Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 1641

Thread: JBL Master Reference Monitor

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Central Coast California
    Posts
    9,020

    JBL Master Reference Monitor

    May we talk about it now?

    http://harmanprogroup.blogspot.com/2...oduces-m2.html

    http://www.jblpro.com/products/recor...h.html#Spatial

    It's been introduced officially at NAMM 2013 in Anaheim.
    Out.

  2. #2
    Senior Member 1audiohack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Posts
    2,721
    Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome View Post
    May we talk about it now?

    It's been introduced officially at NAMM 2013 in Anaheim.
    Thats what they were waiting for.
    If we knew what the hell we were doing, we wouldn't call it research would we.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    La Habra, California USA
    Posts
    1,551
    That D2 isn't a compression driver, its a freakin Piston!

    Name:  TechDiv_R1C1.jpg
Views: 15528
Size:  29.2 KB
    When faced with another JBL find, Good mech986 says , JBL Fan mech986 says

  4. #4
    Obsolete
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    NLA
    Posts
    14,548

    Thirty-two years to replace the 4430

    .

    Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome View Post
    May we talk about it now?
    They're expensive.

    Quote Originally Posted by mech986 View Post
    That D2 isn't a compression driver, its a freakin Piston!
    A dual ring radiator.

    I am kind of surprised more people didn't jump on the offer to get a pair of the D2's. I guess they are waiting for the factory seconds to start showing up on eBay.

    Faston connectors... definitely something I don't associate with a two thousand dollar transducer.

    Image Control Waveguide
    I'd like to bolt a 476Mg or 476Be to this and see how good it would sound, but I guess I wouldn't be surprised if this thing ended up being just as unobtainable as the compression drivers.

    2216Nd Differential Drive® Woofer
    It could be interesting to see how this driver sounds in the M2 with the Crown DSP versus the S4700.

  5. #5
    Senior Member pos's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Paris, France
    Posts
    2,552
    The only technical measurement we have for now are the multi-axis/power curves (Toole style Name:  psy___gangnam_style_dance_by_kafa81-d5oib4o.gif
Views: 13971
Size:  10.3 KB).
    This this interesting already: the directivity behavior is similar to a S9800, with a large directivity for the compression (the H9800 has a much wider dispersion than its nominal 90°x60° on most of its band), and a rapid gain in directivity at the crossover point (much more pronounced than the 4338 or S9900 for example).
    The directivity collapses a bit in the UHF compared to the tweeter-assisted S9800, but the curves are smoother there of course, with no phase issue. All in all the directivity is kept wide higher than the LSR6332.

    Too bad the 30°/15° listening window averaged curve is missing for the M2, as I feel it shows some of the directivity issues of the H9800 (*very* wide horizontal directivity in the 3khz-8khz range), and that would have been interesting to see how the M2 waveguide behaves in this regard...

    Of course the response is smoother than the S9800 and LSR6332 because it is actively driven by a FIR crossover, so we can imagine the EQ was very precisely done with inverse corrections. But even with a perfectly EQed on-axis response the S9800 would probably not give off-axis/power curves that smooth: the M2 waveguide definitely has something to it in this regard (as do PT waveguides I think).
    The M2 extends also lower in frequency than the S9800 (flat down to 40Hz and only -3dB at 30Hz in anechoic conditions?!), also probably thanks to some EQ (mandatory to adapt the loudspeaker to the position and room anyway...)

    Waiting for the EDS now
    Attached Images Attached Images  

  6. #6
    Obsolete
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    NLA
    Posts
    14,548
    It could be interesting to see the default DSP curve.

  7. #7
    Senior Member ivica's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    serbia
    Posts
    1,633
    Quote Originally Posted by pos View Post
    The only technical measurement we have for now are the multi-axis/power curves (Toole style Name:  psy___gangnam_style_dance_by_kafa81-d5oib4o.gif
Views: 13971
Size:  10.3 KB).
    This this interesting already: the directivity behavior is similar to a S9800, with a large directivity for the compression (the H9800 has a much wider dispersion than its nominal 90°x60° on most of its band), and a rapid gain in directivity at the crossover point (much more pronounced than the 4338 or S9900 for example).
    The directivity collapses a bit in the UHF compared to the tweeter-assisted S9800, but the curves are smoother there of course, with no phase issue. All in all the directivity is kept wide higher than the LSR6332.

    Too bad the 30°/15° listening window averaged curve is missing for the M2, as I feel it shows some of the directivity issues of the H9800 (*very* wide horizontal directivity in the 3khz-8khz range), and that would have been interesting to see how the M2 waveguide behaves in this regard...

    Of course the response is smoother than the S9800 and LSR6332 because it is actively driven by a FIR crossover, so we can imagine the EQ was very precisely done with inverse corrections. But even with a perfectly EQed on-axis response the S9800 would probably not give off-axis/power curves that smooth: the M2 waveguide definitely has something to it in this regard (as do PT waveguides I think).
    The M2 extends also lower in frequency than the S9800 (flat down to 40Hz and only -3dB at 30Hz in anechoic conditions?!), also probably thanks to some EQ (mandatory to adapt the loudspeaker to the position and room anyway...)

    Waiting for the EDS now
    It would be interesting if any have the same info about "old" M9500, just as a comparison in the horizontal dispersion.
    For M2 it see,s to me that in its horn a kind of 'detraction teeth" are implemented in order to widen horizontal dispersion, over 12kHz +/- 15 deg can be expected (-6dB), almost the same 'problems' as BMS4590/92P in UHF region.

