Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Dad’s DIY Paragons make the move…

Sorry if I offended someone. t was not my intension. I just wanted to point out that the design is very different than the original made by JBL. I am sure the owner (and builder) made a great effort building it, and that the sound can be very good.

Again, sorry if my comment was improper.

Rolf

No worries here..

Thank rolf. It did need to be said. I've seen many people try to sell many weird things here over the last 6 years

Dad's effort of building them is not nearly as great as the effort of lifting up the finished product and moving them! Dad just restores antique cars in his retirement; he can take apart a car to the frame, put all the parts in an unlabeled mound, and put it all back together without a leftover screw... It's mind-boggling!

But if you're asking if the sound is ... 'very good' ?? .... haha. IDK... I suppose they sound like any other 2-way paragon"s" ??!!?

We obviously like it LOUD ... and these speakers do perform! My favorite (of dad's music) was Rossini's William Tell Overture and Tchaikovsky's 1812. You owe it to yourselves to listen to these on the Paragon, Metregon, or and folded-horn speaker you can get near. For us, the order of Exodus out of the room, proportional to the volume, was the pets, followed by the kids, followed by the wife, till just the guy with the volume control remains. It is a phenomenal experience. These types of speakers in my humble opinion excel for classical music, symphonies, timpani drums, and many of the larger wind instruments.

However..... you're a crook to yourself if you have folded horn speakers and have NOT played organ music at FULL volume through them. The sound is near perfect reproduction of the original work, it sounds as if you're actually INSIDE the organ itself, or perhaps it inside you, the experience is beyond surreal at >100 decibels. The Bach Organ Toccata is perhaps the most popular. I just downloaded an 18 disc set of Bach... really need to get some brake fluid now!

There are better pics coming.... it'll take me a few weeks to get back to his house.

Maron Horonzakz
    DAMAN,,,Yes an "Industrial Pro version" was offered from JBL,,,I have only seen one,,(in black) It didnt have any woofers or drivers or mid horns installed or carved legs in front yet,, It was supposed to be used behind a cinema screen,, That was in St Louis,,,The last I saw of it was in Tavern/cocktail lounge in GasLight Square in MidTown StL,, Someone painted Flowers and other designs all over it,,Back in the Hippy era,,,,, They did that to a BOZAK CONCERT GRAND too.. "Cretin Bastards"

I Have the Industrial Version Paragon

JBL did build the industrial variant Paragon.I have heard of a second one that was destroyed years ago. But mines all original

Follow the links for pictures.

Oldmics

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...strial+variant

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...strial+variant

You are all awesome!

Oldmics - Very Nice! I love looking at all the stuff in the background of JBL collector's pics. Your mics are a nice touch. I love thinking about, and seeing your, "cradle to the wave" approach! From the microphone cradle (the first electromagnetic device capturing the sound) to the wave (the final electromagnetic device reproducing the sound). Just fantastic!

This the right brake fluid for lansaloy?

So I just pour one full canister into each woofer cone and let it impregnate overnite to get the sensation???
    Name:  IMAG1317 (Large).jpg
Views: 1771
Size:  103.4 KB
    Just kidding! It was a buy-one-get-one-free deal and the hand cleaner was only a dollar.

So if thats the right fluid I then just follow these instructions...?

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...14A-and-others

To help prove BMWCCA's (2009) comment .... here's a pic of dad taking a break restoring his Model T Name:  SCAN0131 (Large).JPG
Views: 1737
Size:  61.6 KB

So I just pour one full canister into each woofer cone and let it impregnate overnite to get the sensation???

Just kidding! It was a buy-one-get-one-free deal and the hand cleaner was only a dollar.

So if thats the right fluid I then just follow these instructions...?

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...14A-and-others

To help prove BMWCCA's (2009) comment .... here's a pic of dad taking a break restoring his Model T

Yep,just follow those directions.

If Dads anything like me and lives in a cold weather area-get him a set of coveralls that he can wreck while restoring his machine.

I got two pairs to rotate while I do my T Birds.Certainly saves me ruining my jeans.

Oldmics

That was his first restoration job, pic must be 35 years old and from Baltimore. Our garage had kerosene heaters that looked & sounded like jet engines... today in Houston he only needs a window-mounted a/c unit in the garage.

What are your Tbirds? I've sold my '84 and '97 but still have the '65. Oh man I miss the JBL's in that '97! Only an AM radio and a mono speaker fit in the 65.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks for accepting my apologies. I love the Paragon, witch I had before. BUT the seller wants US$ 4000,00 for it to much for me. My 4343-b's sound much better. Do you know anybody that will pay more money to get them? maybe in the Japanese. ???

Rolf

Yikes!

Is this white powdery residue normal? I read somewhere by Zilch (RIP) that normal oxidation occurs but it was in reference to midranges I think. Is there a risk of this powder getting into the voice coil if not thoroughly cleaned ?? Thx!
    (sorry Rolf I only know a pseudo-paragon builder ... not any buyers & sellers)

Name:  IMAG1321.jpg
Views: 1407
Size:  78.8 KB

Its probably zinc oxide. But I'm not certain of that.

Nick

It had about the consistency of the first layer of a piece of drywall (chaulky-dusty-paper-like) which is why I worried about transpiration somehow into the coil. I thought I remembered it being signifying paper wrapped around an apparent slight recess in the basket. Well it vacuumed right off anyways and carefully from both woofers (Was a little too conservative with the brake fluid on the convex side of the surrounds ... but they are loosening.) Some more pics going into the chamber from the rear of the speakers. Lookin' inside at the plywood wow they had some really nice patterns in those days!!

Name:  IMG_1510 (Large).jpg
Views: 1417
Size:  124.5 KB

Looks like painting might have been an afterthought experience...

Name:  IMG_1514 (Large).jpg
Views: 1396
Size:  55.4 KB

oh baby

Name:  IMG_1515 (Large).jpg
Views: 1386
Size:  109.0 KB

holy moses!

Name:  IMG_1517 (Large).jpg
Views: 1370
Size:  107.6 KB

look at 'em curves! whoa

Name:  IMG_1518 (Large).jpg
Views: 1313
Size:  69.7 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Rolf View Post
    Thanks for accepting my apologies. I love the Paragon, witch I had before. BUT the seller wants US$ 4000,00 for it to much for me. My 4343-b's sound much better. Do you know anybody that will pay more money to get them? maybe in the Japanese. ???

Rolf
    Japan has been stagnant for a while ...China or VietNam or Korea is where the money is (outside of the Middle East)

we just watched a DVD called "The bridges & hiways of VietNam" ...incredible buildings, 6 lane hiways, super bridges, (they've even bridged the Mekong River now) ... lot of money flowing in (or lots of loans ? ) ....don't think much filters down to the man in the street yet, but lots of the noveau riche are trying to buy social acceptance ... (JBL's and Bose are in high demand there)
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Maybe off topic, but I have the opportunity to buy a paragon here in Norway. He ask for $US3300. I think this is to much. What is the price for a Paragon in the US? The drivers have never been re-coned, so I guess this also must be re-coned. The Paragon is from the 7'tis. What do you think?

Rolf

$3300 USD? perhaps you dropped a zero?

Thread Information