Page 40 of 113 FirstFirst ... 3038394041425090 ... LastLast

Thread: JBL Master Reference Monitor

Congratulations!

Once they are set up, please do let us know how they sound.

I have no doubt the speakers and the concept are really excellent and you should be able to get them tuned to your room, but I do wonder about the electronics. Do you play analog sources at all or only digital files?

Thanks in advance for sharing.

Widget

Widget,

Is the concern over the electronics based on experience with the Crowns or born out of old audiophile thinking vis a vis the importance of esoterica?

It's been a while since I visited here but I've been considering the M2 as I'm struggling to find a DX-1 for the K2's and rather like the idea of going active. I also find the 435be to be rather unexceptional in many ways and the newer domestic designs to be unaffordable.

Hello Valentin

Up against 208's! That should be an interesting comparison.

Rob
    "I could be arguing in my spare time"

Quote Originally Posted by merlin View Post
    Widget,

Is the concern over the electronics based on experience with the Crowns or born out of old audiophile thinking vis a vis the importance of esoterica?

It's been a while since I visited here but I've been considering the M2 as I'm struggling to find a DX-1 for the K2's and rather like the idea of going active. I also find the 435be to be rather unexceptional in many ways and the newer domestic designs to be unaffordable.
    Hello Merlin
    Where are you at with your 1500AL+TD/TH4003+ET703 setup?

Quote Originally Posted by Robh3606 View Post
    Hello Valentin

Up against 208's! That should be an interesting comparison.

Rob
    I had the same thought.

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by merlin View Post
    Widget,

Neither... my concern comes from my experience with other equipment I've used in the past and my current system.

In my current system, Lyra cart, John Curl Vendetta phono, or a variety of digital sources and a Bryston DAC, Mark Levinson 326S pre, Halo JC-1s, and DD-66000s... I usually prefer the analog version of a recording as there is usually less of a sense of congestion or compression. The analog sound usually sounds more open with a greater sense of depth.

I anticipate an improvement in my digital playback with an upgraded DAC, but I haven't found a great DAC at a great price... still looking.

I certainly can appreciate the benefits of a proper DSP in front of the speakers, but I would hate to gain that at the cost of what I do get with many outstanding analog recordings. I certainly believe that digital technology is in my future, I'm just not sure if the future has arrived.

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    I anticipate an improvement in my digital playback with an upgraded DAC, but I haven't found a great DAC at a great price... still looking.

Widget
    Maybe the new Mark Levinson 560 is something for you then?

Hello Merlin
    Wow, thats an interesting setup. Wouldnt the 1601c be the natural woofer choice rather than the 1500AL in this case? This would basically make it a TAD 2404 exclusive with UHF support

/Mostly

Quote Originally Posted by pos View Post
    Hello Merlin
    Ah a distant memory. Broken up long ago - I've spent a long time travelling since. A great memory though, and one I have Widget to thank for.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    Neither... my concern comes from my experience with other equipment I've used in the past and my current system.

In my current system, Lyra cart, John Curl Vendetta phono, or a variety of digital sources and a Bryston DAC, Mark Levinson 326S pre, Halo JC-1s, and DD-66000s... I usually prefer the analog version of a recording as there is usually less of a sense of congestion or compression. The analog sound usually sounds more open with a greater sense of depth.

I certainly can appreciate the benefits of a proper DSP in front of the speakers, but I would hate to gain that at the cost of what I do get with many outstanding analog recordings. I certainly believe that digital technology is in my future, I'm just not sure if the future has arrived.

Widget
    Thanks Widget.

My reservations are along similar lines. My analogue front end is a SME tt with Lyra Kleos and TEAD Groove SRX phono stage. I've found I can preserve 99% of the magic digitally but only by recording to DSD 128. PCM conversion and DSP loses something and I worry about the effect of the processing with the M2.

I'd very much like to get the thoughts of "analogue people" playing in a digital world. I might try and get a demo over here and see how it works out. I've owned previous Crown amps which really did not impress at home.

I dont use analog soreces any more Widget the sorce is a Byston BDP-1 to a Bryston B135sst2 with DAC

I knew this one, but man those fans on the crown amps are very noisy it of mount importance to get them out of the room or a special silent rack hope they do somethig about it as more active systems come out

Initial review

The sound of the M2 with out adjusting any parameter is fantastic very clear and transparent the bass is fantastic, both in depth and tone

are spot on (its so fast "precise") . I love the sence of space you get with them its amazing

The Revel F208 is a very nice speaker but by the side of the M2 you feel them small and a lot les dynamic maybe a little more relaxed but les defind in the bass

imaging is a lot better in the M2 than in the F208 or the Array 1400 it is amazing how solid it feels

Highs are also nicer in the M2 than that of the Array and livelyer than the F208 (airy) and dynamic headroom is to die for probably only beaten by the everest

i have played alot of difrent typs of music and the speakers justs get of of the way

incredible speakers Good Job Team Harman

will put more comentes after some more weeks of hearing them

Imaging is a LOT better than the 1400's? This I gotta hear! I love the way the 1400's float a voice like you can reach out and touch it. When you say "without adjusting any parameters" you mean you have them set up with no room correction, but you're using filters in the Crown designed for the M2s, right?

Quote Originally Posted by audiomagnate View Post
    Imaging is a LOT better than the 1400's? This I gotta hear! I love the way the 1400's float a voice like you can reach out and touch it. When you say "without adjusting any parameters" you mean you have them set up with no room correction, but you're using filters in the Crown designed for the M2s, right?
    Yes no room correction

Yes imaging is a very strong point with The M2

Quote Originally Posted by Valentin View Post
    I dont use analog soreces any more Widget the sorce is a Byston BDP-1 to a Bryston B135sst2 with DAC

I knew this one, but man those fans on the crown amps are very noisy it of mount importance to get them out of the room or a special silent rack hope they do somethig about it as more active systems come out

Initial review

The sound of the M2 with out adjusting any parameter is fantastic very clear and transparent the bass is fantastic, both in depth and tone

are spot on (its so fast "precise") . I love the sence of space you get with them its amazing

The Revel F208 is a very nice speaker but by the side of the M2 you feel them small and a lot les dynamic maybe a little more relaxed but les defind in the bass

imaging is a lot better in the M2 than in the F208 or the Array 1400 it is amazing how solid it feels

Highs are also nicer in the M2 than that of the Array and livelyer than the F208 (airy) and dynamic headroom is to die for probably only beaten by the everest

i have played alot of difrent typs of music and the speakers justs get of of the way

incredible speakers Good Job Team Harman

will put more comentes after some more weeks of hearing them
    I have two Crowns MAi and the noise is there but never bothered me when playing music thru my system. Heck, Ive been playing know for 3-4years and never get my lazy fingers of building a box that will get them little bit quieter. But some day I will

Nja, the Crowns stays despite the fan noise It has noise but not that noisy if you know what I mean!

Could you please take that again without using any parameter. What kind of crossover unit do you use?
    How do you connect your amp? Is it a single amp with Bi-wiring and without x-over?

You certainly have my attention, better than the Arrays! Now I have to go hear a pair.

The sound of the M2 with out adjusting any parameter is fantastic very clear and transparent the bass is fantastic, both in depth and tone are spot on (its so fast "precise") .
    Sounds like E-145's on steroids. Glad I got my table saw ready to go.

Rob
    "I could be arguing in my spare time"

Bobecca

The M2 dont have xo.
    The recomended sistem is too use a crown Itech 5000hd per speaker whitch has a BSS integrated unit and this Dsp is in chargge of XO and some factory EQ

you can can also make some room adjustments ( in some weeks i will do )

Thread Information