    Seems to me that the driver itself is more 'potent' then today horns applied.
    Regards
    Ivica

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Land of Sunshine
    Posts
    408
    Quote Originally Posted by 4313B View Post
    .

    I am kind of surprised more people didn't jump on the offer to get a pair of the D2's. I guess they are waiting for the factory seconds to start showing up on eBay.

    Faston connectors... definitely something I don't associate with a two thousand dollar transducer.
    What I would also like to try is to get the D2 and integrate it into my 4345s... are they 2 inch drivers? Would they fit the 2311 horn?

  9. #9
    Obsolete
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    NLA
    Posts
    14,548
    Quote Originally Posted by ngccglp View Post
    What I would also like to try is to get the D2 and integrate it into my 4345s... are they 2 inch drivers? Would they fit the 2311 horn?
    No, they will not fit a 2311 without modification.

    They completely supplant the LE175/LE85/2410/2420/2421/2425/2426 and 2405/077 combination.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    It wouldn't surprise me if the 1400 Array was a superior solution for home use. I certainly doubt the M2 has the level of detail resolution of the 476Be and 476Mg based home speakers... those DSP based Crown amps are impressive, but just how good do they really sound?

    I don't mean to rain on this parade... I am quite excited that JBL has decided to reenter this market, but I wouldn't drop coin on these without some serious audition time.
    It will be interesting to see how much of this technology spreads to the Consumer side. Are we going to see a 1-inch exit version? A 2-inch exit version? Less expensive versions? This new compression driver currently holds the number two spot in cost.

    Those who know say that it is "better" than the 2431/435AL but not quite as good as the 2435/435Be, nevermind a 476Mg or 476Be. One thing is certain though, it has no rival in pure output over an impressively wide bandwidth. It makes a wide-band two-way system a complete reality.

  10. #10
    Senior Member macaroonie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    near Glasgow Scotland
    Posts
    2,005
    Quote Originally Posted by mech986 View Post
    That D2 isn't a compression driver, its a freakin Piston!

    Name:  TechDiv_R1C1.jpg
Views: 15528
Size:  29.2 KB
    Once again for those interested here is the cross section

    Name:  PSWJBLVTXFigure2.jpg
Views: 22330
Size:  186.5 KB

  11. #11
    Senior Member martin_wu99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Xi'An,China
    Posts
    1,488
    So nice that M2 post reopened,i'm waiting for it
    How will it be comparing with 9900?
    Frequency Range:20 Hz - 40 kHz ??? +-3db or +-6db???
    Without utra-high,can it work well?
    46 lover

  12. #12
    Obsolete
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    NLA
    Posts
    14,548
    Quote Originally Posted by martin_wu99 View Post
    How will it be comparing with 9900?
    Well, it's pretty obvious that the M2 has the nicer looking graph. That has to count for something.
    Quote Originally Posted by martin_wu99 View Post
    Without utra-high,can it work well?
    I sincerely hope you are trying to be funny...


    As far as the S9900 and its "lean" low frequency response... it is real easy to apply a bit of EQ at the tuning frequency of the enclosure and fill it in a bit.

    Quote Originally Posted by JuniorJBL View Post
    I sure would like to hear them. I bet they sound nice.

    Nice to see a really nice monitor come from Pro again!

    These are 4430 cool!
    Agreed!

  13. #13
    Senior Member martin_wu99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Xi'An,China
    Posts
    1,488
    Quote Originally Posted by 4313B View Post
    Well, it's pretty obvious that the M2 has the nicer looking graph. That has to count for something. I sincerely hope you are trying to be funny...
    Oh,funny or not is not so important here,i just notice that D2 is very similar to BMS,but BMS can not reach 40K,so i have this doubt.
    46 lover

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    722
    Very nice system! I should have waited, lol! But, I'm guessing I probably couldn't afford these...
    S4700 owner.

  15. #15
    Senior Member macaroonie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    near Glasgow Scotland
    Posts
    2,005
    Quote Originally Posted by martin_wu99 View Post
    Oh,funny or not is not so important here,i just notice that D2 is very similar to BMS,but BMS can not reach 40K,so i have this doubt.
    Martin , please , the JBL has no similarity to the BMS in its method of operation. Yes they both have annular diaphragms but thats where the similarity ends.

    Once again , the BMS has an annular mid dia that feeds backwards and integrates with the output from a coventional forward firing HF dia . These two dias are fed via a coventional crossover network to make it all happen.

    The JBL does not work this way at all. It has two dias that play equal and opposite to each other. They push towards each other and then pull apart. Look at this cross section..

    Name:  PSWJBLVTXFigure2.jpg
Views: 3716
Size:  186.5 KB

    I suppose that this method alone gives rise to very efficient compression ratios meaning that in use the dias are less stressed mechanically and therefore the response can be tailored as required.
    It seems to me that this is similar in a way to the Heil AMT in that there is a multiplication factor of the motion of the dia , in this case times 2.

    Of course that is not the whole story but it is clear that the JBL development team involved with this have raised the bar significantly. It is not often that you will see a frequency response as ruler flat as they are publishing , regardless of how it is achieved.

    800Hz crossover FYI

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. TAD MODEL-1 REFERENCE MONITOR
    By gerard in forum General Audio Discussion
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 11-14-2014, 02:52 PM
  2. NAD Master Series
    By Domino in forum General Audio Discussion
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-05-2008, 10:34 PM
  3. L100T/L100S as a reference/studio monitor
    By ldizac in forum Lansing Product General Information
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 07-16-2006, 11:28 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •