Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 4410's; anybody like 'em

Quote Originally Posted by midlife View Post
    So I got 'em, (excellent shape, $250) the Century 100's and read alot about the various reasons why they won't sound good (xover, driver array) and yep they don't sound as good as my other JBL's.
    the pair that I gave my son are still here and I'd been using them to play music from the PC ...they were OK as they were augmented with a pair of Sonance MB30's for HF. have no experience with xover upgrades to them, only what Mac's link said..

Centuries were replaced in my installation with AMT 10b's and havn't looked back.

Thats a fine price in the current market ...the pots prolly need cleaning, as flat spots are bound to be there by now.
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    Guess I am confused - the way it started, the thread was about 4410s -
    but the L100 [Century] is related to the much older 4310 speakers.

I got a pair of L100s in very clean shape a couple years back for about $150 -
    got new grills, cleaned them up, sold them for about $600 shipped to FL -

Didn't particularly care for them - dry and dull, like the 4310s -
    but nice because selling those speakers funded other gear I did like
    Yes I did drift off the original topic a bit...anywho these Century's are very very clean, I really would like to plug in a more suitable JBL 3way xover and see if this could be a nice system but they could be flipped for more than I paid...no regrets

Yes I did drift off the original topic a bit...
    anywho these Century's are very very clean, I really would like to plug in a more suitable JBL 3way xover
    and see if this could be a nice system but they could be flipped for more than I paid...no regrets
    Tweaking old "classics" like the L100 into something else rarely returns the money you put into them.
    So rather than try and make them something they are not,
    probably best sell them on the open market and put the money
    into a newer model with a sound you like better.
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

you got it.

Quote Originally Posted by gferrell View Post
    Maybe not that loud in a concert hall sitting 30 rows back!

Quote Originally Posted by Rolf View Post
    you got it.
    You are a good man Rolf!
    XPL 200's w DX1, XPL 160's, XPL 140's, L7's, L5's, L3's, L1's Homemade L Center, 4412's, 4406, L60T's, L20T's

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    Tweaking old "classics" like the L100 into something else rarely returns the money you put into them.
    So rather than try and make them something they are not,
    probably best sell them on the open market and put the money
    into a newer model with a sound you like better.
    Plugged a Soundcraftsman EQ into the system and with a little fader tweaking the Centuries sound much better, quite listenable

Plugged a Soundcraftsman EQ into the system and with a little fader tweaking the Centuries sound much better, quite listenable
    Brilliant - and with no changes to the speakers themselves or their sale-value - a great strategy!
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Yes, i like "em

I have one pair 4410 and one pair 4412. The 4410's have inferior bass sonics vs. those of the 4412's. The 4412's sound a bit more "open" and their bass is very tight. But... Try as I may in the Near/Midfield enviornment, with the 4412's I have not been able to evoke the truly superb imaging of the 4410's.

The bass sonics of the 4410's are OK, UNLESS... they are used with subwoofers. I had them set to a response of -3db @ 125 hz. by way of .022 uF caps at the input of the "high" amp (Alesis Matica). Then their mid-bass function was truly suberb, and made the upper registers sound very clean.

The resultant first order high-pass characteristic segued perfectly with a low-pass first order "Network" (a Gold Sound 10 mh inductor) between the bass amp (Hafler DH-220) and a 2235H in a 5 cu. ft. enclosure, one per stereo channel. A "Zobel?" network, 12uF in series with a 10 ohm resistor, was also used from the "+" to "-" network outputs going to the bass drivers.

I had also used a Borbely 50 w/ch. kit amp from Audio Amateur Mag. It was way better sounding than the Hafler, but lacked the power needed for higher SPL.

I did not notice any ill effects of the 2235's with first order alignment filtering.

The inductors were "trimmed" to -3db @ 125 hz by way of removing a few turns. I used a GenRad Digibridge to make the left & right inductors identical. A very nice piece of gear.

I plan to build a pair of enclosures that will allow the components of the 4412's to be put in the vertical alignment scheme of the 4410's. That should give the tighter bass of the 128H and great imaging.

Sorry the post got a bit long winded.

Sounds like a great project, please post pictures when done.
    XPL 200's w DX1, XPL 160's, XPL 140's, L7's, L5's, L3's, L1's Homemade L Center, 4412's, 4406, L60T's, L20T's

Thread Information