Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Dad’s DIY Paragons make the move…

When I get back from vacation, I'll look in my stash - I may have a single L1 you can have for cheap (my dad used to use one for a center when he had L7's).

I don't think rotating the horn is going to get you anything unless you also make the speakers a three way and add a tweeter that does not reflect off the baffle, as the Paragon had. I will leave it to those who own Paragons to argue whether the curved baffle/midrange reflection trick requires the old "Ping Pong Stereo" recordings from the old days or if it still is valid with modern recordings.

I'm glad you could set your dad up with something good - My father got the same S7 load when he was in college and built several enclosures for them over the years. When the Lansalloy surrounds dried up, he stopped listening to them, so I got him L7's, then 250Ti's and took his old drivers, which have been reconed and put in L200 Enclosures. They are now doing shop audio duty for me, as he made me promise never to get rid of them. I guess that means they get buried with me
    That the internet contains a blog documenting your life does not constitute proof that your existence is valid. Sorry.

This is NOT a Paragon.

Rolf

Quote Originally Posted by DanMan View Post
    I can't find the pics from the first house. I was trying to picture teenage girls moreso in those days

They were designed into a sort-of horn enclosure in the basement, it basically extended under the staircase; which barely fit the tv, the paragons and some equipment. Most of my pics were pointed the other direction towards the pull out couch and the girls in their pj's. I'm headed back to Houston and will scour for pics to scan from those days and during construction.

Dad bro & me all taking a construction break, some of us just napping apparently.

Attachment 57759

This was after their 80's styled upgrades, restain, and new room for them.

Attachment 57760

(Left)

Attachment 57761

(Right)

Attachment 57762

The bottom trim is a skirt which conceals the awesome (1970's-grade) 6" casters. You can push these speakers around on the carpet with a finger or two.

Attachment 57763

Quote Originally Posted by Rolf View Post
    This is NOT a Paragon.

Rolf
    http://www.audioheritage.org/images/...ts/section.jpg
    http://www.audioheritage.org/html/pr...bl/paragon.htm

regards
    ivica

This is NOT a Paragon.
    Everyone understands that and yet we are still intrigued by the industrious ingenuity of the builder and his progeny's continuing affair with his creation. Nothing beats fond memories of our earlier generations, especially while they're still around to see us enjoying their efforts.
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

This is NOT a Paragon.

Rolf
    granted ..so call it a PIJBLDCS" (paragon inspired JBL driven custom system) or Paragonish or even just Paragon ... who cares ? it the heritage and inspiration and bond between generations that matter, not a name.
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    granted ..so call it a PIJBLDCS" (paragon inspired JBL driven custom system) or Paragonish or even just Paragon ... who cares ? it the heritage and inspiration and bond between generations that matter, not a name.

Absolutely... technically it may not be an exact clone of a Paragon, but who cares... it is an heirloom and absolutely Lansing Heritage!

Widget

This is NOT a Paragon.

Rolf
    The thread clearly state's: Dad's DIY Paragons. Nothing DIY can truly be sold as the real thing. The story and pics are the real gem here.

Maron Horonzakz
    I,m always interested to see variations on Paragon design,,This one has posibilities of continuating driver upgrades.

Another Variation on Paragon Design

Quote Originally Posted by Maron Horonzakz View Post
    I,m always interested to see variations on Paragon design,,This one has posibilities of continuating driver upgrades.
    http://vacuumbibles.blogspot.de/2010/11/blog-post.html

ruediger

Quote Originally Posted by Earl K View Post

That is sweet!!!

These are not a Paragon

Hi. Well yeah, sorry, thought I had titled the thread appropriately with "DIY Paragons" ... but not many have accused me of being 'appropriate', and now I don't even know how to change it ;-)

But yes, I suppose it does need to be stated clearly, in case anyone thinks I'm here for profit: "THESE ARE NOT JBL PARAGON."

Furthermore, the Paragon instructions clearly states the results of the project may not be for "resale or commercial use", so its really a moot point, and with loud implications.

But hey "I'm just here to read the articles" okay I admit it, I look at and share pics too.

I have a question about the JBL Paragon "Industrial Variant" from a pic on this website: it appears as if that variant version is also split into a L+R pair. Is this just an "artists conception" image or were a 'pair' of the Paragon ever built by JBL or anyone?

http://www.audioheritage.org/images/...industrial.jpg

(Dad says he has more pics from construction on slides so we'll do some scanning next time I'm there and upload. Is there truly a 5 image limit/post here?)

HCSGuy: yes much obliged on the L1 offer for his new center for cheap. A single and cheap JBL speaker is good and hard to find!
    Last edited by DanMan; 01-02-2013 at 02:29 PM. Reason: added link to the industrial paragon

My schedule changed a little, and I won't be back in town until Jan 7th - sorry for the delay, but I'll check on the single L1 then. I'm almost sure I've got one, but I don't remember the condition.
    That the internet contains a blog documenting your life does not constitute proof that your existence is valid. Sorry.

Made My Day

This post made my day. What a beautiful photo of Dad and his boys. I am an older dad with two young sons. When I go home tonight I am going to take some photos with some of my speakers, me and my boys. I think my speakers will out live me. I hope they also fondly remember dad and his hifi hobby.
    Last edited by 4345; 01-02-2013 at 06:27 AM. Reason: typo

Truly a wonderful picture there Dan .

Gets my vote for the best ( LHF ) build pic of 2012 !

PS ; I would certainly like to see more of those .

Thread Information