Thread: Any B380 owners out there?

Any B380 owners out there?

I've been searching the forums for ages, and I give up, so I'll just post my questions.
    (Any links will be most appreciated)

How important is the supplied (separate) base to the operation of the B380?
    Is it meant to de-couple the box from the floor or what?
    Does the box's frequency response suffer at all by not having one?
    I know my 4520's (J-bins) work better with a pedestal, so I was wondering if the same thing applies here. (Yes I know, totally different type of bass box, but bass coupling problems with the floor are common regardless of the box design, if you know what I mean....)
    Anyway, I'd be really happy and very grateful for anybody's input.

Cheers all,
    Woof.
    I might be deaf, but I can still hear da bells! (Quasimodo)
    .... Oh, and the Kick Drum.

It's 1" particle board, painted flat black, with hard plastic nub feet on one side and 1/2" round adhesive cork pads on the other. Since no one was discussing coupling or decoupling when this thing came out, I'm pretty sure it's an aesthetic thing, meant to get the speaker grill off the carpet. I notice no difference with it on or off, but you could easily make one yourself to play with...
    That the internet contains a blog documenting your life does not constitute proof that your existence is valid. Sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by HCSGuy View Post
    It's 1" particle board, painted flat black, with hard plastic nub feet on one side and 1/2" round adhesive cork pads on the other. Since no one was discussing coupling or decoupling when this thing came out, I'm pretty sure it's an aesthetic thing, meant to get the speaker grill off the carpet. I notice no difference with it on or off, but you could easily make one yourself to play with...
    When I had a B380 I laid mine on its side on a chunk of beech colored particle board from IKEA that I had laying around.
    My TV room has a short tuft carpet - not sure I heard any difference, then again, it wasn't the JBL certified piece-a-wood.
    Here's a picture from a few years back when I had 4341 monitors as mains. ... as you'll see, a lot has changed since then!

I'm currently running an 18" 4641sub in a similar way - on its side, under very thin cloth, with an IKEA beech panel on top -
    Its basically in "stealth mode" in the far right corner. Even then its got plenty of oomph without a "foot panel".

Name:  4641-cloaked.jpg
Views: 1017
Size:  91.4 KB
    Name:  4641-revealed.jpg
Views: 1270
Size:  80.8 KB
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

I use the stand so I do not scratch the speaker. The description of the stand is exactly what it looks like. I thought it was home made when I got mine with my third b380. No difference in performance that I can tell.
    Well why not it's just one more pair...
    4340's and 250ti's what an odd pair...

Thank you for everyone's input.

After closely inspecting the Tech Sheet, I also thought it may have something to do with protecting the finish of the box when deciding which way up it was going to sit.

Case closed....

Hope everybody's enjoying their JBL's?

Without trying to start a controversy, you will definitely hear an improvement in bass response with a larger, more massive platform, and some footers, compared to the original platform, or no platform.

Name:  DSC_01180001.JPG
Views: 2104
Size:  143.7 KB

Quote Originally Posted by rusty jefferson View Post
    Without trying to start a controversy, you will definitely hear an improvement in bass response with a larger, more massive platform, and some footers, compared to the original platform, or no platform.
    Yes Rusty, you're right.
    No controversies allowed here.....

Just kidding!!!!

So you obviously have messed about somewhat, to have come up with that set-up....
    Hmmmm. A B380 on the chopping block! (Are the spikes actually screwed into the box?)
    Having experimented in the past with PA subs and forklifts (???), I've generally found that ANY sub can gain heaps of benefits and will reveal it's true self, by being a considerable way off the floor. Up to about a metre in fact. You really get to hear just the box then without the effects gained by having added reflections caused by boundaries.
    But then again, listening at home in the loungeroom is a far cry different to setting up a system in an auditorium.

Anyway, I'll know more once I pick the box up this coming Thursday.

Thanks heaps for your input.

UPDATE: Well, I got it, with a base, and all's well.

.... and yes, it makes no difference with it, or without it.
    As I originally thought, it just helps to protect the finish of the cab when in either sitting upright or lying down on it's side.
    The sad part of the story is that it did come empty (but at least the B63X and base did come with it), and all I have to throw in it is a JBL 2215, BUT at the levels I use this at, it sounds just fine.
    One day, I'll get the 2235, if I can find and afford one. They just don't pop up very often down here in Oz. (let alone at an affordable price.)

Cheers all for your input....

Woof.

Thread Information