Page 104 of 113 FirstFirst ... 45494102103104105106 ... LastLast
Results 1,546 to 1,560 of 1683

Thread: JBL Master Reference Monitor

Very interesting discussion here

Anyone compared original M2/D2 to hot rodded well equalised large format drivers with BE? Scott or Johan? Is there any recommended (DIY) BE-setting for the M2`s? POS?

Regards
    Karl

Hi Karl,

Funny you ask, I just started installing the be's into the 2450sl's last night. I also picked up some of the autoformers Thomas recommended here. Shipping was really fast from Bob Crites. Well equalized will be another story, but we will see. Hoping to finish up sometime late this week but it will most likely run into next week.

Thanks,
    Scott

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    It's certainly possible that since the Everests are my everyday speakers I have a bias, but to my ears the M2 was politely articulate where as the E2s are more exciting.

Widget

I too would expect this. Every time I compare a less than 4" diaphragm driver to the large format drivers, I have this same feeling about the sound of them. YMMV
    Always fun learning more.......

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Mackenzie View Post
    Was that in a double blind test?
    No. Harman was only set up to perform blind tests (audience blind; tester 'sighted') in the "speaker shuffler" room, and those tests are performed in mono with single speakers. (A DD67000 is so large and heavy it would surely break their shuffler mechanism.)

In the interest of full disclosure, I did not listen to the Everests and M2s in the same rooms — the Everests were in Greg Timbers' listening room, while my final audition of the M2s (the one upon which I base my opinion of the speaker) was in one of Harman's IEC listening rooms, which is a more acoustically neutral environment. I will say, however, that I've had enough experience in audio (nearly 40 years at the time) and have listened to thousands upon thousands of different speakers in different rooms, and know that the differences I heard were intrinsic to the speakers themselves, not caused by interactions with the listening environments. I heard them with all source material, at any listening location and at all volume levels. Room influences will vary considerably with listening location and volume level. I spent close to an hour with each set of speakers, using mostly the same source material, some of which I recorded myself in my home studio.

The DD67000 and the M2 simply are different animals; each presents sonic information in a different way. To my hearing, the M2 imposes less of itself on the sound than any other speaker I've ever heard. But not everybody hears the same, and many people here find that the DD67000 hews more closely to their idea of sonic neutrality. I 100% agree with Widget's characterization of the M2 being more "politely articulate" and the DD67000 being "more exciting". The difference between us is that I prefer to have my music characterized as the former, while he prefers his music characterized as the latter.

Obsolete
    Also keep in mind that the components in the Everest II are top shelf.
    The components in the M2 can be found on the shelf just below that top shelf, and at a considerable cost savings.
    The marvelous thing is that the M2 components can do so remarkably well given their dramatically reduced cost.
    I am thoroughly impressed with both systems. Win-win.

Quote Originally Posted by 4313B View Post
    Also keep in mind that the components in the Everest II are top shelf.
    The components in the M2 can be found on the shelf just below that top shelf, and at a considerable cost savings.
    Nice to see some posts from you after quite a long sabbatical.
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Does someone know what is the proper way to mount the waveguide of the M2 on the baffle? I have drawn a few possibilities. Is it one of these?

Name:  m2.png
Views: 1657
Size:  26.4 KB
    Name:  jbl horn mount proposals.png
Views: 1602
Size:  3.1 KB

I have drawn the contact surfaces in red. I would like to know how it is done on the genuine M2. Any idea?

Original I don`t know but on my DIY`s I did alternative 2.

//Kalle

Quote Originally Posted by gbadaut View Post
    Does someone know what is the proper way to mount the waveguide of the M2 on the baffle? I have drawn a few possibilities. Is it one of these?

Name:  m2.png
Views: 1657
Size:  26.4 KB
    Name:  jbl horn mount proposals.png
Views: 1602
Size:  3.1 KB

I have drawn the contact surfaces in red. I would like to know how it is done on the genuine M2. Any idea?

I think that the hole in the baffle is larger than the protruding part of the horn, all the way through.I used large washers to close the hole.

Quote Originally Posted by Don C View Post
    I think that the hole in the baffle is larger than the protruding part of the horn, all the way through.I used large washers to close the hole.
    It seems that it is not the case in the genuine M2. We can see this on this picture, on the bottom right-hand corner.

First, I thought that the solution 2) was used. But after thinking about it, I wonder what is the purpose of the protruding part. I think it may be used as shown in solution 3) to let a small gap between the baffle and the horn. In that gap is placed a gasket that is lightly compressed. But it is just a guess.

On this picture, that I have brightened, we can see the gasket on the bottom left-hand corner. It seems that it is fairly thin and not glued to the baffle.

Name:  13B23614-3FC0-4FD2-B28F-6A7EC5898E0E_zpsjm28qzpr.jpg
Views: 1570
Size:  547.3 KB

But this doesn't answer to my question.

Yes, seems you're correct.

Selling M2

I've decided to go the whole way and buy some DD67000s. This means I'll be selling my M2s that are less than a year old. I'm in the UK but willing to ship worldwide at the buyer's cost and risk. You can PM me and I'll also be putting an ad in the for sale section on here if you are interested.

I studied M2 and 4367 recently and fond a question:

M2 Frequency Range:20 Hz - 40 kHz at +-6db or +-3db?

Frequency Response (-6dB) 30 Hz – 40 kHz

Why so big difference?
    46 lover

I guess that is why threads that are on a point by point discussion are not always appropriate to open questions

Thread Information