Thread: Ravi Shankar dies at 92

Ravi Shankar dies at 92

Ravi Shankar, Sitarist Who Introduced Indian Music to the West, Dies at 92

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/13/ar...anted=all&_r=0

wow, I did NOT know ,,,

Ravi Shankar's elder daughter Norah Jones released her third and most personal album, "Not too Late" on the 30th of January, 2007.
    "From the first note, Norah's voice is like liquid gold and she touches your heart and soul instantly. I am very proud of her" - Ravi Shankar.

saw Ravi in concert ....in either '68 or '69 , somewhere in the SF bay area , got pictures from just in front of the stage ... mebbe can find.

here is one from a different thread

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...l=1#post139570
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Sad that he's gone--he brought Indian music to a whole new audience in North and South America, Europe, etc. I remember hearing his music for the first time on George Harrison's Concert For Bangladesh album back in the early 70's and thinking how cool it was. Nice that you had a chance to see one of his concerts....
    Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    Ravi Shankar, Sitarist Who Introduced Indian Music to the West, Dies at 92

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/13/ar...anted=all&_r=0

wow, I did NOT know

Ravi Shankar's elder daughter Norah Jones released her third and most personal album, "Not too Late" on the 30th of January, 2007. All the 13 songs were either written or co-written by Norah herself and produced by Lee Alexander.
    "From the first note, Norah's voice is like liquid gold and she touches your heart and soul instantly. I am very proud of her" - Ravi Shankar.

saw Ravi in concert ....in either '68 or '69 , somewhere in the SF bay area , got pictures from just in front of the stage ... mebbe can find.

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...l=1#post139570

Quote Originally Posted by voice of theatr View Post
    Sad that he's gone--he brought Indian music to a whole new audience in North and South America, Europe, etc. I remember hearing his music for the first time on George Harrison's Concert For Bangladesh album back in the early 70's and thinking how cool it was. Nice that you had a chance to see one of his concerts....
    I was in school at Monterey from June '68 to May '69 (The Presidio) , so it had to be in that time period ... one guy in school had a car and we'd always pack in to go see localish concerts ... Saw CCR, Animals, Canned Heat , Ravi, Joni Mitchell that way ... Ahh, my Canoe Club buds took good care of me .. anyway...

That was my first exposure to sitar ... then I was in a bizarro universe till '72 , but when I returned ... found a joke Xmas present that my aunt had given to my father ( a real TJ Brass/Perry Como guy) ..it was Ravi's "West meets East" LP... he never opened it and gladly gave it to me ....I could really drive him wild with it, and it sure got me hooked on the sound.

Toyed with the idea of purchasing and learning to play sitar , but no money or musical talent and bills to play kinda torpedoed that ...I still really enjoy some of his ragas...

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    wow, I did NOT know ,,,

Ravi Shankar's elder daughter Norah Jones
    I'm surprised you were not aware!
    I get my Pop fix with Norah and have enjoyed her in concert twice.
    She's quite a talent and has a great voice. Pretty decent production values on her album Not Too Late.
    The Fall isn't too bad and her latest, Little Broken Hearts, has its moments, too!
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

rainy day, cleaning hard drive

found this long forgotten pic of Ravi that I shot 68/69
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thread Information