Thread: Led Zeppelin: Celebration Day

Led Zeppelin: Celebration Day

Recently I got a THX video calibration for my new projector. It was way too complex for me to want to deal with it, especially without the correct, expensive equipment, and grumpy came over to watch the process (as well as implement GT's advice on the PT250s). I was pleased with the improvement on the picture quality, and I even got a nice acrylic THX Video Calibration plaque to go with it.

Even better, I got the thumbs up watching The Dark Knight Rises with the Ms. who volunteered, "The picture looks amazing!" Unsolicited, that's high praise.

Fast forward to yesterday, and a couple of my co-workers brought over the Bluray of Led Zeppelin's Celebration Day concert from 2007. I'd already heard the impressive stereo two-disc CD set and had no inkling that I wanted another concert on Bluray (or DVD for that matter). Concert videos usually disappoint me.

But not this time.

My gosh, what a blistering set from start to finish! These old geezers (Plant, Page, Jones) and Jason Bonham really came to play.

I've seen some quibbling online about the video presentation, mostly a to-do over the director's quick-cutting style. I rather enjoyed it that way, and the quality of the video is outstanding even if one doesn't like the editing.

However there is little to quibble about with regard to the music. It's simply monumental. I clapped after almost every song. Yes, I clapped at a five-year-old video. The Two Jims Theatre never sounded better: the drums pounded my chest, the kick drum thumped out of those four 2242 drivers with unbelievable authority, the bass line was stunning without being bloated, the guitar work was impressively powerful without grating or shrieking, and the vocals were as clear and easy to hear as if Plant were in the room and as articulate as he ever gets. In fact I understood a few of the lyrics for the first time. The 5.1 DTS Master Audio was terrific.

I stopped at -10 on the volume control, but easily could have gone to 0 or beyond. Everything was clean and effortless. Nevertheless, I've got to ration my hearing to last a good while longer, so...

Now I'm going to have to break down and buy the darn Bluray to add with Jeff Beck's live set tour de force at Ronnie Scott's.

There is life after 50, and these old guys are daring you not to like this monumental performance.
    Out.

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome View Post
    There is life after 50, and these old guys are daring you not to like this monumental performance.
    Ok, I'll get a copy then. Thanks!

I've had the vid & cd on order for abt a week.
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    I've had the vid & cd on order for abt a week.

Loved it .... still sung with passion after all these years ... Take notes Mick !

Quote Originally Posted by richluvsound View Post
    Loved it .... still sung with passion after all these years ... Take notes Mick !
    Yah, I wish I had that level of energy, and talent, and money...
    Out.

I got the combination 2 CD and Bluray before Thanksgiving. I've listened to the CD's but have not got around to watching the Bluray yet. Guess that's on the To Do List.

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome View Post
    There is life after 50...
    Danke für den Hinweis.

I probably have a different version of the CD set.
    Mine have a horrible recording and mastering quality.

Nothing to do with the quality of the music or show !!

P & P were here in '95 and we couldn't make the show , can't remember why , but still regret not seeing the "No Quarter " tour.

Thot that using Middle Eastern backing on some tracks was a great touch.

LATER: listening to the Celebration CD right now ... impressions ?

Page never lost his guitar "licks" ..he's incredible.
    Plant is very good, but past his prime.

recording is good. A keeper.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I think he heard you Rich

Quote Originally Posted by richluvsound View Post
    http://www.nj.com/entertainment/musi...nclude_50.html

The Rolling Stones conclude 50 and Counting with a thunderclap

As for the band’s buoyant frontman, the 69-year-old Jagger continued to astound audiences with his inexhaustibility. With no Stones show on the horizon, he emptied the tank.
    The Moves Like Jagger were in full effect: the horse-rider, in which he gallops across the stage with his legs slightly bowed; the jumping-jack claps over his head as he jogs in place; the imaginary feather-boa, lifted in the air with both fists clenched and swaying; the zombie-walk, wiggling fingers pointed toward the audience like he’s throwing an enchantment; the 360-degree spins in time to Watts’ snare, a sweaty shirt all a-twirl in his hand.
    Your average high school gym teacher, fit as he surely is, would not have survived the paces that Jagger put himself through at the 50 and Counting concerts. This is a man who should be studied by science.

Jagger, as longtime fans know, is goofy, theatrical and in passionate love with his own performance capabilities. He can be something of an ass, as he proved by telling a stale Jersey joke, but most of the time, he’s downright endearing.
    It was Jagger who had to break the news that Saturday’s show would be the final 50 and Counting stop. As he did, he came off like a rambunctious toddler who wanted to keep bouncing around, but was being dragged home by exhausted parents.

When he said he hoped the Stones would see everybody soon, he seemed completely sincere. Let’s hope he’s right about that

Thread Information