Thread: Project Array 1400 Audition

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Project Array 1400 Audition

Thanks to the efforts of David at Audio Video Experience in Hampton Falls, NH, I was finally able to hear a pair of new JBLs without hitching a plane ride to the West Coast. The conversation started this summer when I learned that they were the only JBL dealer anywhere near me, and over the course of the last few months, he was able to track down the "demo pair" from Harman and get them setup for me to hear. My hat is off to him for making this happen !

The equipment was as follows:

McIntosh MCD301 SACD/CD player, C50 preamp, 275 tube amp
    Project 5.1 TT with Goldring MM cart

The room was a very nicely finished HT demo space about 14x18. It had accoustically treated walls and ceiling and two rows of "stadium" seats. It made for a very comfortable place to spend a few hours with the 1400's.

I listened primarily to digital because the TT setup frankly didn't sound all that great and was not really up to the level of what I'm used to. It was too bright with too little bass and didn't really show the 1400's in the best light. Once the CD's got spinning though, it was pretty clear I was hearing something special.

Having spent the last 10 years with a pair of 250Ti's, I'm used to great bass - but these were clearly superior. I give quite a bit of that credit to the room, but it's clear the 1400 goes *way* down and does so with great control and poise. What it gives up (slightly) to the 250 though is "punch" in the upper regions of the bass where a lot of drum sound is. Was it the missing 108h I wasn't hearing ? Was it the tube MC275 not getting enough control on the Le14H-3 ? Hard to say for sure here.

As I listened further I became really mesmerized by the great presentation of the mids - especially vocals. From Diana Krall to Bruce Cockburn, I was just amazed by the presentation and coherency of their voices. The imaging was really nice and gave a real sense of that "in the room" sound. i then moved onto some jazz as I wanted to hear how well they could reproduce the sax. I was not disappinted here as Michael Brecker's(RIP) tenor ripped into the room with all the energy and presence of a live show.

Moving onto blues, Clapton and Robben Ford took the stage and really showed off their guitars. Here again, I could close my eyes and picture myself in a small club with the bands right in front of me. I felt I was really getting into the comfort zone of the 1400 here.

Finally it was time for some rock, so out came some of my prized MFSL gold discs like Synchronicity, Moving pictures and Breakfast in America.
    It was just stunning every time. "Tea in the Sahara" is a difficult track as Sting's vocals can fade too far into the background with many systems (250ti included), but he was not overshadowded here. All the density and complexity Supertramp's signature album was presented clearly and frankly was about the best I've ever heard it. And who can resist a good chance to play air drums along with Mr. Peart on "Tom Sawyer" - certainly not me :-).

I wrapped up with my new favorite "rock the house" track - Zeppelin's "No Quarter" covered by Maktub, It's a masterpiece and I just sat there slackjawed.

In conclusion and comparison to my 250's, these are clearly a new generation. All the things you'd expect of a horn-based design like dynamics are here in spades. And with the latest LE14 holding down the bass duties, the low end is a solid as ever. I was occasionally aware of some "horn sound", but it was no Klipsch in this regard. It was subtle and only got my attention a few times. I felt the tweeter didn't quite have as many paints in its sonic palette as the 044Ti, but that could be electronics and room (or both) playing into this too.

Overall it was a very enjoyable afternoon. I look forward to these coming onto the used market in the coming years.

jblnut

thanx for the writeup ...your opinion on speakers does carry some weight around here.

from reading it , I get that the 1400 is better than 250's in many ways, but in some others the 250 has an advantage ....concluding that the array is superior ( should be considering the cost and advancements over the years ....I'd be surprised if they weren't better.)

so being a person without an unlimited budget , I have to ask ...

" which is the better value for benefit received" ?? ie: BANG FOR THE BUCK

a really nice set of 250's is generally less than $2k ...my guess is that the 1400's are at least $5-6k (just a guess) ...are they 3x as good or incrementally better ? when you do jump for the arrays, what other components are going to need upgrading to keep up ?
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

There's a new-in-box (although scratched) pair on eBay right now for $7800/obo. I believe the used pair I passed up three-years ago were something under $4000. I think the 4345s worked out better for me since I'd not be able to put my Christmas decorations or TV on the 1400s.

I might still own a pair of 1400s some day. I'd like to be able to compare them all, if I live that long. I can envision 20-years from now we'll be holding a Mid-Atlantic Shootout pitting the 1400 Array against the DD6600
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

These are $12k/pair new, and that's the main reason I'm going to have to wait for them to age a bit. Clearly the 250Ti holds the bang/buck title, but it's important to realize that they will never be able to do some of the things that the 1400 can do. There's a coherency and immediacy to the sound that the 250 will just never have because it is not using a state of the art horn driver.

