Page 54 of 113 FirstFirst ... 444525354555664104 ... LastLast

Thread: JBL Master Reference Monitor

Obsolete
    Perhaps this is something similar to those SUB1500 drivers Parts Express ended up with years ago.

TBH this is the right price for that driver, and in line with BMS pricing.
    Considering the material used it would be silly to sell it the same price as 3" Be or 4" Ti drivers with complex (to manufacture) phasing plug, as it obviously cost much less to manufacture.

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by pos View Post
    TBH this is the right price for that driver, and in line with BMS pricing.
    Considering the material used it would be silly to sell it the same price as 3" Be or 4" Ti drivers with complex (to manufacture) phasing plug, as it obviously cost much less to manufacture.
    Yep. Obviously it was grossly overpriced for several years.
    I'm glad I didn't pay $3k for a pair...
    And obviously G.T. was correct in stating that it was nowhere near a 476, Mg or Be.
    I think it is pretty darn decent for this new price though. I just ordered a pair for the heck of it. I need the impedance curves I've been asking about for several years now.

That is what good engineering is all about: best possible performance (where it counts) at a (lower) cost (and now price, finally )
    In that regard this driver is (now) amazing!

Obsolete

Thumbs up Wow!

http://reconingspeakers.com/product/...bl-m2-5041785/

JBL 2216ND Woofer for JBL M2 #5041785
    $435
    JBL D2430K Tweeter for JBL M2 #5032754X
    $345
    JBL M2 Horn Lens #5025594
    $260
    JBL M2 Horn Flange #5026224
    $99

$1,139

I'd say that opens up all kinds of world class DIY project possibilities. Unprecedented!

Yeah I have a pair of the horns and flanges on order. Just couldn't resist.

Rob
    "I could be arguing in my spare time"

Hmm tempted to order the Wave Guide........will investigate a European route.

Please, somebody stop me from doing this

Name:  M2.5.jpg
Views: 4142
Size:  54.2 KB

Obsolete

Unless you need the extra efficiency I don't think it is worth the hassle.

I'd wait and see if Pro comes up with something along those lines using a different low frequency transducer.

The 2216Nd in the M2 is ridiculously good all by itself.

As it is now and with that woofer it should remove the need for the 135Hz/8dB shelving down low.
    Oh well, you're right of course, and it looks bad anyway...

Strange how the world turns. I wonder if we are at the cusp of JBL's two year product cycle.
    Anyway I can see a lot of box making coming up soon. Looking forward to some nice interpretations on a theme.

Quote Originally Posted by macaroonie View Post
    Strange how the world turns. I wonder if we are at the cusp of JBL's two year product cycle.
    Anyway I can see a lot of box making coming up soon. Looking forward to some nice interpretations on a theme.
    I've just measured my 9800 clones and they are the same width as the M2 WG.....very tempting.

I think there is something really weird about this whole thing. Early this year or late last year I plugged the M2 horn and adapter numbers into the spare parts search and they came up as available with the promise to ship date the day I was looking. This typically means they are in stock and will ship next business day. I didn't actually order them because I was sure they would bounce it back.

Another weird thing, the 2216Nd no longer shows up under spare parts or finished goods. I can't find it at all. Those have been on the list for a couple of years until a couple of months ago.

None of this makes any sense to me. Has the M2 been a sales dissapointment? Is it about to get a major revision?

On another note, late last year DBX anounced the end of the run for their flagship 4800, and there is still no word on a replacement. I get the advantages of having DSP built into the front end of the amp but for that to go away is just a surprise.
    If we knew what the hell we were doing, we wouldn't call it research would we.

Hi POS,

STOP doing that!
    But technically speaking, my opinions ONLY, if You have decide to do such design:
    -I would try to get some better LF driver, say something like 2269 that can fit into about 160Lit box
    -mentioned 2216Nd can be used as a 'lower mid-bass' (3" VC), but as can be seen
    [http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...&d=1350661354]
    it can be used up to 500~700Hz, so a kind of 'high mid-bass' would be well come, especially if You plan to use M2 horn, whose under 1.2kHz loading, I would guess , would be questionable. May be a kind of financial trade-off some 1kHz crossover would be acceptable, but such hi frequency can be a dispersion problem for 15-inch driver too, so a kind of beaming can be get.
    -I have no idea about REAL M2+D2430K dispersion over 10kHz. Some measurements seen here with M2&2451Be(Trex) drivers are not promising too, so a kind of UHF wide dispersion driver has to be applied (may be) over 10kHz....You can ask forum member sebackman
    [http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...?600-sebackman ] about his experience about that.

Regards
    Ivica

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by 1audiohack View Post
    Another weird thing, the 2216Nd no longer shows up under spare parts or finished goods. I can't find it at all. Those have been on the list for a couple of years until a couple of months ago.
    I just ordered one of everything from Pro for a center channel. Are you sure you are putting in all the right part numbers?

Quote Originally Posted by 1audiohack View Post
    None of this makes any sense to me. Has the M2 been a sales dissapointment? Is it about to get a major revision?
    It doesn't to me either but I don't care enough to ask about it.

Because these are so inexpensive I can also use my inexpensive $150 AVR that Harman sent me this past Monday (a replacement for a replacement for a replacement for a replacement) instead of having to buy really expensive back end components. What a relief that is!

Thread Information