Page 71 of 113 FirstFirst ... 2161697071727381 ... LastLast
Results 1,051 to 1,065 of 1683

Thread: JBL Master Reference Monitor

Quote Originally Posted by 1audiohack View Post
    It is two parts for me. The first is how much you can clean up the midbass/midrange when you employ another woofer. This really shows up when one listens loud.

The second is the impact one can get with two woofers operating in close proximity to one another. This is something you just don't get the full measure of with by adding a sub to a speaker.

This may just be me but the vast majority of systems I have heard in the last couple of years are missing a big chunk in between the subs and mains and there is a lot of tactile information there. The 4435's, 4350's and the 66-6700 Everest's deliver this in spades. It seems to me that at a glance, when this information is presented by a speaker like those just mentioned, people think that they are deep bass shy. The bass presentation of the big Everests or 4350's or 4435's, in decending order can be staggering.

Four 2216's each directly driven by a 1250 Watt amp channel paired two per side is something I am keen to hear.
    Barry.
    It looks like we share a dream. It would look like a giant version of my lowly SVAs but sound like heaven on earth. On top of the insane mid bass slam, nothing images better than a D'Appolito.

It is two parts for me. The first is how much you can clean up the midbass/midrange when you employ another woofer. This really shows up when one listens loud.

The second is the impact one can get with two woofers operating in close proximity to one another. This is something you just don't get the full measure of with by adding a sub to a speaker.

This may just be me but the vast majority of systems I have heard in the last couple of years are missing a big chunk in between the subs and mains and there is a lot of tactile information there. The 4435's, 4350's and the 66-6700 Everest's deliver this in spades. It seems to me that at a glance, when this information is presented by a speaker like those just mentioned, people think that they are deep bass shy. The bass presentation of the big Everests or 4350's or 4435's, in decending order can be staggering.

Four 2216's each directly driven by a 1250 Watt amp channel paired two per side is something I am keen to hear.

Barry.
    It looks like we share a dream. It would look like a giant version of my lowly SVAs but sound like heaven on earth.

Quote Originally Posted by audiomagnate View Post
    It looks like we share a dream. It would look like a giant version of my lowly SVAs but sound like heaven on earth. On top of the insane mid bass slam, nothing images better than a D'Appolito.
    I figure Barry for more of a 66000/4350/4435 layout sort of dreamer.

You got it Jeff.
    You know me too well.

Barry.
    If we knew what the hell we were doing, we wouldn't call it research would we.

The 4350's also have low distortion 1200Fe drivers in place of the 2202's. The 2440's and 2405's are as original. A DBX4800 serves as the DSP. These are a ton of fun with five amps and all.

All the best,
    Barry.
    Hi Barry,

Is there large differences between 1200Fe and 2202H ?

regards
    ivica

Quote Originally Posted by 4313B View Post
    1200FE - Sorry, just had to jump in with one of G.T's favorite sayings - "Light years better".

Of course it really depends on application - by comparison, raucous definitely goes to the 2202H.

Interestingly, after years of living with the 1200FE G.T. made the remark that if he had it all to do over again he would run the 1500AL right up to the horn and leave the midbass out altogether. One reason for that, which stood out in the conversation, was the big four-inch voice coil on the 1500AL (and that is when the 2206H came up in the conversation). There has been a very long standing push on various forums to stick a smaller diameter transducer between the fifteens and the horns. But whatever, smaller midbass transducers can be fun. The 1200FE is outstanding in the 4429 and that is an excellent example of intended use.
    Hi 4313B,

......with one of G.T's favorite sayings - "Light years ahead" , as I have remembered your words....

Personally, I prefer 2202 then 2122 or 2123. To me, human vice is "vary natural".

I have no opportunity to , even see, nor to hear, or measure 1500AL, but looking at its technical presentation, I am staying in belief that its construction would give a guarantee that its operation must have be very precise.
    Owing to its size a kind of beaming can be expected over 1kHz, and as can be seen from the modern horn&drivers combos, owing to very fast flaring horn and used 'throat-less' drivers diaphragm loading under 1kHz is fare to be adequate. I am waiting your (You have promised us) M2detailed measurements (FR,THD, directivity...), so I would expect mid-bass driver to be involved in M2++ project .

regards
    ivica

HI ivica;

I used the 1200Fe in place of the 2202 for a couple of reasons:

I wanted to explore crossing over to the 1500's lower than the 2202 would play with authority. It turns out that in the little dog box it goes into in the 4350, it measures nearly identically in magnitude anyway.

The 1200Fe is a low distortion woofer, what's not to like about that?

I do like it, very much.

Barry.
    If we knew what the hell we were doing, we wouldn't call it research would we.

How about 14LE-H3 or PRO1400?

//RoB
    The solution to the problem changes the problem.
    -And always remember that all of your equipment was made by the lowest bidder

I haven't heard the 2216nd, but the LE14-H3 sounds very promising even without any woofer midrange EQ.
    Also I just read something to the effect that the 1400pro had similar acoustics to the 2216nd.
    I guess they wouldn't need to be all that electrically similar if if the XOs are handled with DSP...

Quote Originally Posted by pos View Post
    That one here maybe?
    Thanks POS. It seems the WG is not recessed at all at the top. This means you have about 5mm of the horn protruding on the top and on the sides. How can you align this with the bottom, curved part of the front baffle? When the grill is in place I'd like the front to be completely aligned; horn, baffle with grill mounted and bottom curved part in the same vertical plane, not with the horn protruding. Any ideas? If anyone has pictures of where the 45 degree corners meet the woofer baffle and the bottom curved part I'd love to see them. Thanks!

Do you have the waveguides at hand?

Quote Originally Posted by pos View Post
    Do you have the waveguides at hand?
    Yes, I do. Can't wait to fit them in a nice box

This link posted by POS shows some different angles that may help.

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...l=1#post379863

Great, thanks. Exactly what I was after!

This is a quick sketch of the back of the WG:

It looks like the WG needs to be mounted to a baffle that's inset from the top & sides by 3/4" and only 5/8" from the face of the woofers baffle. I guess that means the woofers baffle is inset 1/8" from the forward edge of the sides?

Thread Information