Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Eq suggestions?

Figge

Eq suggestions?

i just got hold of a RANE RA 27 RTA with mic. and need a good eq to get this going. any suggestions? not too expensive max $200, and since the rest of my stereo has turned rack-mount i might aswell get a maching eq.
    Last edited by Figge; 10-05-2004 at 04:22 PM.

ATTENTION:

We gotta stop Figge from "getting hold of" stuff.

[He's gonna get DAZED and CONFUSED like the rest here soon.]

Answer: What Widget's got. I forget....

Figge

Re: ATTENTION:

Originally posted by Zilch
    We gotta stop Figge from "getting hold of" stuff.
    yeah! good luck iīm too far gone...no turninīback now

Get a pair of White 4400s if you can find them. They may cost a bit more than you want to spend, but they are the best I have heard. I did manage to get an excellent pair on eBay for $250, but they are usually a bit more.

I would strongly suggest you avoid the Rane graphics. They have that "Rane Sound".

Widget

Figge
    tnx for the info! iīll keep an eye out for those white:s..

as for rane i had my eyes on a pair of mono eq:s but im guessing i dont want that "rane sound"(they were pretty expensive btw) well he can keepem!

stereo eq more convenient, 2 mono better results/performance?...i got it right?

lets put the question this way instead: what brands should i stay away from.
    Last edited by Figge; 10-06-2004 at 03:57 AM.

White 4400's are great...

I agree with Widget on the White 4400's and use a pair myself. Klark Teknik graphics are very good as well.

PS: I would increase your budget somewhat. If you can't I would go the Rane route G series if you can find one with the 45mm faders. For the first time I find myself on opposite sides from Widget. I think Rane makes a good eq. Here is a good deal.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...750384316&rd=1

Ken

White 4400's are great...

By the way. I tink you could spend the next year bidding on a pair of 4400's and not get them for less than 400 to 500 bucks. Widget was very lucky to get those at that price. I have seen them go to 800 a pair just in the last 12 months.

Ken

Figge
    ok. the ones i had my eyes on were 2 pieces of RANE ME-30 for $200. looks like this.

http://www.proaudiosystems.co.uk/aca...ane-me-30b.jpg

I use Urei 539's and I have no complaints. Just watch the older ones with the plastic shafts on the pots. They stick and can break. The newer ones have metal shafts.

Rob

White!

Originally posted by Mr. Widget
    Get a pair of White 4400s if you can find them. They may cost a bit more than you want to spend, but they are the best I have heard. I did manage to get an excellent pair on eBay for $250, but they are usually a bit more.

I would strongly suggest you avoid the Rane graphics. They have that "Rane Sound".

Widget
    I agree 110%, the White 4400,s are the way to go!

They come up on Ebay every now and then, and you can usuually score em for a good price!

L-C tuned filters blow Constant Q,s out of the water!

Fav brands and models

1. White 4200A,s Cut only, 1/3 octave, 10db make up gain, LC tuned filters. HP/LP filters.

2.White 4400,s cut/boost 1/3 octave LC tuned filters. HP/LP filters.

3. urei 539,s cut only, 1/3 octave 20db make up gain, LC tuned filters. HP/LP filters.

4. Altec Acousta-Voicette 729A cut only, 1/3 octave LC tuned filters, 20db make up gain, no HP/LP filter. Consumer version of Altec pro mono EQ,s RCA in,s and outs! Nice sounding stereo EQ.

5. BSS-FCS-966 Opal stereo cut/boost 1/3 octave Constant Q filters with shelving feature and HP filter.

Klark-Teknic I dont care for, the newer ones from 93 up use thick film circuitry to emulate the sound of inductors, but, didnt do it for me! Thin sounding, as compared to White!

Rane,well, need I say anything at all?

If you decide to use a cut only, you might need an RTA to get your curve proper! Kind of hard to tune a cut only by ear alone, but done correctly yeilds the best resolution!

Rob makes a valid point about the urei 539,s, and it applies to all the urei EQ,s! If you see the urei EQ,s on Ebay, and they have the white plastic faders they are the ones you DONT want! They get crudified, stuck in place, you cant clean em and restore em, and there are NO replacement faders available, that I know of. The newer ones have black metal faders, and these last indefinitely!

Let me know what your interested in though, I have many EQ,s most of which I dont need! I have BSS, K-T, Urei, and Altec. My Whites Im keeping, they been with me since I bought em way long ago!

formerly "the city where imagination takes precedence over fact"

love my whites

4400s are the way to go -- got both of mine on ebay for about $200 each within the last 6 months......

set that ebay search agent......

Last edited by louped garouv; 10-06-2004 at 01:00 PM.

Figge
    not exactly crawling with whites on the used market here in sweden... gotta go with a alternative. somebody is selling 2 steven eq-31 in my pricerange. also DOD 231 QX and AB international model 231 are those on the "stay away from" list?
    Last edited by Figge; 10-07-2004 at 12:07 PM.

Steven?

Originally posted by Figge
    not exactly crawling with whites on the used market here in sweden... gotta go with a alternative. somebody is selling 2 steven eq-31 in my pricerange. is that on the "stay away from" list?
    These i am not familiar with! So I dont know.

For White you have to check Ebay every week, and every day! When 4400,s come up they will be bid on!

Figge
    how about DBX 231?

Thread Information