Recently I got a THX video calibration for my new projector. It was way too complex for me to want to deal with it, especially without the correct, expensive equipment, and grumpy came over to watch the process (as well as implement GT's advice on the PT250s). I was pleased with the improvement on the picture quality, and I even got a nice acrylic THX Video Calibration plaque to go with it.

Even better, I got the thumbs up watching The Dark Knight Rises with the Ms. who volunteered, "The picture looks amazing!" Unsolicited, that's high praise.

Fast forward to yesterday, and a couple of my co-workers brought over the Bluray of Led Zeppelin's Celebration Day concert from 2007. I'd already heard the impressive stereo two-disc CD set and had no inkling that I wanted another concert on Bluray (or DVD for that matter). Concert videos usually disappoint me.

But not this time.

My gosh, what a blistering set from start to finish! These old geezers (Plant, Page, Jones) and Jason Bonham really came to play.

I've seen some quibbling online about the video presentation, mostly a to-do over the director's quick-cutting style. I rather enjoyed it that way, and the quality of the video is outstanding even if one doesn't like the editing.

However there is little to quibble about with regard to the music. It's simply monumental. I clapped after almost every song. Yes, I clapped at a five-year-old video. The Two Jims Theatre never sounded better: the drums pounded my chest, the kick drum thumped out of those four 2242 drivers with unbelievable authority, the bass line was stunning without being bloated, the guitar work was impressively powerful without grating or shrieking, and the vocals were as clear and easy to hear as if Plant were in the room and as articulate as he ever gets. In fact I understood a few of the lyrics for the first time. The 5.1 DTS Master Audio was terrific.

I stopped at -10 on the volume control, but easily could have gone to 0 or beyond. Everything was clean and effortless. Nevertheless, I've got to ration my hearing to last a good while longer, so...

Now I'm going to have to break down and buy the darn Bluray to add with Jeff Beck's live set tour de force at Ronnie Scott's.

There is life after 50, and these old guys are daring you not to like this monumental performance.