Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Eq suggestions?

Hey Fredrik

What are you using speaker wise?? Looking at your EQ settings I am surprised you have as much variation above 500Hz. Figure that should be above where most room problems are you try any room treatment like Sonex panels to help tame it down.

Rob

Figge
    Originally posted by Robh3606
    Hey Fredrik

What are you using speaker wise?? Looking at your EQ settings I am surprised you have as much variation above 500Hz. Figure that should be above where most room problems are you try any room treatment like Sonex panels to help tame it down.

Rob
    do you mean wire? i use regular lamp-cord im supprised about the variation too. channel 1 look quite allright...but 2? however the sound is improved...and the room aint symetrical between the channels...

idunno.

lemmeno what im doin wrong...

No No not the wire What speakers?? Not sure you are doing anything wrong just surprised by the variation between channels and where the EQ seems to be needed.

Rob

Using the RTA properly

The above may be an issue as well. I agree Rob, the settings look suspect. Not only what speakers but what RTA was used and how was it done?

Ken

Figge
    ehm...sorry...i pink-noised my sony TA-E86B----->Yamaha P2201---->4430 (with L-pads on 0db). and wound up like this....

Fearn EQ,s

Hi Scott

Cute Red thing . How Much ?

I'll have to hook up a DN27 soon, to see what it does on the bottom end.

I now realize my stated impressions of these DN27 go back 26 years. A lot has changed from those days.
    Back then my Crown 300s were considered big amps until replaced with Phase Linear 700(s).

The cute red thing is a single channel 5 band Pultec style EQ, list Price $4400! So you would need two for stereo, OUCH!

But I listened to this one for quite a bit in a studio, against others, and the thing sounds great, especially the midrange. Absolutely beautiful sounding.

It has detented, spaced, boost and cut controls and I would prefer a continuously variable pot on these functions, but Fearn says it wont sound the same with pots.

Really for recording, but man, this thing sounds the best I have ever heard in my life!

Tube and L-C tuned filters!

Last edited by scott fitlin; 10-08-2004 at 12:41 PM.

Figge

Re: Using the RTA properly

Originally posted by Ken Pachkowsky
    The above may be an issue as well. I agree Rob, the settings look suspect. Not only what speakers but what RTA was used and how was it done?

Ken

a rane ta27 i think...it says in the openingpost here. i used it at my "studio-buddies" place to tune in the 2235 sub into his 4301B:s with a cross at 60hz. worked DAMN fine...what a result!

now i pinknoised 1 channel at a time. mic at brain positon at the listening spot...

Earl

Hi Scott

Cute Red thing . How Much ?

I'll have to hook up a DN27 soon, to see what it does on the bottom end.

I now realize my stated impressions of these DN27 go back 26 years. A lot has changed from those days.
    Back then my Crown 300s were considered big amps until replaced with Phase Linear 700(s). >>>>>>>>>>>

Hi Earl, I kind of thought the same thing, but even todays music is better, to me, through the White 4200A EQ,s! Bigger, more solid, the highs are sparkly, and the mids have jump! The White EQ,s are pretty much the most transparent sounding 1/3 octave I have used!

I have tried pretty much everything there is for pro use, and room EQ, and yet, I always run right back to my Whites!

And one thing Im sure of, that I love about the particular generation of White EQ,s that Im using, is that a little bit does alot! 1 db here, maybe 1.5db there, etc! No smiley face curves in here!

Yet, with the newer Constant Q designs, I need to cut much harder to achieve the same thing!

Many have tried to tell me thats its the inaccuracy opf the Whites that makes it seem like it does so much, but on my analyzer, 1db of cut on the EQ registers as 1db of cut on the RTA screen! This was especially true when I tried digital EQ.

Most of all, with the White EQ,s in my system, it sounds like music to me!

Re: Earl

Originally posted by scott fitlin
    [/B]
    And one thing Im sure of, that I love about the particular generation of White EQ,s that Im using, is that a little bit does alot! 1 db here, maybe 1.5db there, etc! No smiley face curves in here!

Yet, with the newer Constant Q designs, I need to cut much harder to achieve the same thing!

Most of all, with the White EQ,s in my system, it sounds like music to me! [/B]
    Funny you should mention that. One thing I noticed going from my Rane ME60 to the 4400's was the settings are very minor. The max cut or boost I am using is 6db. On the Rane they go as high as 12-15db.

Hmmm, more amunition for Scotts argument...

Ken

Re: Re: Earl

Originally posted by Ken Pachkowsky
    Funny you should mention that. One thing I noticed going from my Rane ME60 to the 4400's was the settings are very minor. The max cut or boost I am using is 6db. On the Rane they go as high as 12-15db.

Hmmm, more amunition for Scotts argument...

Ken
    You notice what I notice! The White just seems to do it, and it doesnt take much. Everything else I have to use more to get the same result! Never quite understood why this would be, but it does seem this way!

I had the BSS Varicurve in here on trial, you cut 6db it didnt sound nearly as effective as 2db of cut on the White! Same experience with the BSS-FDS-388 vs my Urei - 525!

My Whites are just plain BEEFY sounding, I love them! Does anyone have a logical explanation for any of this?

Hmm

Worst case cut on my Urei's is a 6db cut. Don't seem to really need more than that. Maybe the constant Q's are set to high so the finer adjustments are not as effective as a lower Q where a wider band is adjusted?? Could be they have them optimized for somewhere in the middle of their range.

Rob

My biggest cut!

Only 2.3db at 2.5K. That tames the peak in the 2395/2441.

Thread Information