I agree that vinyl has a nice high frequency response. That's one of the things I love about it. I think once you get past 20khz it's pretty much useless bandwidth however -- I don't think most of us (any of us?) can hear past 20 khz not to mention that there's not much if any useful information on most master tapes (or digital masters) past 20k anyways. However, the CD responds nicely down to 20 hz which is definitely an audible frequency range. There's plenty of sound on many recordings down that low--even a pipe organ goes pretty "darn" low.....

It may be safe to say (?) that both formats (CD and Vinyl) can reproduce frequencies as high as people are capable of hearing, but the CD can also reproduce down to 20 hz and vinyl will "crap out" before that.

I read this about the upper frequency response of CD's--kind of interesting.....

"For example, audio CDs have a sampling frequency of 44100 Hz. The Nyquist frequency is therefore 22050 Hz, which is an upper bound on the highest frequency the data can unambiguously represent. If the chosen anti-aliasing filter (a low-pass filter in this case) has a transition band of 2000 Hz, then the cut-off frequency should be ≤ 20050 Hz to yield a signal with negligible power at frequencies ≥ 22050 Hz and complete pass of frequencies ≤ 20 kHz (within the human hearing range)."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nyquist_frequency

Also read something very similar at Audiokarma.....

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post

I think genre/era affects this discussion as well. Listening to 60s/70s/80/s mostly , a lot of that was not recorded well and no matter what format ..is not going to be great ..ie: if you copy a turd, well, you still have a turd.
Yes, it's hard to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear!

Quote Originally Posted by Mannermusic View Post
Bravo! On the money. Yes, and those direct-to-disc projects were the ultimate example of cooperative effort between musicians and technicians. Consider that once everything was set up, balanced, 100% functional, when the downbeat was given you could not make a mistake! From a Harry James big band project at Sheffield Labs, 1976:"The session started off poorly. Nothing sounded quite right. Two whole 3 hour sessions were gone, and not one note had been recorded. Harry was unhappy, and when Harry is unhappy, you WILL know about it. Our technical staff plugged on and pretty soon smiles were seen on what had been glum faces. Our recording engineer, Ron Hitchcock, was positively beaming, but the clock was running out. All present knew that the time to accomplish this meshing of art and science had arrived." Doug Sax excerpt from The King James Version.
Thanks! Yes, there are some great direct to disc recordings. I own this one and it sounds phenomenal! Very nice performance too....
http://www.discogs.com/FM-Head-Room/release/2151815

Same band that recorded the album "Black Noise" http://www.amazon.com/Black-Noise-FM/dp/B00APPJO70/ref=sr_1_cc_1?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1357864753&sr=1-1-catcorr&keywords=fm+black+noise+cd