Thread: Please help me identify if this is a real JBL 4333B

Please help me identify if this is a real JBL 4333B

Hi All:

I recently purchased a JBL 4333B from ebay.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/140906586407...84.m1423.l2649.

I noticed that this 4333B is not walnut/blue face version. Many friends suggests that this one could be 4331 convert or 4333B with utility cab. i did took out all components, seems they are all 4333b originals

Could somebody tell me

1) If this is painted from 4333b grey cab or utility cab, what is the story with 4333b with grey cab? why JBL come up with grey box instead of walnut/blue face. is this just color difference? ( i do know there is a home version of L300 and studio version of 4333b)

2) If this is a 4331 convert, how can i tell? as far as i know, 4331 is a two ways speaker. i have done some researches, it seems crossover is different between 4331 and 4333, but how can i tell?

3) Is this worth $3200? or $2800 without shipping (since we all have to pay shipping fee somehow)? obviously, i am expecting 4333b, not 4331. if not, i would like to return it according to ebay protection policy.

4) How can i improve these speakers? any options? I definitely want to change interior insulation as it smells really bad. Also i have found mouse drop inside which concerns me.

Thank you all!!

A 4333WX is a walnut finish...a 4333A is gray. The 4333B came out in the 1980 catalog and it is walnut. The one in your picture looks like it was veneered after the fact, the front edge molding looks wrong also, the 4333 front edge looks like a 45 degree edge on the front. Hope this helps...
    Last edited by Tim Rinkerman; 01-25-2013 at 11:43 AM. Reason: !

4333B's Identity

I have 4333As and 4331Bs both in walnut, cabinets are identical with blue faces and 45 degree face mouldings. Your interior pictures look correct and your crossovers should be 3133As as they seem to be. If only they could talk....

Judging from the ebay pictures, it looks like you have a pair of 4333's that were originally Utility Grey with black face and flat front edges. A previous owner veneered the cabinet and put incorrect molding on the front. I would open up and check the innards to make sure everything else is correct.
    That the internet contains a blog documenting your life does not constitute proof that your existence is valid. Sorry.

thanks all. What's purpose of JBL to make 4333 in grey cab? i did took out all speakers, they match to what i see on 4333 manual. but the only thing i am not too sure is crossover

Quote Originally Posted by kaoticfury View Post
    thanks all. What's purpose of JBL to make 4333 in grey cab?
    It's called a "utility" cabinet. They cost less because it cost less not to finish them. Just paint and go.
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

cost...

but if you compare some of the price sheets the utility cab cost more...go figure. I have a 1974 one here somewhere..

and yes - it looks like a stock cabinet with oak veneer and hardware store trim added. I have one here and a 4350.

sub

Quote Originally Posted by kaoticfury View Post
    thanks all. What's purpose of JBL to make 4333 in grey cab?
    I did took out all speakers, they match to what i see on 4333 manual. but the only thing i am not too sure is crossover
    Like someone said either here or on AK - the utility cabinets were popular
    when someone wanted to mount the whole speaker cabinet
    high in the studio space or into the wall. why pay for fancy
    American walnut veneer cabinets if no one would ever see the cabinet.

Looks to me like you got a nice pair of speakers -
    Have you been playing them much?
    Do you like their sound?
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

The crossover and controls look entirely stock and correct.

Why glue around dust cap seems to be red?
    46 lover

The glue that comes in a JBL re-cone kit is that color.

I'm not used to seing plywood used as material for the baffle. I could be wrong, but it looks homebuilt.

thanks guys. I was able to get $280 back from the seller because the interior is kind of poor.

what amp do you guys recommend to drive these speakers? i also have a set of 4344. would like to have a good amp that can drive both speakers.

thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Don C View Post
    I'm not used to seing plywood used as material for the baffle. I could be wrong, but it looks homebuilt.
    That, and there should be a 1"x3" grey metal badge fixed to the back of the cabinet indicating model and serial # information.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike F View Post
    That, and there should be a 1"x3" grey metal badge fixed to the back of the cabinet indicating model and serial # information.
    I have the same thought, but I check hifi do Japan store, they sold several grey 4333b without the badge

Still not sure..

Thread Information