Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Project Array 1400 Audition

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    If it makes you feel any better...
    It does. Thank you!
    PT800/PS1400 | ML No 532H | AR Reference 3 | Thorens TD-126, Sumiko FT-3, Talisman S | Musical Surroundings Nova II | NAD M51

Quote Originally Posted by 1audiohack View Post
    Are you sure? Mine do not. The wire grill frame has four ends that slip with considerable friction into rubber wells. Same with the Array 1500 subs.

That is exactly how mine are as well.
    Careful man, there's a beverage here!

I blame the theater lighting in that room then - we both thought the pins were plastic (as were so many JBLs that had gone before), but perhaps they were indeed metal.

jblnut

Assembly

I'm about to make a run to SoCal to pick up some Array 1400s to take over duties from the 4350Bs currently in the living room, freeing up enough space that wife can begin to enjoy the fireplace again. Can any of you tell me if it would be easy/feasible to separate upper and lower components for transportation? I'm not sure whether it would be best to leave them assembled and lying down on a side, wrapped in furniture pads OR disassembled and wrapped individually. Any thoughts from those who did their own setups? Thanks.

Thumbs up

I'd like to do a shoot out between the 1400 Arrays and my S4700s!
    S4700 owner.

Quote Originally Posted by 4313B View Post
    You'd really have to hear them side by side to make a decision.

I'm not kidding when I suggest to people to buy a pair of SAM1HF's and put them with a decent pair of low frequency transducers of their choice... there is alot to be said for the vertical horn sporting the 3-inch 435 compression driver core with the aluminum diaphragm. But... in reality, it isn't necessarily a slam dunk integrating the SAM1HF with various low frequency transducers, it can take some effort.

The K2-S5800 you wanted, the 1400 Array, the SAM1HF and the 4338 all use the same high frequency and ultra-high frequency compression drivers (some other systems did too, S4800, SK2-1000, etc).

The more expensive S4700 uses the less expensive 1.75-inch aluminum diaphragmed 175Nd-3 which is used in a vast number of JBL systems including the 1000 Array and 4429.

Pure speculation on my part but I suspect the Dealer suggested the S4700 to you based on price. I believe the K2-S5800's you originally wanted were $18K a pair, closer to the $20K price tag of the S4700, while the 1400 Array is "only" $12K a pair.

While the 1400 Array uses "better" compression drivers, the 2216Nd in the S4700 is arguably light years ahead of the LE14H-3, which is closely based on the original LE14A from the sixties - my point being that there isn't a whole lot of modern "goodies" or technology built into an LE14H-3 or LE14H-4. The reason the LE14H-3 and LE14H-4 can still be used in high performance loudspeakers today is because the guy who designed the LE14A back in the sixties hit a game changing home run and it takes a ton of modern technology to outperform it.

There is also the network to consider since that little detail literally makes or breaks a design. For example, although the 4365 uses significantly better transducers compared to the S4700, the S4700 ends up being the more musical of the two systems and that is primarily a network detail. One thing the S4700 makes liberal use of is neodymium and the weight savings is substantial.

Wait a minute, I'm positive the S4700s use titanium drivers?

http://www.jblsynthesis.com/download...2011-12-28.pdf
    S4700 owner.

Quote Originally Posted by doodle6 View Post
    I'm about to make a run to SoCal to pick up some Array 1400s to take over duties from the 4350Bs currently in the living room, freeing up enough space that wife can begin to enjoy the fireplace again. Can any of you tell me if it would be easy/feasible to separate upper and lower components for transportation? I'm not sure whether it would be best to leave them assembled and lying down on a side, wrapped in furniture pads OR disassembled and wrapped individually. Any thoughts from those who did their own setups? Thanks.
    There is a strong possibility that they will be damaged in transit if you do not take the horns off. That said, if the Project Array badge on the horn is fully attached it may be quite difficult to remove it without damaging the soft touch paint on the horn.

Work slowly and have a helper to support the horn while you unplug the connection. Good Luck and I hope you enjoy the 1400s! They are a very different experience than the 4350s.

