Thread: SK2-1000 did not sound good - is it me?

SK2-1000 did not sound good - is it me?

I have recently heard two demos of the SK2-1000 speakers. The first were a stereo demo with no room eq and a S1S-EX sub for each speaker crossed at 80hz.

The second demo was a complete theater setup with two S1S-EX and an SDEC4500, Bryston processor and, as far as I remember, Synthesis amps.

I had very high expectations for this system, but... I was dissapointed! Both times I heard the SK2 speakers, they sounded kindda harsh. The higher frequencies were fatiguing and the midrange sounded a little "boxy". I have heard the Array speakers multiple times, and I actually prefer their tonality and qualities. But this has been in different rooms, so a lot of variables.

So I would love to hear your opinions of this speaker - is it my demo's which have been bad, or is it just not one of JBL's best speakers? Its rather high priced and uses good components, so I am a little surprised they didn't blow me away. By looking at the measurements on the JBL Synthesis site (For the 3300 model though), the off axis is not very smooth - that surprises me as well.

Obsolete
    Well... I'll just say that the Arrays are really nice.

And yes, the SK2-1000's do have some nice components in them.

Quote Originally Posted by 4313B View Post
    Well... I'll just say that the Arrays are really nice.

And yes, the SK2-1000's do have some nice components in them.
    Ditto!

Never heard the SK2-1000... I do know that it has been discontinued and replaced by the SK2-3300.

Widget

Didn't the SK2-1200 start life as a surround, then it somehow mutated into a L-C-R as well?
    Out.

If so, then it was one hell of a pricey surround speaker If others have experience with the speaker, I would very much like to hear about them.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonas_h View Post
    If so, then it was one hell of a pricey surround speaker If others have experience with the speaker, I would very much like to hear about them.
    It was part of a pricey Synthesis set up with the K2 S9800s.

It also was its own complete system: Synthesis® Hercules.

The loudspeakers in the JBL Synthesis Hercules system at CES 2003 include five SK2-1000 loudspeakers and multiple Synthesis S1S subwoofers. The electronics are composed of the SDP-40 surround processor/preamplifier, SDEC2500A digital equalizer, nine S800 power amplifiers and a custom S2500IC interconnect kit.The SK2-1000 JBL Synthesis Hercules loudspeakers utilize the identical 435Be beryllium midrange compression driver and 045Be ultrahigh-frequency beryllium compression drivers used in JBL's top-of-the-line, award-winning K2 S9800. The 435Be midrange compression driver uses a 3" voice coil in a compact, neodymium motor assembly that is encapsulated in a Kapton® suspension for unmatched durability. The driver is progressively heat formed (rolled) from pure beryllium into extremely thin foil prior to forming the diaphragm, creating a stronger, less brittle structure with superlative sonic performance. The speakers' 045Be ultrahigh-frequency compression driver features a neodymium magnet and a ribbon voice coil directly mounted to a beryllium diaphragm to reduce weight and deliver maximum high frequencies.
    Out.

Thread Information