Thread: L110, removing tweeter/mid controls

L110, removing tweeter/mid controls

Wanted to know how to remove these so I can clean them (there are no screws holding them in). And the tweeter controls (and maybe mid controls too), when turned down sounds like the tweeters are completely turned off. Is this normal? They highs are pretty bright and fatiguing. Anything I can do to change this?

I'm not real keen on the amp I have, either: Yamaha AX-596 100W. Would changing amps improve the overall sound of the speakers?

It's a shame there as been no response here because I'm also curious about how to remove the tweeter.

Quote Originally Posted by cookl09 View Post
    Wanted to know how to remove these so I can clean them (there are no screws holding them in). And the tweeter controls (and maybe mid controls too), when turned down sounds like the tweeters are completely turned off. Is this normal? They highs are pretty bright and fatiguing. Anything I can do to change this?

I'm not real keen on the amp I have, either: Yamaha AX-596 100W. Would changing amps improve the overall sound of the speakers?

Hi apparently you can get to the controls by first removing the woofer and you can reach up inside the hole were the woofer was and I presume undo the screws on the inside with some difficulty . Check out the thread titled. JBL L110 restoring crossover-networks i think it's discussed.

I once owned L110s and I liked them very much. I was driving them with a 110 W Sansui Au 10000 and sounded sweet to me. I'm not familiar with your amp, the few amps I've experimented (sansui's and Accuphase) I'd say you can get alter the sound with the amp a bit. But I'd say if your L110's are sounding really unpleasant there might be something up. So you can clean the controls (or Lpads as theyre known) with deoxit spray to remove any corrosion on the contacts, you'd usually hear a crackling sound as you turned the dial if this was needed. I can't recall if turning the tweeter control down on my L110's turned off the tweeter completely or not but that sounds odd. your other option is to recap the crossover. I did this on my 4311s and noted a cleaner more detailed sound. The L110s should sound pretty nice, but depends what your used to. If youre used to laid back British speakers e.g than even properly working L110s might seem a little bright and harsh in comparison I guess.

The woofer should be removed first so that you can reach and hold the L-pads in place when the nuts are un-screwed from the L-pads. You will need to remove the plastic knobs (they pull straight off the shaft of the L-pad) and the plastic calibration inserts (they are glued in place and come off quite easily) to access the nuts and washers that hold the L-pads in place. I used a small pair of needle nose pliers to turn the nuts since they are recessed a ways in the cabinet.

Larry

Thread Information