Thread: MA-15 torque spec

MA-15 torque spec

Does one even exist? While replacing the stock 1/4-20 bolts with some nice Hex bolts I had on hand, this thought came to mind, no, seriously

I do alot of mods and maintenance on my cars and I can`t stress the importance of proper torque and pattern sequencing of fasteners enough. Think about it, over tightening can potentially strip the Philips head, distort the driver basket and/or the clamp itself not to mention digging the T nut deeper into the baffle.
    I`ve used the universal German setting of Guttenteit in the meantime

Then again, I`m probably over-analyzing....
    Name:  MA 15.jpg
Views: 1036
Size:  64.3 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Mike F View Post
    Then again, I`m probably over-analyzing....
    Name:  MA 15.jpg
Views: 1036
Size:  64.3 KB
    Probably!

I recently had a similar problem, so I know what you mean.

I just avoid the screw gun on these jobs, you won't over tighten/overwork it if you use a good ol' screwdriver, and keep in mind the claw-flaw while you are working. I lubed mine before putting them back together recently since they were really cheap feeling and not turning smoothly.

Considering that you will be torquing into a soft material (wood), then torque value will be of limited use. Just use common sense. Among other things, I build racecars and racing components. Honestly, except for a few specific items like wheels, motor head, cam caps, crankshaft caps often using torque and angle, the use of a torque wrench is way overrated. For anything else, a real mechanic "knows" when to stop torquing...

I agree with Lee. Snug them so they don't vibrate and, if you want, go back and check tightness regularly. If you can damage a quarter-inch bolt into a speed-nut without crushing the particle-board that's in-between, you probably cross-threaded rather than over-torqued. Always start the bolts by hand to make sure. Nothing wrong with using a drill motor here (my 4345 use many more bolts than yours), just dial down the clutch's torque setting.

After four-decades of practice I know how tight a spark plug should be in an aluminum cylinder head. I still use a torque wrench when there is one available but I know by feel what's right and what's wrong. I call it my click-stop elbow. Guttenteit can be too much of a good thing. We're not talking about lug bolts here. It sounds like you have the right idea.
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Maron Horonzakz
    Are those MA-15 Still available ??? Does JBL still have them in stock,,and at what stock number ??? I need about 16 of them..

Quote Originally Posted by Maron Horonzakz View Post
    Are those MA-15 Still available ??? Does JBL still have them in stock,,and at what stock number ??? I need about 16 of them..
    I bought many, many new sets off eBay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/JBL-MA15-Spe...item48385599b6
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thread Information