio Monitor genre, so the M2 fits right into my preferences. I could easily live with a pair. I enjoy the DSP aspect as well. I have zero concern with respect to how high end audio perceives it. They hated the 4333/L300's too, not to mention everything else with the letters JBL on it.

Ok, first time In my life I'm going on the word of some I don't know, I have just listed my S4700's and amp on EBay, I will see what I can get as a reasonable offer and M2's here we come, I will go for the pro version!

I certainly have read these reports of the M2 and especially from CEDIA with great interest, and have been dreaming about a sonically invisible DSP ever since my DEQX days back in 2005-2007... I am still waiting. I am sure they will come along, but it is a slow train a coming.

The SDEC units are SOTA for PA and HT and are extremely powerful... When combined with JBL's correction algorithms, they do some wonderful things, but they are not sonically invisible, actually as they ship they sound like an old Pentium machine with fans a blasting... we did find that you can disconnect the fans if you give them breathing room and they seem to survive just fine, but still the ADA circuits are not mastering lab quality... or billet aluminum faceplate material (pick your flavor)

Still waiting, but the promise is getting closer all the time.

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by S4700 View Post
    Ok, first time In my life I'm going on the word of some I don't know, I have just listed my S4700's and amp on EBay, I will see what I can get as a reasonable offer and M2's here we come, I will go for the pro version!
    I've been considering doing the same. But I want to listen to them first at least.

Perhaps the difference isn't that great compared to the 2-way 4365 with DSP solution I'm running now?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    I certainly have read these reports of the M2 and especially from CEDIA with great interest, and have been dreaming about a sonically invisible DSP ever since my DEQX days back in 2005-2007... I am still waiting. I am sure they will come along, but it is a slow train a coming.

The SDEC units are SOTA for PA and HT and are extremely powerful... When combined with JBL's correction algorithms, they do some wonderful things, but they are not sonically invisible, actually as they ship they sound like an old Pentium machine with fans a blasting... we did find that you can disconnect the fans if you give them breathing room and they seem to survive just fine, but still the ADA circuits are not mastering lab quality... or billet aluminum faceplate material (pick your flavor)

Widget
    Have you tried Fouraudio?
    2213 + 2435HPL w/aquaplas + H9800 (Matsj edition)

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post

Widget
    So you are in agreement that it is most likely a stop-gap solution to get a package together as fast as possible to enable the selling of the M2 via the Consumer side? Or do you feel that these Harman guys think it sounds perfectly fine? I'm not sure who sets up their demo rooms at Northridge, CES, CEDIA, etc. but they sure hear differently than I do. I've come to the conclusion that they are set up that way to shock and awe as opposed to impress with finesse. In any case, the SDEC looks out of place with the rest of the ML gear.

You have not revisited DEQX since? I thought they were supposed to be better these days.

Quote Originally Posted by S4700 View Post
    Well, if the M2 doesn't do it for you is it possible that you just don't like the "JBL sound"? Plenty of people don't, so don't feel like you are weird or anything. Very early on I got the impression that you were headed down the road of selling the S4700's for whatever reason. There has to be a place in Las Vegas to hear the M2.
    Quote Originally Posted by Goophy View Post
    I've been considering doing the same. But I want to listen to them first at least.

Perhaps the difference isn't that great compared to the 2-way 4365 with DSP solution I'm running now?
    Considering doing the same when you have the 4365 with DSP solution isn't a good sign that the 4365 is doing it for you. You should hear the M2's first. I can't imagine them being very scarce soon enough.

As good as the other components are, the waveguide is the superstar of the system. My point being, it does things that the 4365 horn can't, and that will very likely be the most notable difference. There is no sweetspot bullshit with the M2. If you're in front of them, then you are in the sweetspot.

Quote Originally Posted by 4313B View Post
    Well, if the M2 doesn't do it for you is it possible that you just don't like the "JBL sound"? Plenty of people don't, so don't feel like you are weird or anything. Very early on I got the impression that you were headed down the road of selling the S4700's for whatever reason. There has to be a place in Las Vegas to hear the M2.
    And hopefully Sydney, too.

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffW View Post
    And hopefully Sydney, too.
    I'd have thought they'd already have some.

It's totally possible that I have owned more JBL and Crown products than most that post here, you would be hard pressed to find a bigger fan. I very much like my S4700's, however had I'd known the M2 was on its way, it would have been a no brainier for me, if I can't sell my speakers, it won't be the end of the world!

For those who have the chance, here will be an opportunity to listen both to M2 and DD67000: http://audiofest.net/new/

They're ugly

OK, I've said it. I realize that most on this forum don't really care how the stuff looks, but I was really underwhelmed seeing them in person. I realize they were designed as a tool, but I would have kept them in Pro and let Consumer dress up a pair before selling them with the ML group. There's a little curve on the front, but otherwise they are a plain, square edged, satin black box with a lemon-pucker horn at the top. Although they aren't small, I think they look larger than they are, and would love to see the combo in a 9900 style enclosure, though I realize they would then triple in price. Btw, I'm usually with you guys, but now that I'm semi retired, and spending the rest of my time courting super models, starlets, and the aesthetic elite, my priorities have changed (Kate Upton turned me down last week because my S-3100's had fake wood veneer).

At CEDIA, I kept looking away from the M2's at the Array 1400's and what beautiful speakers they are - what a change! A little robot headed, yes, but they looked really classy in comparison.

OK, bash away
    That the internet contains a blog documenting your life does not constitute proof that your existence is valid. Sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by timc View Post
    Have you tried Fouraudio?
    Nope... I don't know anything about their products. I did just checked out their web site. Superficially their speaker management product seems somewhat similar to the DEQX system.

What do you know about their products?

Widget

So you are in agreement that it is most likely a stop-gap solution to get a package together as fast as possible to enable the selling of the M2 via the Consumer side?
    Yep.

You have not revisited DEQX since? I thought they were supposed to be better these days.
    Nope... I think they have moved in the right direction, but I haven't heard anything that has given me the confidence to try it again.

There is no sweetspot bullshit with the M2. If you're in front of them, then you are in the sweetspot.
    Very interesting... can you elaborate?

The only speakers I have heard that I would describe like that would be the Steinway Lyngdorf LS Concerts... a very remarkable system, and crazy expensive.

Widget

Thread Information