Thread: New member - My Metregon with SE401E and SG520 project

New member - My Metregon with SE401E and SG520 project

Hi All, just registered my self to this fantastic forum which I've been reading on and off for the past 5 years.

Thought I wanted to share with you my Metregon project since I know there's a few (many?) fans in here that would hopefully appreciate it

This speaker has a family history since back in 1973. My father and mother bought their first house together that year paying approximately SEK 75.000 (USD 15.000), why do I mention this!? Well you need to understand how big a fan my father was towards JBL's products, when he 9 months later, without telling my mother bought this piece from the UK incl. the SG520 pre-amp paying around USD 3.500 (including taxes and transport) - which, when comparing to what they paid for their house was a lot of money.

This was driving my mother crazy when they barely had enough money turning their daily life around at that time. Well - the music has always been important to my father, who can blame him! at least he had taste for the finer things in life...do I need to say that my mother until this day still don't appreciate it - every time she sees it in my house she gives me this look and shakes her head, with a little smile on her face though

My father past away 10 years ago now (God rest is soul) leaving us with this remarkable heritage - which I now intend to restore/repair it to it's "original" configuration and setting.

So far what I know (think) it's a mid 60's version with the S92 speaker package, fitted with the SE401E amp and the LX7 crossover. Unfortunately the serial# label is gone on the back - only the holder remains. The SG520 gives sound but needs a caring hand, some channels don't work - uneven level output etc. The energizer/transducer don't make a sound, so I guess I really need to dig deep in this making it work. I'm not in a hurry but was thinking that 2013 would be the "fixing" year. So please bear with me thru this....

Hope the attached pics work, otherwise I'll post again

Attached Images Attached Images      

That's very nice. Thanks for sharing. And now for some quick calculation. The Metrogon speakers were about 25% the price of the house. By 2010's standards, the average price of a new house in the US is $280,000, then those speakers would have been $70,000... Yup. Your mom must have pulled her hair out... ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Lee in Montreal View Post
    That's very nice. Thanks for sharing. And now for some quick calculation. The Metrogon speakers were about 25% the price of the house. By 2010's standards, the average price of a new house in the US is $280,000, then those speakers would have been $70,000... Yup. Your mom must have pulled her hair out... ;-)
    Yes - when putting it in perspective it was quite an insane stunt to make, which easily could have resulted in a immediate divorce. Luckily my mother have a big heart....hmmm and thinking about it, he was actually also putting my birth in jeopardy since I was born in 77 now I'm being a little superstitious I know

Thread Information