Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: JBL L150 speaker help

mrbluster

ME120HS L150

Hello, Earl,

Thanks for all of your suggestions. I do have a Mac.

Would you or Giskard be able to provide me with port dimensions if I were to put two of these woofers in my L150 cabinets as Giskard suggested.
    (tuned around 30-32 Hz).

I don't know the volume of these cabinets. Perhaps you do? I know they are a lot bigger than the two cubic foot example you sent me.

Again, thanks for all of your useful input. I appreciate it.

Regards,

mrbluster

L150 Volume

Hi

- I believe on the first page of this thread, Rob states that the volume of the L150 is @ 3.97 cu'.

- A ME120h in 2 cu' can achieve a 31hz tuning with a 4" round port @ 14.7" long . ( this port length varies slightly with the software program used )

<> Earl K

mrbluster
    Thanks to Earl and Giskard for your patience. I realize I am all over the place with this project. Let me throw this out. I can restore the L150 with an original 128 and passive unit, or I can use one or more ME120HS drivers as per the previous discussion. I am hoping to tap into you expertise, to avoid experimental "improvements" that ultimately will disappoint. (Such as the many attemps to re-engineer the L65) I realize that some things must be tried in the "real world" to determine there worth or downside, but with the benefit of your years of experience, perhaps I can be directed to put my energy into the most rewarding direction.

Sincerely,
    Mrbluster

mrbluster
    Black faced, think it is an L150 with 033 HF.

mrbluster
    With the ME120HS, (I assume you mean two) how would I wire them?
    Mrbluster

mrbluster
    Perhaps you are talking about a single with the original Passive?

RIP 2009
    If you recently picked up those empty cabinets off eBay, I believe they were the L150A version, which would mean the crossover is tuned to the 044 HF.

John

mrbluster
    RE: Twin ME120HS I am also assuming I will then need an appropriate port? Or could it work sealed?

mrbluster
    Thanks, will get back to you when I have something to report. In the meantime If you or anyone else could come-up with the port configuration I would be grateful. If there is potential in this upgrade, I would like to know that I have all the basic info to move forward. My guess is that ME120HS would not be suited to a sealed cabinet.
    Regards,
    Mrbluster

mrbluster
    Point well taken!
    Much thanks, Giskard .
    I'm out of here as well.

Mrbluster

RIP 2009
    One quick question before you guys bail - are those frames basically the same size as the LE14 series, (with the squared-off baskets), or some other variation that fits in a 12" speaker cutout?

John

I hate it when you guys delete part of a thread before I have read it, nothing makes sense.
    The speakers shown on the last page look nothing like LE-14s from the back.

Port Size

If those parameters are right, and assuming I entered them correctly, WinISD says two ME120HS in 3.97 cu.ft. box tuned to 32 Hz. wants one 4" port 5.31" long.

It's down 3 dB at 60 Hz, and down 9 dB at 30 Hz, the "knee" occuring just under 40 Hz.

Two of them in a closed box that size are down 3 dB at 95 Hz, and down 9 dB at 45 Hz, not good.

"Optimally flat," a single driver wants a 1 cu.ft. box tuned to 47 Hz. Two drivers want 2.137 cu.ft. tuned the same. Note: WinISD also generates impractical results for Sub1500.

A major problem with the proposed scheme is that, wired either in series or parallel, two of these are not going to match the stock network impedance.

I don't know what's up with this thread, either. Looks like some good stuff got deleted, alas....
    Last edited by Zilch; 10-08-2004 at 10:10 AM.

Hi John

or some other variation that fits in a 12" speaker cutout?
    The LE120h is a different woofer from the pictured Me120h . Paragon posted the necessary pictures of one of his LE120h(s) to arrive at that conclusion. Different magnetic assemblies and different gap depth.

The LE120h ( should ) be an evolution to the 128h or 2214h - maybe 2213h . It might be a nice 12" "Project" speaker for the DIYer. Unfortunately, without a JBL published response curve and some Ts parameters - that's still conjecture .

Don / Zilch ;
    Re; deleted posts

- Sometimes others wish they just hadn't got involved.
    - Myself, I just stop talking, others are more proactive .
    - The deletion time-limit of 24hr, gives a form of ownership to the poster that I support .
    - People forget they don't "own the library book".

<. Earl K
    Last edited by Earl K; 10-08-2004 at 04:57 AM.

paragon

LE 120H

LE 120H
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thread Information