Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Dad’s DIY Paragons make the move…

Quote Originally Posted by grumpy View Post
    $3300 USD? perhaps you dropped a zero?

Or a couple of zeros:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/JBL-PARAGON-...-/121044099707
    Show us what ya got: Homebuilt Hi-Fi

Quote Originally Posted by grumpy View Post
    $3300 USD? perhaps you dropped a zero?
    Yes I think I did. 200.000 NKR should be US$ 33.333,00

Rolf

I'm not sure Rolf... but $33,333 USD sounds like its more about the money than the music...??

For that kind of money, you could buy a house in Detroit and replace all the walls with other JBL speakers...

Sound good, but I have trouble to get a Green Card. Have been working to move to the USA for about one year now. No luck so far.

Rolf

Quote Originally Posted by DanMan View Post
    I'm not sure Rolf... but $33,333 USD sounds like its more about the money than the music...??

For that kind of money, you could buy a house in Detroit and replace all the walls with other JBL speakers...

I remember now another reason I LOVE these speakers!

So I finally got the lansoloy loosened up... took 3 coats of brake fluid! (which I don't recommend that much, it was probably too much, but these woofers haven't been 'out of their boxes' in 40-some years!)

I think I finally got pseudo good placement for them in the listening room. Some pics attached. Sadly the dynakit tube amps we used to run in mono and revitalized a few years back gave out, 1 gave out, the other has plenty of distortion above 90 db.

So I revitalized a 20 yr old Yamaha receiver that was in my garage from an old friend. It's 70 wpc.

Test CD was Barry Adamson - As Above So Below. Its a great CD... plenty of dynamic range, well recorded, great engineering, just an awesome CD.

I had my semi-decent lcd decibel meter out, and was takin some measurements. I was comfortably listening to about 115 db at about 3 or 4 feet away.. as the song (forgot which one) was ending I got up to measure the spl at about 1 foot away from the speaker.... but nearly all the songs on the album end in a loud crescendo... and the volume knob was about a second away in trotting distance .... as I got closer to the speaker the spl started increasing until the meter was PEGGED... PEGGED I tell ya... at 130 DECIBELS for about a full second!! Judging from the 10 db increment prior to that, I'd estimate it was about 135 decibels a foot from the front face of the 'paragons'. Just WOW! There was quite a bit of distortion tho... as its only a 70wpc receiver. But it was an amazing experience, my ears were ringing for a few minutes after that!

So, couple questions for y'all....

1) what sensitivity should I be expecting outta these speakers? (1 watt @ 1 meter)? They seem to be between my L100T at 92 and the 4655's I'm running in the back as "quad sound" at 100 db. (I don't know how to generate exactly 1 watt)

2) what sort of power (wpc) would be suitable for these speakers? (the old yamaha receiver is rather bunk, most of the knobs are worn out beyond deoxit I think) Ideally I like to match the speaker's Max Power Handling to the amp's RMS numbers, but with JBL, I can't always afford that kinda power

I'd like to keep the 4655's in the rear but not sure how to accommodate the difference in sensitivity between them without separate volume knobs?!??

Much obliged y'all! I'm finally back in Houston, found tons more pics and will look through old slides in the coming days for more pics. Thx, Dan.

some pics...

The original dynakit amps that dad bought from the hifi shop along with the components for the 'paragons'. All new russian tubes sadly this configuration didn't work out. Blew one of the tubes, then it started blowing the fuses.

Name:  IMG_1556.jpg
Views: 1542
Size:  105.9 KB

Picture holding the camera at the ceiling

Name:  IMG_1562.jpg
Views: 1603
Size:  102.3 KB

Rear speakers 4655's that I got on craigslist for $100. A really cool guy gave them to his daughter for her college dorm, bet she was popular<!>, and she didn't need them anymore after graduation. They are really super loud

Name:  IMG_1593.jpg
Views: 1486
Size:  98.0 KB

Maron Horonzakz
    Well glad your enjoying the speakers,,,,BUT,,Kranking up the volume is not what music is about,,Your young,,I,m VERY old,,Those Dynakits can be rebuilt and would last another 40 years,,,If you blow those JBL mid drivers ,,Than your fucked,,,A pair of used 375 hf units will cost $2000. on EBAY..But your Young and adventurous,,Have fun though,,, Maron

135 db was a huge mistake Maron

135 db was a huge mistake Maron I assure ya

I'm an old guy in young guy's shoes. But my dad taught me how to ascertain THD when I was ~10 years old. Oddly back then, I could hear about .1 % THD .... moreso than I could determine if the polarity was correct! Took me a long time to hear polarity for some reason, my brain operates a little different than most I think, but THD and just regular distortion I can hear a mile away.

But you're right, I'm really lucky I didn't blow anything mechanically, electrically, or biologically ! (I must admit I do like gettin fucked, but only in the good ways ;-)

Don't give up on the amps! They obviously need be recapped! Don't give up on them yet!

Wait, what? LOL.

Does "recapped" just mean changing the capacitors?????

Oh man we could do that easy!?. I was victim of the "Capacitor Plague" of the first decade of the y2k on all my LCD monitors

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capacitor_plague

The fix was easy, dad and I drove downtown Houston bought a few dozen capacitors, opened up all my monitors resoldered the caps, and viola, they're still working today.

So just change the caps on those babies? Can you send some links on some details for this?

Much obliged,
    Dan.

PS-Scanned some more old photos the last few days back here in Houston. Sadly we think dad has a brain tumor or growth, as if our brains could get any bigger hah, so we go in Tuesday for that. Still need to delve into the slides. Will upload pics this weekend. Audio cheers and beers ya'll.!

build pics

Think I might've been born in this speaker!

Name:  paragon2a.jpg
Views: 1385
Size:  96.5 KB

Oh the things you'll create in a basement!

Name:  paragon2b.jpg
Views: 1390
Size:  120.3 KB

Check out that funky stool R2D2 was our shop vac

Name:  paragon2c.jpg
Views: 1277
Size:  141.7 KB

A suit? Um no that was my brother!

Name:  paragon3a.jpg
Views: 1258
Size:  95.3 KB

Say hi to proud dad.

Name:  paragon3b.jpg
Views: 1190
Size:  117.3 KB

I can't stop staring there

Name:  paragon3d.jpg
Views: 1272
Size:  119.7 KB

Boys and their toys

Name:  paragon4a.jpg
Views: 1165
Size:  98.3 KB

Sweater Break

Name:  paragon4b.jpg
Views: 1259
Size:  101.6 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Maron Horonzakz
    Those Pics should be enlarged and framed in your listening room,,They are great. Thanks for shareing..

some more speaker pics for y'all

Is that a "Compact Disc" for me on my birthday?? (1973 - musta been Dark Side Of The Moon)

ATTACH]58227[/ATTACH]

I wear my dunce hat on the inside ;p
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Fantastic Idea!!

Quote Originally Posted by Maron Horonzakz View Post
    Those Pics should be enlarged and framed in your listening room,,They are great.

Thread Information