Thread: My DIY clone of 4345

My DIY clone of 4345

Dear Lansing heritage community,
    I would like to share my incarnation or clone of famous JBL 4345 Studio minitors. It was real fun making this, but I must admint I had big problems to find drivers in good state here in Serbia. So finally I ended with:
    JBL 077 with original blue dias
    JBL LE85 with original dias, horn and lens , wax seal intact (close serial numbers, difference of two)
    JBL2123 reconed with original C8R2122
    and finally JBL 2245 refoamed (close serial numbers, difference of two)
    Crossovers are done without iron cores and autotransformers by using schematic posted here on forum. In future I will possibly go to battery charged network.
    I must say this system is really working so gooooddddd
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Amplifiaction and source

Currently rest of system is made of:

1. 2x Luxman M-02 as monoblocks
    3. Peamp Luxman C-02
    4. CD Philips CD960 5. DVD Pioneer DV-610AV
    6. Interconnect Preamp-Amp Kimber Cable
    7. Loudspeaker cables Pink Triangle
    8. Interconnect CD Preamp Kimber Cable Hero + WBT

I would like to thank forum member Ivica for his help to make my dream come true and all of you for offering so much info how to construct this clone.

Nice. I understand you're running full passive crossover? What schematic did you go for? From what I remember 4345 natively have a 2" throat compression driver and horn. I see you have a 1" le85. Was that accounted for in the crossover?

Anyway, looks like the cabs are nice, sound must be nice too. Enjoy!

You can find all info about crossovers from following thread:

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...esigner-s-Post

JBL4345 is using 2420 compression driver which is pro version of LE85, 2307 horn and 2308 lens. JBL4355 for example is using 2" driver.

It was interesting idea at one point to try to use 2441 driver and 2311 horn as "upgrade" but it is too complicated to put 2" driver beacuse of its size. It simply colide with midbass box and some wood work is necessary. Beacuse I wanted to follow original idea I simply give up on that approach.

Quote Originally Posted by Amnes View Post
    Nice. I understand you're running full passive crossover? What schematic did you go for? From what I remember 4345 natively have a 2" throat compression driver and horn. I see you have a 1" le85. Was that accounted for in the crossover?

Quote Originally Posted by Amnes View Post

Hi Amnes,

Just as an info for the new-comer, originally 4345 had 1"inch throat driver (2420 as LE85), but I would be very happy when Zeljkor finally would decide to put his 2441AL+2311 horn-driver combo, instead of the preset 1"-throat combo. Some of our member can encourage him to that, owing to the their experiences (please heeeelp.....). On the 4350/4355 2"-throat drivers were used, with 2202 mid-bass instead of 2122 (as in 4345).

I have a pleasure to enjoy in Zeljkor's 4345 'beasts' driven by Luxman amps. My bad English does not allow me to explain the feelings how light and easy music is reproduced in the same time full of power and clarity, light as a feather and strong as granite, but an a few words AMUSING and AMAZING.

It is easy to visualize drums, or trumpet with the 'cup mute' while listening.

Regards
    Ivica

Ahh yes. Now thats why I mixed up the drivers - forum members encouraging to go for the 4350 crossovers.

Guys, I know how these sound since I run 4344 clones. I've never heard full passive, but let me tell you do active bi amped sound good

The drums, the trumpets, the hi-hats - it's all there. Been listening to house music all day long today.

All I can say is - enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by zeljkor View Post
    I would like to share my incarnation or clone of famous JBL 4345 Studio minitors. It was real fun making this, but I must admint I had big problems to find drivers in good state here in Serbia. So finally I ended with:
    JBL LE85 with original dias, horn and lens , wax seal intact (close serial numbers, difference of two)
    Crossovers are done without iron cores and autotransformers by using schematic posted here on forum. In future I will possibly go to battery charged network.
    Getting the components is really becoming the challenge these days. Good effort paid off it would appear. Nice going.
    David F
    San Jose

Your words are so true, I needed almost two years to collect all drivers.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidF View Post
    Getting the components is really becoming the challenge these days. Good effort paid off it would appear. Nice going.

Very nice! Any pics of the construction?

2245 compensation network in 4345 pasive solution

Quote Originally Posted by zeljkor View Post
    Hi,

May be here suggested compensation of 2245 response would be useful for some DIY-4345 members

Regards Ivica
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thread Information