As happens many times though (when I hear other systems), I was glad to be home afterwards in my own listening room. There's a reason the 250's are still here...they just do so many things right.

jblnut

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    thanx for the writeup ...your opinion on speakers does carry some weight around here.

from reading it , I get that the 1400 is better than 250's in many ways, but in some others the 250 has an advantage ....concluding that the array is superior ( should be considering the cost and advancements over the years ....I'd be surprised if they weren't better.)

so being a person without an unlimited budget , I have to ask ...

" which is the better value for benefit received" ?? ie: BANG FOR THE BUCK

a really nice set of 250's is generally less than $2k ...my guess is that the 1400's are at least $5-6k (just a guess) ...are they 3x as good or incrementally better ? when you do jump for the arrays, what other components are going to need upgrading to keep up ?

Thanks for the thorough review. Based on my experience I think you have summed it up well. I do think you may have heard slightly better bass had the 1400s been coupled to a different amp, but I can't say that with certainty.

Waiting 10-20 years for the 1400s or DD66000s to be available at reduced prices is certainly a viable alternative for some, but I fear my hearing might not last that long... fingers crossed I'll be listening and enjoying music for decades more, but for so many of us as we age our ability to fully enjoy this hobby does diminish with time.

For the DIYers out there, there is the SAMHF/LE14H-3 option that a small number have pursued for the 1400 Arrays. It certainly saves a bundle, but not everyone has the time or inclination.

Widget

Sage advice as always Widget

My own hearing is just starting to lose that ultra-high end sparkle in my left ear, so I know exactly what you are saying. Still, it doesn't dampen my enthusiasm any, and it may finally put some of my audiophile aspirations and dalliances to bed. Which helps keep money in he bank and the wife happy.

I asked them to use a MC275 as I own one myself - it helps to reduce variables when comparing gear. The bass was acutally spectacular with this setup and it was way more powerful than I expected of a 75w tube amp. What was missing (to me) was the upper bass/lower mid. I find this missing on many speakers and I think it's probably because I have gotten so used to the sound of JBL 4-ways. Nothing else covers that octave quite the same.

I've heard a lot of newer speakers lately (Spendor and Sonus Faber to name two) and it's clear there are some *really* nice sounding units on the market. I am glad that JBL can still hang in the race, and actually set the pace for certain things.

jblnut

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by jblnut View Post
    What was missing (to me) was the upper bass/lower mid. I find this missing on many speakers and I think it's probably because I have gotten so used to the sound of JBL 4-ways. Nothing else covers that octave quite the same.
    Consider the placement of the LE14H in relation to the floor and your ears. Couple that with the fact that the LE14H doesn't have the hallmark JBL sound (rising response, forward presence). It's a pretty flat transducer. It really doesn't stand a chance against something like a 108H through the midrange. It is an old school, sixties era, rock solid low frequency transducer with a very stiff, heavy cone designed to move air with minimal flexing, basically a cone shaped piece of concrete.

As for the bottom end, while the 1400 Array doesn't have the extension of the 250Ti, it does have the lowest extension of any JBL system over the past ten or twelve years.

Quick and Dirty tip:
    Run your 250Ti's through a band saw between the 108H and 104H, cover the resulting hole in the top with a piece of plywood and sit a SAM1HF on top.

What was missing (to me) was the upper bass/lower mid. I find this missing on many speakers and I think it's probably because I have gotten so used to the sound of JBL 4-ways. Nothing else covers that octave quite the same.

jblnut
    this is/was the one blatantly clear difference when I moved from L7 to PT800/PS1400, though both are 4 way? There's an upper bass component on the L7 that is just absent on the PS. Since I never did any measurements, I just assumed the I was hearing the PS's documented flat response vs. the L7s known difficulties with placement and balance, though my L7s were placed in near perfect position. There are still rock pieces where that range dominates and the difference is glaring and I just don't "feel it" like I did
    Performance Series 5.1/1990s L1.L5.L7/L100A
    http://adsoftheworld.com/media/tv/ac...cuses_tube_amp

There's a coherency and immediacy to the sound that the 250 will just never have because it is not using a state of the art horn driver.
    Or any horn at all, for that matter?
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    Or any horn at all, for that matter?
    Not sure what others think, but I certainly wouldn't say that all horn systems are particularly coherent... they are frequently dynamic, exciting, etc... I would say few horn systems are particularly coherent.

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    Not sure what others think, but I certainly wouldn't say that all horn systems are particularly coherent... they are frequently dynamic, exciting, etc... I would say few horn systems are particularly coherent.
    Granted though, in this company, I suppose I was implying compared to some our "iconic" horn systems members have here. I can grock that the latest are/should be the greatest and that's why I'd love to someday be able to make just that comparison in my own home!

Happy New Year to all . . . and to all a good horn!

Thread Information