Thread: Transmitting a sound signal wirellessly (wifi)

Transmitting a sound signal wirellessly (wifi)

Let's say that my computer is in one room and is a source of music (iTune, Reason/Recycle) and that my mixer/preamp is in another location. I don't want to run long wires but I already have a wifi router in the place. What is the best compromise between quality and price?

Logitech Squeezebox Touch.

Quote Originally Posted by 10 Watt Street View Post
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch.
    Thanks for the reply. But at $800, It's not a great value when all I need is a bridge between my computer and my pre-amp. Not to mention that the whole Squeezebox line has been discontinued.

I was thinking more into a simple wifi bridge to carry a signal from my computer to the mixer. Like this Lynksis product at $100.00. Basically, I want to remove long wires. Nothing more.

http://homesupport.cisco.com/en-ca/s...bridges/WMB54G

Or this one

http://www.sondigo.com/sirocco/overview

Anything cheaper?

The Logitech Squeezebox Touch has a list price of $299. It has been discontinued but there has been a steady supply of new ones available for under $300. Look on your local craigslist.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee in Montreal View Post
    Let's say that my computer is in one room and is a source of music (iTune, Reason/Recycle) and that my mixer/preamp is in another location. I don't want to run long wires but I already have a wifi router in the place. What is the best compromise between quality and price?
    You can use an Apple Airport Express. It has both analog and digital outs and costs $99.

Widget

I'll bite - Seems like the obvious or at least the easy answer is to use an Airport Express - about $100ea
    You can come out of the minijack with a Toslink optical feed, run that into a DAC,
    and feed the output to whatever system you have in that room.
    I do it with Apple Lossless files, older MP3s that are on the system, even radio stations that are loaded into iTunes.

I gather it isn't a good solution if you have a lot of HD audio files.

Sorry Widget - think alike we do ...!
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    Sorry Widget - think alike we do ...!
    Twins... separated at birth.

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    You can use an Apple Airport Express. It has both analog and digital outs and costs $99.

Widget
    Yep, works great, and is bit accurate for your DAC as long as you have the iTunes volume at 100% and have disabled the iTunes equalizer. You need a mini jack to spdif adapter though. In my setup, storing the files in AIFF sounds a little more open than storing them in Apple Lossless, although the communication between iTunes and airport is supposed to be in ALAC, strange enough. But the difference is only slight.

Does Airport Express only work with iTune, or can it also work with any source on my Mac? I play music using Reason, Recycle etc.

Edit - Airport will not work with anything else than iTune. Therefore not a viable option for me.

I stream all mine through a cheap ($149 maybe from Costco) Sony Blu-Ray player. Since I use an external DAC, the data piece was really my only concern.

That said, I don't use iTunes, and I don't know if Macs natively support DLNA protocol, but it might be an option to look into.
    PT800/PS1400 | ML No 532H | AR Reference 3 | Thorens TD-126, Sumiko FT-3, Talisman S | Musical Surroundings Nova II | NAD M51

Does Airport Express only work with iTune, or can it also work with any source on my Mac? I play music using Reason, Recycle etc.

Edit - Airport will not work with anything else than iTune. Therefore not a viable option for me.
    Well, the Airport system can be used simply as a network extender,
    go out of the Airport Express into ethernet and allow whatever other protocol you might pass on ethernet across the link.

I know you can use Airfoil to feed any audio that plays on a mac across a Wifi link.
    See http://rogueamoeba.com/ - you can download it and try it in 10 minute sessions to see if it works for your use.

I have not used Airfoil myself ... but I have used some of their other software.
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

I use a Squeezebox Touch/usb out mod/Mdac, excellent, even plays HiRes files over wifi from mac mini.
    Another cheaper way is via Apple TV. The Touch is a great piece of kit though , easily controlled via your smart phone as remote-cool.

Thread Information