Thread: JBL Customs

JBL Customs

Hello JBL people. Haven't been here in awhile due to a change in speaker taste, but alas I am back again. I have been experimenting with Acoustat X's with servo amps with excellent results, but still needed a pair of speakers for the family to enjoy as the servo amps carry massive voltage, and eminent danger to pets, children ect. I recently picked up a pair of JBL custom built speakers for a decent price. They are a three way design using Sound Craft cabinets? Never heard of them but certainly not as sturdy as JBL cabinets. Speakers are a 2215A bass driver, 2108 mid bass driver and a bullet tweeter. These speakers sound very good. Bass is a little lazy and slow compared to the e-stats, but more plentiful and textured. What suprises me is how good the mid bass driver sounds. Clean and clear, with great attack. Crossovers look custom built using good poly caps, and quality coils.

Any thoughts on improvement aside from serious cabinet repair or replacement? Would adding a horn on top add anything? Say 2420 with salad?

Quote Originally Posted by lpd View Post
    Hello JBL people. Haven't been here in awhile due to a change in speaker taste, but alas I am back again. I have been experimenting with Acoustat X's with servo amps with excellent results, but still needed a pair of speakers for the family to enjoy as the servo amps carry massive voltage, and eminent danger to pets, children ect. I recently picked up a pair of JBL custom built speakers for a decent price. They are a three way design using Sound Craft cabinets? Never heard of them but certainly not as sturdy as JBL cabinets. Speakers are a 2215A bass driver, 2108 mid bass driver and a bullet tweeter. These speakers sound very good. Bass is a little lazy and slow compared to the e-stats, but more plentiful and textured. What suprises me is how good the mid bass driver sounds. Clean and clear, with great attack. Crossovers look custom built using good poly caps, and quality coils.

Any thoughts on improvement aside from serious cabinet repair or replacement? Would adding a horn on top add anything? Say 2420 with salad?

It looks good
    I think it more like a 4628.
    no necessary to add a 2420 and a horn
    46 lover

OMG lpd, Acoustat Xs! I remember when Jim Strickland, Acoustat engineer, was interviewed perhaps thirty years ago on In Fidelity, the Los Angeles FM radio hi fi show on KPFK hosted by Peter Sutheim . Jim discussed the X design, including those hairy direct drive tube amps. One of the all time great concepts, now lost to history, or so it seems.

The Xs were amazing but just too sketchy with children and pets. Besides, selling them created more space for JBL's.

Thread Information