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by doodle6 View Post
    If I remember from previous threads, you have to remove the emblem at the bottom front of the horn to access the bolt that holds the horn to the woofer enclosure. Unfortunately, the emblem is held on by adhesive, so you'll probably mark up the horn getting it off, or damage the emblem. Getting a replacement from Harman may be difficult as well. I would carry it on its side or back, but with the head supported. The 800's and 1000's ship with the head attached - I have a thread somewhere here on fixing them when they get shaken loose by freight, so be very careful with supporting the head - can you carry them upright?
    That the internet contains a blog documenting your life does not constitute proof that your existence is valid. Sorry.

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave_72 View Post
    Yep, memory is failing. The 175Nd-3 does use the aquaplased titanium diaphragm.

It's quite interesting that the 435AL really isn't that much more expensive, something like a hundred bucks if I remember correctly. Remember correctly... that's funny.

It's the 435Be that's a whole other ballgame. I think...

Pillows and beanbag chairs

I was hoping to be able to disassemble them easily, but that information about the badge being held on by adhesive is really a concern. But so is the thought of having significant side loads on the horn from riding horizontally.

[Edit - ran outside with tape] Just measured the clearance from the pickup bed to the camper shell and I have over two inches of clearance - enough for a sheet of 1/4" masonite, a furniture pad and then furniture pads around and over the tops of the horns. That's gonna be a MUCH better use of the space and a nicer, smoother ride for the speakers.

Thanks for the assistance. Without being led through, I'm afraid I wouldn't have considered the upright alternative.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    They are a very different experience than the 4350s. Widget
    I'd pretty much resigned myself to not ever getting to hear the comparison, having missed an opportunity a couple of years ago to acquire a set of the 1400s. But thanks to a buddy here in town, I happened to do a search just hours after a set appeared a few days ago and managed to snag 'em. Absent hitting a MegaBall, they were the faint last remaining speakers on my bucket list. Isn't serendipity great?

Quote Originally Posted by 4313B View Post
    Yep, memory is failing. The 175Nd-3 does use the aquaplased titanium diaphragm.

It's quite interesting that the 435AL really isn't that much more expensive, something like a hundred bucks if I remember correctly. Remember correctly... that's funny.

It's the 435Be that's a whole other ballgame. I think...
    No problem. Thanks for the info. So, the K2 is really the way to go. I wish I could have afforded those...
    S4700 owner.

Obsolete
    So, the K2 is really the way to go.
    If a person has that kind of disposable income, sure.

I'm curious to see what happens with the new M2.

No problem. Thanks for the info. So, the K2 is really the way to go. I wish I could have afforded those...
    12K vs 44K

http://www.jblsynthesis.com/download...2011-12-28.pdf
    The 2-inch Aqua-Plas™-coated titanium diaphragm compression driver (175Nd-3) is mated to a 90° x 60° Bi-RadialŪ horn and delivers mid- and high-frequencies with lifelike dynamics and startling realism while an ultra-high frequency 0.75-inch titanium diaphragm compression driver (138Nd) with a 60° x 30° Bi-Radial horn recreates critical air and spaciousness.
    Performance Series 5.1/1990s L1.L5.L7/L100A
    http://adsoftheworld.com/media/tv/ac...cuses_tube_amp

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by JBLAddict View Post
    And the new M2 is $12k a pair too. It just isn't nearly as pretty and Harman wants to sell a couple Crown units to go with a pair.

The M2 uses the same 2216Nd that the S4700 uses. The M2 gives up a couple dB in efficiency though. The story goes that everyone liked the 2216Nd in the S4700 so much that they decided it was the goto driver for the new M2.

I've been told that there is nothing at all wrong with the S3900 or S4700 and the gentleman feeding me the information is highly reliable. But hey, we all hear differently and that's why there are so many different brands sold everyday.

And then there is the 1400 Array, in the same price range if I'm not mistaken. A tried and true loudspeaker system. Oh the choices! What to do! What to do!

Thread Information