Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Project Array 1400 Audition

Quote Originally Posted by JBLAddict View Post
    12K vs 44K
    I was puzzling over this and then realized you were talking about $ instead of Hz.

A shoot out would be interesting... and is bound to happen in time. We just have to sit back and wait for Dome to strike.

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post

A shoot out would be interesting... and is bound to happen in time. We just have to sit back and wait for Dome to strike.

Widget
    You know too much!
    Out.

i have done this comparison K2 vs 1400 array

K2 win in all aspects in musical terms

my 2 hz

are the 1400arrays a good bang for the buck i would say excelent

K2 win in all aspects in musical terms
    That's the thing, eh?

I've heard them both, one after the other, in a not-particularly-optimized room
    and came away with a similar impression. The K2 floated my boat in that setting.
    Others preferred the 1400 Array... others the top line Revel system.
    I've since heard the K2 system a number of times and have never been
    disappointed.

I'm sure the designers of these systems would be just as happy to hear that
    a fair number of listeners found the 1400 Array to better meet what makes a
    system a winner in musical terms, in regard to their ears/environment/listening habits.

I guess we'll all find out how the M2 fares but, even then, I think some of the appeal of JBL (for me) is it's link to professional sound. So even it is was more clinical/accurate I would tend towards them rather than the the euphonic "hi-fi" choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Valentin View Post
    i have done this comparison K2 vs 1400 arrayK2 win in all aspects in musical terms my 2 hzare the 1400arrays a good bang for the buck i would say excelent
    I guess it depends on which musical terms matter most. I think the K2 bests the Arrays in accuracy and detail resolution... it doesn't do quite as well in extension or imaging however.

Pure speculation, but I'd guess the K2 will best the M2 in resolution as well. With DSP power behind it I am sure the M2 will be stunningly accurate. How well the M2s image will be interesting. Before the 1400 Array no large JBL has floored me with their imaging ability.

Widget

Thumbs up

I guess it depends on which musical terms matter most. I think the K2 bests the Arrays in accuracy and detail resolution... it doesn't do quite as well in extension or imaging however.

Pure speculation, but I'd guess the K2 will best the M2 in resolution as well. With DSP power behind it I am sure the M2 will be stunningly accurate. How well the M2s image will be interesting. Before the 1400 Array no large JBL has floored me with their imaging ability.

Widget
    Indeed.

I am not after the image as much i am after a wide and airy soundstage
    The array 80x80 dispersion gives a very good image but the 100x60 of the k2 iteracts more with the horizontal plane and while loosing some image it gains openes and a more natural sound. I alsow find the K2 too have a beter topend it just seems efortless.

probably the M2 will have the openess with its 120x100 dispersion but will alsow have the image with this new wave guide .

in extension i think the M2 will be an excelent performer beter than the 1400array but if we where to put dsp on the K2 wow

I am not after the image as much i am after a wide and airy soundstage
    I like a mix of both. I have PTH1010 which are 100X100 and depending on the material can really throw a wide open space. They also image very well, not quite as good as the Array 1400 but very well for an SR waveguide. I would love to get my hands on the M2 waveguides and see what they are about. It's fun playing with all this stuff.

Rob
    "I could be arguing in my spare time"

Obsolete
    I just want the M2 waveguide so I can bolt a 476 on the back and place them with a 1500AL in a real nice veneered enclosure and call it all done. That's how I'd want to spend my $12,000 dollars.

Quote Originally Posted by 4313B View Post
    I just want the M2 waveguide so I can bolt a 476 on the back and place them with a 1500AL in a real nice veneered enclosure and call it all done. That's how I'd want to spend my $12,000 dollars.
    come on Giskard soon you will have the waveguides and not @ 12000, you have the meens, contacts and the nice jewley drivers to put on them and a excelent knowhow

In the other hand many will have to pay to play but thats the name of the game because we will get a key in hand system

Widget
    at the risk of sounding ignorant or misinterpreting "large JBL", I'll say I don't think I've heard better imaging than the L7; for whatever other warts it has, imaging is essentially perfect. I a/b'd them with the PS stacks this weekend for fun (not that the PS is known for good imaging) and it was no contest. Vocalists on the L7 are eerily front and center, always.
    Performance Series 5.1/1990s L1.L5.L7/L100A
    http://adsoftheworld.com/media/tv/ac...cuses_tube_amp

Quote Originally Posted by JBLAddict View Post
    at the risk of sounding ignorant or misinterpreting "large JBL", I'll say I don't think I've heard better imaging than the L7; for whatever other warts it has, imaging is essentially perfect. I a/b'd them with the PS stacks this weekend for fun (not that the PS is known for good imaging) and it was no contest. Vocalists on the L7 are eerily front and center, always.
    I'll be ignorant right along with you. I've said here before that L7 placement issues are over-blown. When I brought my first pair home I stuck them right in the middle of the living room and found you could practically walk around in the soundstage, it was that three dimensional.

I have no imaging problems with my bi-amped 4345 clones set at 30º toe-in, ten-feet apart center-to-center, with the listening-position couch nine-feet away. I can close my eyes and feel like I'm at a live performance. Isn't that what soundstage is all about?

But then maybe I've never experienced perfect imaging, and I know I've never had the opportunity to listen to the 1400 Arrays!
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

at the risk of sounding ignorant or misinterpreting "large JBL", I'll say I don't think I've heard better imaging than the L7
    The best for me were my XPL-200 clones simply uncanny.

Rob
    "I could be arguing in my spare time"

Quote Originally Posted by doodle6 View Post
    I'm about to make a run to SoCal to pick up some Array 1400s to take over duties from the 4350Bs currently in the living room, freeing up enough space that wife can begin to enjoy the fireplace again. Can any of you tell me if it would be easy/feasible to separate upper and lower components for transportation? I'm not sure whether it would be best to leave them assembled and lying down on a side, wrapped in furniture pads OR disassembled and wrapped individually. Any thoughts from those who did their own setups? Thanks.
    Super easy. JBL knows best. Separate them. You are in for a treat.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave_72 View Post
    I'd like to do a shoot out between the 1400 Arrays and my S4700s!
    My bet is on the 1400s. It's not even close. Yeah, they are that good. Goofy good. It's hard to explain. They float vocals in the room like nobody's business. Creepy good.

Thread Information